UGA fans scratching their heads - interesting stats & recruiting comparison

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Georgia fans are obsessed with stars and beating Alabama in recruiting. They believe that's where Coach Saban's magic comes from but if anything that list of stats proves that even though they're close to parity star wise and youth Bama still outscored them 24-0 in the fourth quarter.

Most people misunderstand the star ratings anyway. Talent and athleticism are just one marker. The primary difference in a 5 star versus say a 3 star is not talent it's readiness to play or start at the college level. That could mean from a size, weight or experience level one player could be higher rated than another.

We've all seen some player's star rating go up once Alabama makes an offer because recruitment analysts know Coach Saban has a great player evaluation process.
For example:
"I got my three stars when Alabama offered," (Josh) Jacobs clarifies. "But before then, I didn't have any stars."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How bout Kirby is just a Saban wannabe and a Richt 2.0.

There was a thread earlier asking what pupil finally beats the master. If Kirby doesn’t do it next year then I would say Jimbo and Pruitt have the best chance because they are real coaches who don’t get over emotional on how a game is going, adjust well vs adversity, and don’t try to BE THE BOSS.

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
I believe another factor in the game was Bama players expected to win. That drive and determination in the face of adversity is the result of coaching and years of establishing the standard. Our players felt it and I suspect, in the back of their minds, the Georgia players did too.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Georgia fans are obsessed with stars and beating Alabama in recruiting. They believe that's where Coach Saban's magic comes from but if anything that list of stats proves that even though they're close to parity star wise and youth Bama still outscored them 24-0 in the fourth quarter.

Most people misunderstand the star ratings anyway. Talent and athleticism are just one marker. The primary difference in a 5 star versus say a 3 star is not talent it's readiness to play or start at the college level. That could mean from a size, weight or experience level one player could be higher rated than another.

We've all seen some player's star rating go up once Alabama makes an offer because recruitment analysts know Coach Saban has a great player evaluation process.
247Sports changed their process to pro potential and they now have 32 five stars per cycle and these are players they feel will be 1st round picks. They used to say a 5* would start in first year, a 4* in the second year, etc... but that is no longer how they evaluate.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
UGA fans scratching their heads - interesting stats & recruiting comparison

Saban has done some crazy things, too. Anyone remember the fake punt early in the Texas game? I was beside myself.
I think the fake punt versus Texas wasn’t called from the sideline but instead was executed by the punter based on a trigger he thought he saw. It turned out to be a false positive and the play was of course very unsuccessful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bat123

All-American
Re: UGA fans scratching their heads - interesting stats & recruiting comparison

I couldn't believe the defensive guy caught the ball, knock down and you get it back at the LOS..... Was worth 3 points anyway
I think the fake punt versus Texas wasn’t called from the sideline but instead was executed by the punter based on a trigger he thought he saw. It turned out to be a false positive and the play was of course very unsuccessful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Agree, and when given the opportunity to kick a fake punt Nick Saban decided that wasn't the right move! ;-) Our coach, well not so much. Kirby is still young and has some things to learn including clock management, player rotation and situational management.
He also needs to learn respect for a man that gave him an opportunity and for which he would not be in his current situation.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Saw this on an UGA board - I honestly didn't realize UGA was pound for pound what Bama is right now, at least recruiting-wise:
Crimson Tide outscored the Dawgs 24-0 in the 4th quarter this year:
8 January 2018 (NCG): 10-0
1 December 2018 (SECCG): 14-0

2018 Scholarship Roster (based on 247Sports Composite Recruiting Rankings):
Alabama (81 rated players avg. 3.86 stars): 12 5-stars, 49 4-stars, 17 3-stars, 3 2-stars
Georgia (84 rated players avg. 3.88 stars): 14 5-stars, 47 4-stars, 22 3-stars, 1 2-star

2018 Scholarship Roster Underclassmen/Upperclassmen:
Alabama: 63% underclassmen (51) and 37% upperclassmen (30)
Georgia: 60.7% underclassmen (51) and 39.3% upperclassmen (33)

Alabama played 51 players (27 underclassmen & 24 upperclassmen) vs. UGA in the 2018 SECCG:
Freshmen: 12
Sophomores: 14
Juniors: 13
Seniors: 11
Alabama started 12 underclassmen & 12 upperclassmen on offense/defense/STs (P & PK) vs. UGA in the 2018 SECCG.

UGA played 53 players (28 underclassmen & 25 upperclassmen) vs. Alabama in the 2018 SECCG:
Freshmen: 14
Sophomores: 14
Juniors: 14
Seniors/Grad Students: 11
UGA started 11 underclassmen & 13 upperclassmen on offense/defense/STs (P & PK) vs. Bama in the 2018 SECCG.

Alabama's 51 players that played in the 2018 SECCG averaged 3.67 stars per player per the 247Sports Composite Recruiting Rankings.

UGA's 53 players that played in the 2018 SECCG averaged 3.70 stars per player per the 247Sports Composite Recruiting Rankings.
It's close, yes, but I thought there was still gap there. Smart has closed the talent gap, but still can't beat Saban = coaching...
The one thing that doesn't show up in these statistics is CHARACTER. CNS will stop recruiting a 5-Star when he finds a Character Flaw. CKS on the other hand...probably not. I would be willing to bet that CNS has told CKS to drop a 5-Star because of Character issues before...and it probably chapped Kirby.

Some Five-Stars are simply toxic poison to your team. Let another program deal with them...:rolleye2:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You guys also have to take the X factor that is Scott Cochran. That is unless someone else has mentioned him already. I remember Kirby trying to lure coach Cochran from Bama during his departure. I think Kirby knew it was going to be difficult to compete against Cochran grown boys.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I have seen it time and time again one team look like the better team for three quarters and then lose in the fourth. It is hard for a team to sustain at the level Georgia played for three quarters against a better overall team like Bama for the whole game.

Bama was easily the best team all year long, but as with Georgia sustaining the level of play in the SEC championship game throughout that they failed to do, it is even harder to sustain the same level of play for a whole season. Bama just did not play high level football as they had most of the season the first three quarters, but played well enough to stay within striking distance for the eventual Georgia let down in the fourth and Bama resurgence.

The best team won the SEC championship no mistake about it!! Just won it a different way than how they had won throughout the season. Georgia wasn't even the second best team throughout the whole season but was playing at a higher level at the end. No team can consistently play perfect throughout a season but Bama has a consistency level unmatched throughout the whole of college football as witnessed by their string of non top 25 team wins, tops by far in the nation.

To beat Bama these days you have to have the Jimmie's and Joe's but even then you got to catch them during one of their lowest levels of performance and get lucky most times then. Auburn caught Bama at the right time last year and Georgia almost did this year.

I have heard some of the pundits on ESPN and other networks say that Georgia was the better team in the SEC championship game and I say hogwash!!! The better team doesn't always win but when they do win and they have been the better team all year....how could Georgia be the better team? No matter what the stars or equal comparisons of teams players be, Georgia is not on par with Bama and in my opinion neither is any other team in the nation this season.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
When he explained it later, he said that he didn't call it at all. The kicker was supposed to fake it if he saw a list of keys, which he saw. Problem was that the receiver on that side (Upchurch, Coffee?) didn't see the same keys...
One kicking play that CNS did call and backfired was the long, long field goal against AU at the end of the 2015 game. When we lined up I said to my wife, "If this is short we could be in real trouble."

Not every call works out...hindsight is 20/20...but the punt was still a dumb call.

Personally I don't believe KS has the "smarts" factor to be a full clone of CNS. If he did he would not have been an assistant for 9 years or whatever it was. He can recruit and he can motivate...have to give him that.

How will his d perform without MT -- going to Colorado and not coaching the bowl game?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In some ways, the NFL draft gives the lie to the recruiting star system. I know that a good college doesn't necessarily = good NFL player, but overall, the draft is illuminating. Here is an insightful post from a Dawg board:

"Alabama played 51 players (27 underclassmen & 24 upperclassmen) vs. UGA in the 2018 SECCG:"
"UGA played 53 players (28 underclassmen & 25 upperclassmen) vs. Alabama in the 2018 SECCG:"
With all due respect this is a better comparison.
UGA had 6 players drafted last year including 3 first rounders and a 2nd rounder, one of their best drafts in years. Well Alabama had 12 players drafted.
This year UGA may have 4 players drafted. **Alabama is going to have at least 10. **
UGA's last 5 recruiting classes: #7, #6, #9, #3, #1. Alabama's last 5: #1, #2, #1, #1, #7. See the difference? And lest you think that Alabama fell off last year: look again. They finished #7 because they only signed 20 players. And they only signed 20 players in 2018 because they signed 29 in 2017. If you look at the point totals. Alabama had 2623 with 20 players where #4 Texas had 2726 with 27! If Alabama signs a typical 23-25 player class it is top 3. Still well behind UGA and Ohio State, but top 3.
UGA's most talented athletes are in their 1st, 2nd and 3rd years. After that there is a steep dropoff. Meanwhile, the only reason why Alabama has so many underclassmen playing is because they lose so many juniors early to the draft.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He's an obvious 4*, even in HS. It just illustrates the difference between Saban's evaluation process and others...
IIRC, Jacobs wasn't a hot recruit because his coach didn't send out his film early in the process and Josh didn't attend camps.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
How bout Kirby is just a Saban wannabe and a Richt 2.0.

There was a thread earlier asking what pupil finally beats the master. If Kirby doesn’t do it next year then I would say Jimbo and Pruitt have the best chance because they are real coaches who don’t get over emotional on how a game is going, adjust well vs adversity, and don’t try to BE THE BOSS.
Wouldn't even give Smart the designation of Richt 2.0 yet. Someone posted in another thread that Rich and Smart have the exact same record after the first 3 years; both are 32-8 with 1 SEC title and almost identical finishes each year. The hard part starts now for Smart..

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.