Players leaving early for the draft

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I don't really know how to express what I am thinking, but could it be that Coach Saban in encouraging some of these later round pick players to declare for the draft as part of his evaluation of the championship game? Is it possible that there are some players who did not have that championship attitude, so they are being encouraged to move on to make way for players who want to win it all and not be complacent?
I doubt it. He believes in the process.....and seldom deviates from it. Changing an offensive style/approach wasnt an adjustment to the process..... but advising kids to go pro against his beliefs, is.

He'd much prefer to put them on the sidelines and watch -- vs having them move on (at least that's my opnion)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I really think Deionte and Mack could be looking at the second round if a team isn't locked into them. Weak years at a position doesn't always mean players get over-drafted relative to their evaluations. Years like this at ILB and safety are when you see teams pass on the position altogether and try to get their preferred option in the 2nd round when the value lines up.
I know every draft is different, but I've watched several players from Alabama who I believe were much better than Thompson and Wilson fall out of the first round. Now, a 2nd round draft isn't that bad of a deal, so if they do go in the 2nd, I can't seriously fault their decision.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I know every draft is different, but I've watched several players from Alabama who I believe were much better than Thompson and Wilson fall out of the first round. Now, a 2nd round draft isn't that bad of a deal, so if they do go in the 2nd, I can't seriously fault their decision.
Thompson absolutely has all the tools. He just needed 1 more season. IMO, there is a possibility he does well in the NFL.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I really think Deionte and Mack could be looking at the second round if a team isn't locked into them. Weak years at a position doesn't always mean players get over-drafted relative to their evaluations. Years like this at ILB and safety are when you see teams pass on the position altogether and try to get their preferred option in the 2nd round when the value lines up.
I think most mock drafts have them both in mid-late second rounds. That could all change based on how they (or others) perform in the Combine. There always seems to be two prevailing schools of thought 1) draft based on need or 2) draft to take the best available. Like you said, a team might need an ILB or a safety in the early rounds, but may feel there is another player available at another position that presents as a better "value" to the team and could decide to attempt to fill that "need" with a later round pick or via free agency or trade.

I thought Deionte played like his hair was on fire the first half of the year and tailed off toward the end. Mack just seemed lost at times.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Didn't Deionte's play tailor off about the time Diggs went down? Might have been he was trying too hard to cover up the inexperience of Surtain and Smith.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Didn't Deionte's play tailor off about the time Diggs went down? Might have been he was trying too hard to cover up the inexperience of Surtain and Smith.
This is a very good point. Not trusting the other guys to do their job will help you lose your job or give up big plays.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Many of these players may be leaving early BECAUSE of rumor/realization that many of their coaches won't be here next year.... not sure if that's the case for the defense, but of all of the potential juniors we could have lost on offense, we lost them all....

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I get that, but I don't think so....JW/JJ and Irv can all play at the next level.
Many of these players may be leaving early BECAUSE of rumor/realization that many of their coaches won't be here next year.... not sure if that's the case for the defense, but of all of the potential juniors we could have lost on offense, we lost them all....

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
THIS is the real story of Alabama and Nick Saban. True, we lost the championship game and that's great news for everybody else in the college football world.

But the real story is that Alabama looses a bunch of players EVERY YEAR and CNS has had to replace 23 coaches in the past 3 years, YET WE'RE STILL IN THE HUNT EVERY YEAR!!! AND I BELIEVE WE WILL BE IN THE HUNT AGAIN!!!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He and Mack were both out of position often this season. They were out of position because they were trying to do too much. Was this because they didn't trust their team mates, because they were trying to do too much - no idea. But they were out of position. They knew the cost to the over-all defense, but they kept doing it. No idea why Saban let them stay on the field doing it over and over again, but assume that is was because they were doing more good than harm, even with these plays. But, to be frank, that has to stop. Your entire defense relies on every player playing their part and trusting others to play theirs. If one player makes a mistake or misses a tackle, others are in position to pick it up. But if a player makes a mistake and the person who is supposed to be in a position of support is not there - HUGE play results.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I don't really know how to express what I am thinking, but could it be that Coach Saban in encouraging some of these later round pick players to declare for the draft as part of his evaluation of the championship game? Is it possible that there are some players who did not have that championship attitude, so they are being encouraged to move on to make way for players who want to win it all and not be complacent?
This kinda reminds me of after 2013 season when Vinny Sunseri, Adrian Hubbard, and Jeoffrey Pagan declared early. Vinny went Rd 5, Pagan went Rd 6, and Hubbard went underdrafted. There was lots of talk of inflated ability and entitlement among scouts with some of the guys of that class. This year kinda has that same feeling.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
He and Mack were both out of position often this season. They were out of position because they were trying to do too much. Was this because they didn't trust their team mates, because they were trying to do too much - no idea. But they were out of position. They knew the cost to the over-all defense, but they kept doing it. No idea why Saban let them stay on the field doing it over and over again, but assume that is was because they were doing more good than harm, even with these plays. But, to be frank, that has to stop. Your entire defense relies on every player playing their part and trusting others to play theirs. If one player makes a mistake or misses a tackle, others are in position to pick it up. But if a player makes a mistake and the person who is supposed to be in a position of support is not there - HUGE play results.
A former Bama DB under CPB said this very thing to me. He stated that he wasn't big enough to play today, but that under Coach Bryant he wanted players who would be where they were supposed to be...along with fast. Football is the ultimate team game...a violent chess match!

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
This kinda reminds me of after 2013 season when Vinny Sunseri, Adrian Hubbard, and Jeoffrey Pagan declared early. Vinny went Rd 5, Pagan went Rd 6, and Hubbard went underdrafted. There was lots of talk of inflated ability and entitlement among scouts with some of the guys of that class. This year kinda has that same feeling.
Agreed.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The last mock draft I saw on nfl.com has Q, Jonah, Deonte, Josh Jacobs, Mack all going in the first round. Sadly they have Q going to the raiders. I hope this doesn't happen to Q. No one deserves the raiders.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not sure I agree. Four of our guys have solid first round grades - Q, Jonah, Jacobs and D Thompson. The other two, Mack and Irv, are fringe first round guys who may slip into the second. Savion declared because he probably wouldn't see the field as much this year and 3rd round is most likely his ceiling. Not really sure how any of those guys can be compared to Vinny, Pagan and Hubbard who never received 1st or 2nd round grades. I'd be shocked if anyone other than Savion hasn't been drafted after the second round. Anywhere from 3 to 6 guys could go in the first..

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Mack might go in the second round but Deionte is the best safety in the draft. I think that one play in championship game has everyone forgetting all the other great plays he made with his range. I am hearing he was always out of position now. Go back and look at the games he was hardly ever out of position. There are times he even came down for run fits. Do it all safety who can cover and bring the wood. If Mac goes by the second round hard to say he lost money the way the new NFL contracts work. They all have to wait 4 years to hit free agency. I think everyone thinks Mac regressed under the coaching he got this year. Next year he should get better coaching and have nothing to worry about other than playing football. Another thing about the NFL they don't like finished players. They are going to love Mac and thinking about how much he is going to improve under their tutelage. Say what you will about missing tackles and bad angles, you can never say he did not play hard every play (not saying you said that). He gave everything he had and left it on the field every game. My prediction Deionte first round pick easy he is and upgrade to about 10 teams in the league. Mac could sneak in to the first round but likely first half of the second round.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.