Players leaving early for the draft

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
It is happening, free agency in college football. The transfer rules will have to be addressed. I’m thinking 6 games into freshman year, or after sophomore year . Or a proven hardship. Even the NFL has control over a player for 4-5 years depending on draft round!

I saw a report 7 Penn State players have entered the transfer portal. I can see a team like Alabama, Georgia, OU or any other big name program that recruits well , losing a senior class, 5-7 Juniors to the NFL , and 5-7 transfers in a year .

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'm ready for Kyler to be irrelevant again. Sorry. Just don't like him. Like someone said, Manziel 2.0 but without the OxyContin.
Hard for me to get upset with a kid that won 3 championships, for our HS.

I'll put all the blame where it belongs: Daddy Murray and "The Great Satan" (Boras). Much easier, and probably has better mass appeal.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Exactly how tall is Kyler Murray anyway?

Drew Brees listed at 6-0

Baker Mayfield listed at 6-1

Russell Wilson listed at 5-11

With the OU assist SID saying he measured at 5'9 7/8 without socks, he would be an inch+ shorter than all three. That's pretty significant.
Having seen him, in person, albeit years ago..........................5' 10" would be my guess. He has put on a few pounds, but not much.

Maybe he will one-up Neon Deion, and not only play 2 sports, but play football, as a starter, on both sides of the ball.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Having seen him, in person, albeit years ago..........................5' 10" would be my guess. He has put on a few pounds, but not much.

Maybe he will one-up Neon Deion, and not only play 2 sports, but play football, as a starter, on both sides of the ball.

I don't actually believe Tua is 6'1", either. Murray is a lot shorter.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I have seen a few mock drafts that list him as QB/WR.
I can see Murray as WR like Edelman at the Patriots. I don't think there is big money for him at that position; not right off anyway. Murray can throw the ball and I think that is what he wants to do in the NFL.

Murray's performance as an NFL QB would likely be worse than it was vs Bama. If Bama had taken advantage of the interception opportunities, Murray's numbers would have really sucked in that game.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I've seen videos where you can truly see Tua is a great kid. Great family -- great attitude.

I've yet to see one where I thought Kyler was a great guy. Not necessarily a bad one...... just limited personality wise

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've seen videos where you can truly see Tua is a great kid. Great family -- great attitude.

I've yet to see one where I thought Kyler was a great guy. Not necessarily a bad one...... just limited personality wise
In the interviews that I have seen, he appears to be as humble as you could reasonably expect a person to be who has been placed on a pedestal for most of his life. His father - not so much.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

I don't actually believe Tua is 6'1", either. Murray is a lot shorter.
Kyler is around 5'7" or 5'8". I agree Tua is probably 5'11" or 6' even. That tells you how short he is. I hope the kid does well in the NFL. I don't want to see any of these guys fail. If i like them or not they have all worked their butts off to get to this point and after they leave college I really have no dog in the hunt.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
In the interviews that I have seen, he appears to be as humble as you could reasonably expect a person to be who has been placed on a pedestal for most of his life. His father - not so much.
"Humble" can easily be faked......

Just read any of Mack's tweets over the past year.... ;)

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've seen nothing from Murray, Haskins, or Tua that made me think any of them were anything but genuine. Not gonna disparage any of them, they all seem like good dudes and represent their respective universities with class.

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
Wasn't sure where to put this, or even if I should post this. I happen to be good friends with a guy whose son starts for Clemson. We spoke again yesterday. His son made it clear that literally everything the Tide did on defense, the offense expected and was prepared for. Absolutely NOTHING we did, confused them. Further, he said the defensive line of ND was better than Bama, which was surprising since in the prior two years he was extremely impressed with our D line.
After the game, he spoke to a few Bama guys he mentioned to me by name. I will not name them..but three basically told him the same thing.." Ok,,,you beat us, but I'm gonna be rich very soon."

Kind of puts this loss into a different perspective for me. BTW..said Tua could not have been more gracious.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Wasn't sure where to put this, or even if I should post this. I happen to be good friends with a guy whose son starts for Clemson. We spoke again yesterday. His son made it clear that literally everything the Tide did on defense, the offense expected and was prepared for. Absolutely NOTHING we did, confused them. Further, he said the defensive line of ND was better than Bama, which was surprising since in the prior two years he was extremely impressed with our D line.
After the game, he spoke to a few Bama guys he mentioned to me by name. I will not name them..but three basically told him the same thing.." Ok,,,you beat us, but I'm gonna be rich very soon."

Kind of puts this loss into a different perspective for me. BTW..said Tua could not have been more gracious.
I think most of us on here understand that kids heads sometimes get in the way of their abilities. That most undoubtedly had something to do with the way our guys played that night...not taking anything away from Clemson's players, they played great, flawlessly!! As in racing the best car doesn't always win. Clemson just won the last race very convincingly!!! ;)

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I hate to hear this. If I were a scout and I saw how poorly a player played against the highest college competition, I would have to hold that against that player when it came to choosing him in the draft. That "competitive spirit" may not be there or the discipline is missing.

If you can't hold yourself accountable in college when the program has all these measures in place to help you, what will you do in the professional world when the coaches aren't holding your hand making you do the "little things" to get better.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Not questioning you, but that quote seems dubious. First, he is already rich by most standards since he has already been paid millions of dollars by the A's to play baseball. The "very soon" makes the quote wrong, and therefore questionable. Second, he would have been talking to men who will also be very rich soon, so it would be meaningless. It would be like Bill Gates bragging to Warren Buffet that he was rich.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.