Players leaving early for the draft

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Kyler Murrary going to NFL draft. He won't last two years in NFL.
Doesn't really mean anything that he announced for the draft today. His next deadline is spring training report date for the A's which is in February. At that point he'll have to decide if he wants to go to the scouting combine or spring training. He had to declare for the NFL draft today to keep both choices open..

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Doesn't really mean anything that he announced for the draft today. His next deadline is spring training report date for the A's which is in February. At that point he'll have to decide if he wants to go to the scouting combine or spring training. He had to declare for the NFL draft today to keep both choices open..
Sounds like he (and more likely Boras) want to play chicken, with Billy Boy, and try to extort more money out of them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sounds like he (and more likely Boras) want to play chicken, with Billy Boy, and try to extort more money out of them.
He knows that he can get much more guaranteed money from his first NFL contract than he is currently getting from MLB, so why not? He may never get this opportunity again.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
He knows that he can get much more guaranteed money from his first NFL contract than he is currently getting from MLB, so why not? He may never get this opportunity again.
My question is what team is going to chance drafting a 5'8" (if that) 175 lb. quarterback? I just don't see it. Is he going to convert to receiver or another skill position? He's one freak of an athlete but I don't see this ending well for him if he suits up in the NFL.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
This kinda reminds me of after 2013 season when Vinny Sunseri, Adrian Hubbard, and Jeoffrey Pagan declared early. Vinny went Rd 5, Pagan went Rd 6, and Hubbard went underdrafted. There was lots of talk of inflated ability and entitlement among scouts with some of the guys of that class. This year kinda has that same feeling.
Sunseri was on the NO Saints roster a couple of years....Hubbard claimed that his coach at Bama (Steele??) badmouthed him. Pagan made a roster but quickly dropped out of sight. DT and MW are better athletes and should make a team...DT will probably be 1st round...not too sure about MW...but what do I know? Zero...

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I really think Deionte and Mack could be looking at the second round if a team isn't locked into them. Weak years at a position doesn't always mean players get over-drafted relative to their evaluations. Years like this at ILB and safety are when you see teams pass on the position altogether and try to get their preferred option in the 2nd round when the value lines up.
It’s curious, they both had great starts to the year. In fact, at one point they were both considered hands down 1st round picks.

All it’s going to take to get them back to 1st round consideration is great combines. Mack I think is more of a long shot than Thompson, but I still think both will be taken within the first couple picks of their respective positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I saw where if he is drafted in the first round the guaranteed money in the NFL is better but if were to drop to the 2nd round then the baseball guaranteed would be better. From what we are hearing he would be a 1st round NFL so if it is the money he should go football.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I also wonder how much of it is an instant gratification thing. Much easier to be an instant impact guy in the NFL than it is to slum it through a farm system for 2-3 years.

Also much easier to use baseball as a fallback in case your career doesn’t pan out than it is to use the NFL for the same purpose. End of the day, the odds were stacked against baseball, and it was somewhat shortsighted for the A’s to take him as high as they did. (Easy to say in hindsight)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I also wonder how much of it is an instant gratification thing. Much easier to be an instant impact guy in the NFL than it is to slum it through a farm system for 2-3 years.

Also much easier to use baseball as a fallback in case your career doesn’t pan out than it is to use the NFL for the same purpose. End of the day, the odds were stacked against baseball, and it was somewhat shortsighted for the A’s to take him as high as they did. (Easy to say in hindsight)

Not sure the A's or any of us thought Kyler would be a NFL 1st round pick/Heisman trophy winner when they drafted him.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Not sure the A's or any of us thought Kyler would be a NFL 1st round pick/Heisman trophy winner when they drafted him.
Agreed. I didn’t see this season coming from Murray. With that said, he was a top recruit, he was well established as a talented athlete, and playing for a system that inflates a qb’s stats. It was a calculated gamble by the A’s to take a football player that high, and it’s now quite likely to be a bet they lose.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
I saw where if he is drafted in the first round the guaranteed money in the NFL is better but if were to drop to the 2nd round then the baseball guaranteed would be better. From what we are hearing he would be a 1st round NFL so if it is the money he should go football.
10 years in MLB as a premier player will be much better than a mediocre 1 and done in the NFL.
Plus he can WALK when he hangs up his cleats. It's a no brainer decision. He is probably milking the golden goose for all they are worth.

I can't blame him for that, so are they !

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
10 years in MLB as a premier player will be much better than a mediocre 1 and done in the NFL.
Plus he can WALK when he hangs up his cleats. It's a no brainer decision. He is probably milking the golden goose for all they are worth.

I can't blame him for that, so are they !
Pretty sure Kyler has always preferred football to baseball. I could be wrong but I thought it was well known. I think that's why the decision is far from a brainer for him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A lot of players rated higher that Murray have never made it out of the minors - thousands or them. Would you take $20MM today, fully guaranteed, or the MLB contract? If it were me, I'd take the NFL contract and see where it takes me. If it doesn't work out, try MLB again in a few years.

And remember, if he falls in the NFL draft, MLB is still going to be willing to pay him no matter their posturing right now. He isn't risking anything.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Depends where he is drafted. This year's "Clevleand" just hired a guy who just might be goofy enough to pick him first.

In which case..............

He could be the next JaMarcus Russell, and be set for life.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
A lot of players rated higher that Murray have never made it out of the minors - thousands or them. Would you take $20MM today, fully guaranteed, or the MLB contract? If it were me, I'd take the NFL contract and see where it takes me. If it doesn't work out, try MLB again in a few years.

And remember, if he falls in the NFL draft, MLB is still going to be willing to pay him no matter their posturing right now. He isn't risking anything.
Certain skills in baseball are locks - speed, a strong arm and good glove will take you far. I don’t think Otis Nixon has KM’s arm, and he batted .270 with many of those hits infield (back then I watched the Braves a lot). He played 16 years.
I get what everyone is saying; he might get money quicker in the NFL. He has to be 100% committed whichever way he goes, and I’m not sure he will ever be that committed, especially when times get tough. I just think (having never seen him play baseball) he’ll have a better future in baseball. The A’s obviously have seen him play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.