Players leaving early for the draft - Page 3
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Players leaving early for the draft

Quote Originally Posted by Bama9001 View Post
    Surprised to see players from playoff teams declaring.
    Someone from a CFP team is not playing?

BamaNation All-American Tide Rev's Avatar

I do not like quitters but I agree with earlier posters. Add this, you donít play in the bowl game, clean out their locker and ban them from the football facility, meal place and everything until after the draft. Let them find their own way until they get drafted. It is harsh but life is tough.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    What about the other players who are participating? Just move on from the player and don't support him in the NFL.
    Negative. I donít care about the ďotherĒ players, and they probably donít care either. Bowl games have become a joke for the majority of P5 teams now, and the committee does a lousy job of giving the public the best matchups.
    Iíll watch the bowl games with teams that still have all their players, but the WVUís, UMís, LSUís and any others where underclassmen who are going pro are not going to play (by choice) wonít have me watching.
    This nonsense has got to stop, and there arenít many ways to do that; the best way is to make the games actually matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

TBH, an 8 team playoff is not gonna solve this. It's a matter of (again, my own opinion) people just being a lot more selfish and not being loyal and finishing what you started. I'll still watch some of the bowl games because of the kids who decided to stay.
    Formerly known as BamaInCummingGa

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Players leaving early for the draft

Deleted
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

I think that Saban might be right here. He believes that the CFP has devalued bowl games so much that the players are opting out. In other words, Saban blames this on the CFP. I tend to agree with him. Not sure how an expanded playoff is going to help. None of these guys skipping their bowl games would have been in an 8 team field other than Gary of UM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RammerJammer14's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think that Saban might be right here. He believes that the CFP has devalued bowl games so much that the players are opting out. In other words, Saban blames this on the CFP. I tend to agree with him. Not sure how an expanded playoff is going to help. None of these guys skipping their bowl games would have been in an 8 team field other than Gary of UM.
    Iím not really sure I follow that logic. Under the BCS, NONE of the bowl games mattered. Not a single one. And it created worse New Years Day bowl matchups because the top two teams were pulled out of their conference tie-ins for the NC game.

So how does one semifinal round using existing NYD bowls devalue bowl games? If anything I think it added value where none existed under the BCS.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer14 View Post
    I’m not really sure I follow that logic. Under the BCS, NONE of the bowl games mattered. Not a single one. And it created worse New Years Day bowl matchups because the top two teams were pulled out of their conference tie-ins for the NC game.

So how does one semifinal round using existing NYD bowls devalue bowl games? If anything I think it added value where none existed under the BCS.
    I agree that the bowls became less important then, then even less important with the CFP. So the point is still valid - they would only be further devalued if the CFP field was expanded.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I agree that the bowls became less important then, then even less important with the CFP. So the point is still valid - they would only be further devalued if the CFP field was expanded.
    Devalued as in - gone? I see no problem there - top 15, #1 gets a bye then plays lowest ranked winner, etc. Drop one regular season game, do away with CCGís. That way you could keep 14 bowls (playoff games).
    These games would be worth watching AND playing in.
    If you still want to keep the lower tier bowls for MAC, Sunbelt etc. fine. They are usually entertaining anyway and those schools need the revenue.
    None of this will ever happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Devalued as in - gone?
    No, devalued as in, no one cares except for the people making $$$ on the games (and us desperate fans wishing the season would last forever).

BamaNation Second Team

Speaking as a person that has never made more than 55k in a yrs time (shoulda stayed in school) this is a life changing event for these young men. Probably a once in a lifetime event, although granted they should also get a degree out of this. Not to mention a player playing NOT to get hurt is oft times worse than his backup. 100% agree this stinks to high heaven for fans and teams/universities that have huge investments at stake. Adverse reactions ie, locking them out of the training room, could even influence recruiting . I cannot judge another man without walking in his shoes and dang it I cannot believe I am saying this but it still is only a game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    He's got a two year old daughter to think about. As a father I can see how that responsibility overrides the other. Believe me, I don't like it either BUT when you watch what happened to Milton at UCF and weigh that against probably millions of dollars in guaranteed money I certainly see not taking the chance.
    If his daughter is more important than a bowl game, was she also not more important than a Big12 Championship? Isn’t she more important than a college football championship?

If he isn’t playing the game because of risk to his pro career, then why didn’t he walk away after he started showing up as a first round pick in mock drafts ?

We all know why.

He wanted to win the Big12 and a CFP. So it’s not about his kid. It’s about him. Not his family. Not his team. Not his University. It’s about Will not wanting to play another game because there’s nothing in it for him.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

FTR I agree with the others that day it is quitting on your team. I donít like it or respect it in anyway. I was merely suggesting a possible rationale. Everyone is correct imo that every play this year and before was equally a big risk. Personally I wouldnít even let him back in the future either. Thatís how much I donít like the decision.