Players leaving early for the draft - Page 6
Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Players leaving early for the draft

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    LSU recruits well and a lot of them play in the league but they haven’t played in a bowl that counted for something in almost a decade. How often do you hear players leaving a playoff team before the semi-final?
    So the standard now is that players only have to stay with their team if they have something to gain?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    So the standard now is that players only have to stay with their team if they have something to gain?
    I didn't create the standard, but it appears to be the case. I don't like it but that seems to be exactly what is happening in college football.

I don't like it, but in a lot of ways the bowl games are going back to being exhibitions that don't mean anything. They rose to prominent, they were integral to deciding champions, and now they once again are meaningless and relegated to being exhibitions. I find it unfortunate, but I do think what we're seeing is in part a reaction (there is also of course a rise in players thinking only about themselves).

The simple fact though is either they have to figure out how to bring relevance back to the bowl games (I'd start with getting rid of the most meaningless ones), or this trend will only become worse. It will end up like the Pro Bowl, where no one takes it seriously and they have trouble getting people to participate sometimes. It's a shame, because the bowl games have such rich history.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

In order for this to stop, the players are going to have to be honest about how they feel and call out their team mates. Players pretend that they support their peers in this stuff, but they do not. It bothers them as much as it bothers us.

I would love to hear a coach call out one of his players for this. I would love for NFL GMs to speak out about it. Neither of those is going to happen.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

If they could connect something of value to the bowl games....that might change it.

$500 per player to the winning team -- or something similar.....

After all it is an exhibition
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Players leaving early for the draft

If they think theyíre gonna go in the first round, pretty much. Anyone else is throwing away an opportunity to improve their draft stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    If they could connect something of value to the bowl games....that might change it.

$500 per player to the winning team -- or something similar.....

After all it is an exhibition
    The problem with players making money for playing in bowl games, or National Championships is guys who play would be considered Pro's by the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    The problem with players making money for playing in bowl games, or National Championships is guys who play would be considered Pro's by the NCAA.
    Ironically there's some really nice swag the players are allowed to get.

I wonder if the ones sitting out get the stuff to?
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    He's got a two year old daughter to think about. As a father I can see how that responsibility overrides the other. Believe me, I don't like it either BUT when you watch what happened to Milton at UCF and weigh that against probably millions of dollars in guaranteed money I certainly see not taking the chance.
    There's a special about him on ESPN, she's not hurting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    ESPN article on Loss of Value Insurance. From last year.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...-get-insurance

According to industry professionals, the general rule is that a top-10 pick will qualify for $10 million of permanent total disability with a $5 million loss-of-value rider. The 10 to 20 picks would be looking at $5 to $7.5 million of PTD and $2 to $3 million in loss of value. Picks in the 20 to 30 pick range would be around $5 million total disability.

There are NCAA rules that allow athletics department officials to help secure policies and there are also funds available at each university that can be used to pay for the insurance policies if the programs want to allocate money for that purpose.

If a player gets injured with LOV insurance, they could still lose a bunch of money.

NCAA Insurance:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/student-athlete-insurance-programs

Student-Athlete Insurance Programs

Catastrophic Insurance Program

The NCAA sponsors a Catastrophic Injury Insurance Program which covers the student-athlete who is catastrophically injured while participating in a covered intercollegiate athletic activity. The policy has a $90,000 deductible and provides benefits in excess of any other valid and collectible insurance.

Exceptional Student-Athlete Disability Insurance Program

In October 1990, a disability insurance program was initiated for exceptional student-athletes at National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) institutions in the sports of football and menís basketball. In April 1991, the program was expanded to include exceptional student- athletes in the sport of baseball. In June 1993, exceptional student-athletes in menís ice hockey became eligible for the program. Coverage became available for exceptional student-athletes in the sport of womenís basketball in August 1998.
    The program enables qualifying student-athletes, as approved by the program administrator, to purchase a disability insurance contract with pre-approved financing, if necessary. This program will provide the student-athlete with the opportunity to protect against future loss of earnings as a professional athlete due to a disabling injury or sickness that may occur during the collegiate career.
    Eligible student-athletes
    Student-athletes with remaining athletics eligibility at NCAA institutions in the sports of intercollegiate football, menís or womenís basketball, baseball, or menís ice hockey, who have demonstrated they have professional potential to be selected in the first two rounds of the upcoming National Football League or National Hockey League draft or the first round of the upcoming draft of the National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball or Womenís National Basketball Association, are eligible for this program.
    Application process
    Only inquiries received directly from student-athletes, parents or legal guardians of student-athletes, or institutional representatives will be processed by the administrator under this program.
    To obtain a quote, an Application Form must be completed in full and returned to the administrator. If approved, a premium quote will be prepared and returned, along with financing information and additional health-related questionnaire forms. In order to accept a quote and for coverage to become effective: (1) the application and health forms must be fully completed accurately and truthfully and returned to the administrator, and (2) the promissory note must be signed and returned to the bank. For further information, please contact the program administrator, Tokio Marine HCC Ė Specialty Group, 401 Edgewater Place, Suite 400, Wakefield, Massachusetts 01880; telephone: 800/927-6306; fax: 781/994-6001.
    Premium financing
    Student-athletes approved for this program are automatically eligible for a loan, if necessary, through U.S. Bank, N.A., Sports Division, in Nashville, TN. The interest rate is very competitive and a co-signer is not required. The student-athlete is obligated to repay the loan in full when any of the following occurs: (1) the student-athlete signs a professional contract, (2) the disability benefits becomes available due to a covered injury or sickness or (3) the coverage is no longer in effect and the loan note matures.

Yet it's still more than most people make in a lifetime of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

Looks like the rumors were true... Oregon QB Justin Herbert is returning to school rather than going pro. He was expected to be a top 10 pick.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Looks like the rumors were true... Oregon QB Justin Herbert is returning to school rather than going pro. He was expected to be a top 10 pick.
    Wow!
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

So, dream of a national championship? To graduate?