Players leaving early for the draft

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
While you are 100% correct as a whole, at Bama there's a great process for helping the student/athlete make that decision. And while not fool proof, it's pretty solid.
So I’ve seen reports that there were players from the SEC numbered in the teens as first rounders. Problem is, if you think about it, there is no way this is true. There are over a hundred FBS schools and I don’t know how many FCS schools. There are 32 first round picks. There’s always some random guy you’ve never heard of that’s drafted early from some two-bit school you know nothing about on the FCS level. The numbers just don’t work out.
Some of these guys hear “first round” and are ready to jump regardless of what the truth is, because SOMEONE said they were first round material. You can probably find through multiple sources that we have 8-10 “first rounders” on the team in Seniors and draft eligible Juniors. That’s almost a third of the round. Anybody with one eye and half sense knows this can’t happen. So someone slips down the board and slips again and again. While the player is sitting there realizing they may have messed up coming out early and have let themselves and their college teammates down. Look at how many draft eligible Juniors have come out and ended up not drafted at all, and they can’t redo their decision and go back to school and work hard to get drafted. Seems like it was quite a large number last year.
Some of these guys really need to think hard as to what one more year might do for them with the support staff in place at UA vs rolling the dice and hoping for an early first round pick.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
While you are 100% correct as a whole, at Bama there's a great process for helping the student/athlete make that decision. And while not fool proof, it's pretty solid.
Bama has had very few players leave early that shouldn't. ArDarius Stewart was one, and that's about the only one in the last decade really.

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
Dexter Lawerence, Trayvon Mullen and Tre Lamar all leaving Clemson. That is one little suprise in Mullen and a huge suprise in Lemar.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Damian Harris , last I saw was the #1 rated RB in the draft. Now that might change if /when JJ declares. With 2 kids , declaring for the draft probably his best decision.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
Always nice to get an experienced player like Davis back, but I hope we get more of what saw at the end of 2017 than what we got this year. Just wasn’t the same player this year.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Not even counting seniors - I think the number of juniors declaring would take almost the first two rounds to be drafted.
Obviously, that won’t happen and some will fall to fourth or fifth round, or later.
I’m hoping most of them HAVE to go for financial reasons, otherwise they are going to lose a lot of money by not staying in college another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaTilDeath

Scout Team
Jun 3, 2017
Absolutely. Wilson and Thompson did not impress anyone thexsecond half of the season. Thompson actually hurt us more than he helped. Some costly penalties and letting to many people get behind him.
Davis, Thompson, & Wilson didn't seem to progress this season. Davis seemed capable of getting pressure on a QB. I can't remember a game this year where he had a solo sack. Thompson seemed confident and reacted with a burst to the ball in '17 and specifically against Louisville game in' 18. In '16 and '17 seasons, Wilson definitely made more plays with Foster & Hamilton beside him at LB. Now, he seemed to be thinking and reacting late and making false steps toward the ball. To me, their lack of progression is a reflection of the position coaches and DC not putting them in positions to succeed. I don't know what the answer is to fix this issue, but I have confidence in Coach Saban to right the ship.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
SO we heard two people coming back. Diggs and Davis. Mack hasn't announced... I expect THompson to leave... IF Mack doesn't announce by tomorrow, I'm going to assume he's entering in NFL.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
SO we heard two people coming back. Diggs and Davis. Mack hasn't announced... I expect THompson to leave... IF Mack doesn't announce by tomorrow, I'm going to assume he's entering in NFL.
At least Thompson is still thinking about it, but he is a 1st rounder. Alabama could benefit from his return more than anyone else on your defense (other than Q, who HAS to go).

JMO, but if Mack goes, you might actually be better off next year. He has a world of talent, but he can't turn it into consistent play. Kaho is going to be a star.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
At least Thompson is still thinking about it, but he is a 1st rounder. Alabama could benefit from his return more than anyone else on your defense (other than Q, who HAS to go).

JMO, but if Mack goes, you might actually be better off next year. He has a world of talent, but he can't turn it into consistent play. Kaho is going to be a star.
You have to wonder how much of that was coaching. I think we lost some experience there this year. JP's lost was felt. Having said that all those guys got a year of experience so they may just coach lights out next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.