Jalen Hurts Destination Thread - Where and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'd be really surprised if Hurts stays at Alabama, and despite my unwavering support of him I question if sticking around would be helpful long-term. Either way you look at it, there's max one year of Hurts playing left.

He's had a brilliant career at Alabama. He's #7 in passing yards, tied for #2 in passing TDs (with Tua!), #3 in total yards, and #2 in total TDs. That's pretty amazing for a guy that got almost all his playing time as a true freshman and sophomore. But... I just don't see a future at Alabama that makes much sense.

If he redshirts next year, it would have to be with the understanding that he's ready to go in case of emergency. Well, how do you keep him fresh and ready to go if you're sitting him? Despite being injured last year he still played in 10 games before he came into the Georgia game. If you limit that to 4 games, it's hard to imagine he'd be as ready.

Then there's practice reps. Do you tell the other 4 scholarship quarterbacks behind him they have to give up their reps so Hurts can be ready just in case? Do you also tell them they have to wait around to have a QB battle with a 5th year senior?

There's no question in my mind that Jalen Hurts as a 5th year senior has the potential to be a fantastic quarterback. I'm talking Heisman trophy fantastic, the potential is there. There's very real potential for him to put up one of the all time great seasons at Alabama if he did stay. However, there's just so many variables and so many little things that would be required to get from here to there that I'm not completely sure it is worth it.
My thoughts, almost verbatim! Great post!

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Nick Saban will not play the 4 game redshirt angle unless it benefits the team (i.e. late developing true freshmen or contributor that gets injured in the first four games, etc). He won’t do it for the player. It creates too many issues that go directly against the team-first mantra that the entire program is built upon.

If Jalen stays it will be to compete for the job and compete for playing time and he will play all season like he did this year and we will once again have the deepest QB position in the nation.

If Dan Enos is going to be his OC, he may believe that he will see the greatest development as a QB by staying! I pray for him to be successful regardless of his choice.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Jalen Hurts just now at media scrum:

I've never spoken about transferring. That's all assumptions from everybody else.

I'm not looking at anything past Oklahoma. My story is still unfolding.

It's been a long ride. You look around and see a lot of people making assumptions for you. I'm where my feet are, getting ready for Oklahoma.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
Jalen is just the ultimate teammate, IMO. First class all the way. He will do what's best for him, and I support him 100%.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
No one is even considering even one of the incoming QB’s redshirting, should Jalen decide to stay.
I not only think that’s a possibility but a probability if he stays. I think Mac is gone if Jalen stays.
But, like Jalen, I’m looking forward to Saturday. All the rest will take care of itself - in any event, Bama is in good shape at QB. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
kyallie just posted a tweet that says that Jalen is now enrolled in UA's graduate program. So happy for him.

Looks like it might be time for Jones to transfer.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
kyallie just posted a tweet that says that Jalen is now enrolled in UA's graduate program. So happy for him.

I'm holding off on that report since there was a similar tweet last week that was debunked and there was no media availability today.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I had been told over the weekend thst a school employee had let out that Jalen had applied to grad school. I didn’t want to say anything because of the path of the info.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You know, this thread has turned into sheer rumor and hearsay. We have a pretty important game tomorrow, where he may be called upon. Until there's real news, this will be shut down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.