Players leaving early for the draft

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
At least Thompson is still thinking about it, but he is a 1st rounder. Alabama could benefit from his return more than anyone else on your defense (other than Q, who HAS to go).

JMO, but if Mack goes, you might actually be better off next year. He has a world of talent, but he can't turn it into consistent play. Kaho is going to be a star.
This!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Thompson seemed confident and reacted with a burst to the ball in '17 and specifically against Louisville game in' 18.
Not to bash a player, but my non-Alabama fan friend I watched the game with was more than a little exasperated by Thompson peaking into the back field as a wideout streaked past him towards the end zone. He said, "you need to be as deep as the deepest opposing player. You are the last line of defense. It is in your job title."

Thompson is a physically talented player, but he would be well-served if he stopped peaking into the backfield. His eyes mislead him sometimes.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Not to bash a player, but my non-Alabama fan friend I watched the game with was more than a little exasperated by Thompson peaking into the back field as a wideout streaked past him towards the end zone. He said, "you need to be as deep as the deepest opposing player. You are the last line of defense. It is in your job title."

Thompson is a physically talented player, but he would be well-served if he stopped peaking into the backfield. His eyes mislead him sometimes.
His misread on the 3rd and 12 early in the game really set the tone and not in a good way.

He seemed to regress as the season went on.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
His misread on the 3rd and 12 early in the game really set the tone and not in a good way.

He seemed to regress as the season went on.
I think that both he and Mack tried to play the role of hero too often in this defense, putting themselves out of position. But Thompson had a number of monster games. I can see him returning to form. I am just not as sure about Mack, and Kaho makes it easier to see him go if that is his choice. You don't really have anyone ready to step into Thompson's shoes.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Mack’s mom told the Montgomery Advertiser in December he would be coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Some rumblings an offensive player might return that would surprise some folks.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
I remember seeing preseason that Jonah was really looking to play out his eligibility. Him or Irv is my guess, slightly favoring Jonah. Jacobs with two kids now, almost has to go.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Davis, Thompson, & Wilson didn't seem to progress this season. Davis seemed capable of getting pressure on a QB. I can't remember a game this year where he had a solo sack. Thompson seemed confident and reacted with a burst to the ball in '17 and specifically against Louisville game in' 18. In '16 and '17 seasons, Wilson definitely made more plays with Foster & Hamilton beside him at LB. Now, he seemed to be thinking and reacting late and making false steps toward the ball. To me, their lack of progression is a reflection of the position coaches and DC not putting them in positions to succeed. I don't know what the answer is to fix this issue, but I have confidence in Coach Saban to right the ship.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Wilson regressed imo. With what we have coming in and competition, he will need to work his butt off in spring/fall camp to maintain his position on the depth chart. He vastly underachieved this year and it showed all season long.

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
There was one point, after the game, where a camera focused on Jonah Williams. The look on his face made me have a feeling that he was contemplating coming back. THAT would be awesome, but any of the big contributors would be a welcome return next year.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Irv

Looks like Murray is going to test the NFL waters...

https://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/A-s-draftee-Kyler-Murray-will-not-play-both-13521091.php

Having Irv back would be huge. I'm thinking more of the players that can declare early are not happy with how the season ended and want to make another run at it. It will be good to get back whoever we can because that means we will have more seniors to add to the leadership thats focused on winning a championship. But I know the staff will encourage them to make the best decision possible, especially if they can go early in the draft.

BamaTilDeath

Scout Team
Jun 3, 2017
There was one point, after the game, where a camera focused on Jonah Williams. The look on his face made me have a feeling that he was contemplating coming back. THAT would be awesome, but any of the big contributors would be a welcome return next year.
I know one play doesn't define a player's college football career, but there's a play against Clemson were Jonah gets bull rushed and he lands on his back. I think Tua is sacked on the play by 2 defenders. That play shocked me because Jonah usually uses great technique, but that's the first time I've seen him placed on his back.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
It looked like he came off the line off balance or got stepped on. That play was messed up from the get go.
I know one play doesn't define a player's college football career, but there's a play against Clemson were Jonah gets bull rushed and he lands on his back. I think Tua is sacked on the play by 2 defenders. That play shocked me because Jonah usually uses great technique, but that's the first time I've seen him placed on his back.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
I've seen Irv described as a devastating blocker and as a liability as a blocker. Not sure which is true but if the latter that would be a really good reason to return. The NFL doesn't have much need for TEs that aren't good blockers. Come back, bulk up some more, become a better blocker, and then go to the NFL as a higher draft pick.

Experts, is he a good blocker or not?

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South
As Toddrn said, Jonah was off balance. Tua moved to his left while Jonah was blocking for the pocket, which benefited the rusher. It wasn't a simple case of bad technique or overpowering by the D line.

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think Mack should return, but just my opinion. He struggled with his reads and you can see the defense moving and looking lost on quite a few plays. Mack has the physical ability, but just need to work more on getting the defense in the right alignment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.