Players leaving early for the draft

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Duke’s QB, a former walk-on leaving early. This puzzles me, is he 1st rd material?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/s...potential-first-round-pick-declares-nfl-draft
He’s rated very highly based on measurables, and partially because of Cutcliffe’s reputation as a QB guru. Had a solid season, but he’s still very raw.

Unlike last year, I don’t see a single franchise qb in this year’s class, or a single guy ready to start immediately. Jones being rated this highly is more a symptom of a weak class moreso than a reflection of his talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
depending on financial situations...2nd or even 3rd money is legit when you've been broke your entire life. i dont blame those guys if their finances warrant leaving early
Also they may be looking at who might be coming out next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
That's a lot of RB's making a bad decision.
Folks that don’t follow the NFL might think this but it’s a totally different league than it used to be. Yes, you have the Zeke Elliott, Gurleys, and Fournettes but you also have the Damien Williams types (no name who just got 2 year contract at 9 million). The NFL uses RBs so differently now that just because you are a 4th-7th round pick doesn’t mean you’re not going to succeed. A lot of rbs today in the NFL are late round picks. They make the team and that’s all that matters. Stay in the league is the biggest factor but they will get paid. It’s why despite his seemingly lack of big time production NFL scouts are drooling over Josh Jacobs. He checks off ALL the boxes and then some (Special Teams both kicking and receiving) of the modern pro RB. I will be SHOCKED if he gets past 40 and wouldn’t be surprised if he gets snagged at the end of RD 1 like Michel did last year because he’s very similar. Also keep in mind that the shelf life of the RB is lower than other positions but that too is changing as well.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
So, dream of a national championship? To graduate?
Some people (see Damien Harris & Jonathan Allen) who love the college experience. Damien will be forever loved and engrained in Capstone lore for his example and leadership from this year off the field as much as anything he’s done on the field. Some think his stock was higher last year but I disagree with that. Anyway next year and the next QB draft classes are like 1983 like. It’s going to be LOADED. I mean like first 5-6 picks loaded.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Almost found this unbelievable. Dwayne Haskins will be the first B1G QB drafted in the first round since Kerry Collins in 1995!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.