Players leaving early for the draft

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
If I'm a coach and a player does not play in the bowl game, I would just say if that is your decision, fine. I would also say, by the way, you are not going to the game with us and you will not be on the sidelines with this team if you go on your own.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
He's got a two year old daughter to think about. As a father I can see how that responsibility overrides the other. Believe me, I don't like it either BUT when you watch what happened to Milton at UCF and weigh that against probably millions of dollars in guaranteed money I certainly see not taking the chance.
He could have gotten hurt in any game this year. Just because it is the last game does not change that

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Here’s what needs to happen; people should neither watch nor attend bowl games where players bail on their teammates.
If enough people do it, it will:
Kill bowl games and hasten the eight team playoff.
I’m not watching any bowl game where players skip. Because now, it’s not a reward for the players, it’s just more practice time that benefits returning players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What about the other players who are participating? Just move on from the player and don't support him in the NFL.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
If I'm a coach and a player does not play in the bowl game, I would just say if that is your decision, fine. I would also say, by the way, you are not going to the game with us and you will not be on the sidelines with this team if you go on your own.
I wouldn't allow him in the training room either.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
If you're that worried about getting hurt then just don't put on the pads to start with as you can get hurt on any play at any time. I also would not let them back in the training facility. Want to bail on your team the very last game? workout for the pros somewhere on your own time and own dime.
I don't mean to sound mean or ugly about it but it is a team sport...……….

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I do not like quitters but I agree with earlier posters. Add this, you don’t play in the bowl game, clean out their locker and ban them from the football facility, meal place and everything until after the draft. Let them find their own way until they get drafted. It is harsh but life is tough.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
What about the other players who are participating? Just move on from the player and don't support him in the NFL.
Negative. I don’t care about the “other” players, and they probably don’t care either. Bowl games have become a joke for the majority of P5 teams now, and the committee does a lousy job of giving the public the best matchups.
I’ll watch the bowl games with teams that still have all their players, but the WVU’s, UM’s, LSU’s and any others where underclassmen who are going pro are not going to play (by choice) won’t have me watching.
This nonsense has got to stop, and there aren’t many ways to do that; the best way is to make the games actually matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
TBH, an 8 team playoff is not gonna solve this. It's a matter of (again, my own opinion) people just being a lot more selfish and not being loyal and finishing what you started. I'll still watch some of the bowl games because of the kids who decided to stay.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that Saban might be right here. He believes that the CFP has devalued bowl games so much that the players are opting out. In other words, Saban blames this on the CFP. I tend to agree with him. Not sure how an expanded playoff is going to help. None of these guys skipping their bowl games would have been in an 8 team field other than Gary of UM.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I think that Saban might be right here. He believes that the CFP has devalued bowl games so much that the players are opting out. In other words, Saban blames this on the CFP. I tend to agree with him. Not sure how an expanded playoff is going to help. None of these guys skipping their bowl games would have been in an 8 team field other than Gary of UM.
I’m not really sure I follow that logic. Under the BCS, NONE of the bowl games mattered. Not a single one. And it created worse New Years Day bowl matchups because the top two teams were pulled out of their conference tie-ins for the NC game.

So how does one semifinal round using existing NYD bowls devalue bowl games? If anything I think it added value where none existed under the BCS.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I’m not really sure I follow that logic. Under the BCS, NONE of the bowl games mattered. Not a single one. And it created worse New Years Day bowl matchups because the top two teams were pulled out of their conference tie-ins for the NC game.

So how does one semifinal round using existing NYD bowls devalue bowl games? If anything I think it added value where none existed under the BCS.
I agree that the bowls became less important then, then even less important with the CFP. So the point is still valid - they would only be further devalued if the CFP field was expanded.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I agree that the bowls became less important then, then even less important with the CFP. So the point is still valid - they would only be further devalued if the CFP field was expanded.
Devalued as in - gone? I see no problem there - top 15, #1 gets a bye then plays lowest ranked winner, etc. Drop one regular season game, do away with CCG’s. That way you could keep 14 bowls (playoff games).
These games would be worth watching AND playing in.
If you still want to keep the lower tier bowls for MAC, Sunbelt etc. fine. They are usually entertaining anyway and those schools need the revenue.
None of this will ever happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dabamafan

2nd Team
May 8, 2002
murfreesboro,tn USA
Speaking as a person that has never made more than 55k in a yrs time (shoulda stayed in school) this is a life changing event for these young men. Probably a once in a lifetime event, although granted they should also get a degree out of this. Not to mention a player playing NOT to get hurt is oft times worse than his backup. 100% agree this stinks to high heaven for fans and teams/universities that have huge investments at stake. Adverse reactions ie, locking them out of the training room, could even influence recruiting . I cannot judge another man without walking in his shoes and dang it I cannot believe I am saying this but it still is only a game.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He's got a two year old daughter to think about. As a father I can see how that responsibility overrides the other. Believe me, I don't like it either BUT when you watch what happened to Milton at UCF and weigh that against probably millions of dollars in guaranteed money I certainly see not taking the chance.
If his daughter is more important than a bowl game, was she also not more important than a Big12 Championship? Isn’t she more important than a college football championship?

If he isn’t playing the game because of risk to his pro career, then why didn’t he walk away after he started showing up as a first round pick in mock drafts ?

We all know why.

He wanted to win the Big12 and a CFP. So it’s not about his kid. It’s about him. Not his family. Not his team. Not his University. It’s about Will not wanting to play another game because there’s nothing in it for him.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
FTR I agree with the others that day it is quitting on your team. I don’t like it or respect it in anyway. I was merely suggesting a possible rationale. Everyone is correct imo that every play this year and before was equally a big risk. Personally I wouldn’t even let him back in the future either. That’s how much I don’t like the decision.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.