Jalen Hurts Destination Thread - Where and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superdad

1st Team
Sep 17, 2009
has a non-starter QB ever been drafted and successful? I can look at some other positions where time was split and guys were picked up but can't think of any at QB.
I don't think Brad Johnson ever started at FSU. I believe he was Tampa Bay's QB when they won the super bowl. Not sure about that, though.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm not entirely joking when I say he should go to Oklahoma and win a Heisman.

That aside, I think even Saban knows it is best for Hurts to go. Alabama, with the incoming QBs should have some depth at the position (#5 and #8 pro style QB incoming), and Mac Jones, while in my opinion still clearly inferior to Tua and Hurts, would be a serviceable backup.

If I'm Jalen and I love Alabama, I'd steer clear of the SEC. He's played enough SEC defenses anyway, he should look for a good pro-style offense with an outgoing quarterback.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
He'll redshirt next season in order to be the starter after Tua goes pro. Really wants to learn under Enos some more.
If he were to do this, he could complete his Masters Degree and start working on a Doctorate.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I'm not entirely joking when I say he should go to Oklahoma and win a Heisman.

That aside, I think even Saban knows it is best for Hurts to go. Alabama, with the incoming QBs should have some depth at the position (#5 and #8 pro style QB incoming), and Mac Jones, while in my opinion still clearly inferior to Tua and Hurts, would be a serviceable backup.

If I'm Jalen and I love Alabama, I'd steer clear of the SEC. He's played enough SEC defenses anyway, he should look for a good pro-style offense with an outgoing quarterback.
Oklahoma was discussed by Three Man Front this morning as a prime target for JH for obvious reasons.

My thought before seeing your post is that Jalen could well be in New York at the end of next season.

A bit ironic for a QB who someone said on TideFans "He is done here and should leave"!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Another way to look at this.............

Put yourself in HIS position (IOW...do not think like a fan would).

If YOU were Jalen Hurts.........what would you do?

Ride the pine for another season..........or go play football somewhere and have some fun. He's graduating this month so he could go anywhere and play on day 1.

Unless I was prepared to change positions and not play QB, I wouldn`t stay. Can`t see Jalen as an NFL QB. At another position? Maybe so. If he does transfer, unless it`s to UT, AU, or LSU, I`d be first in line to shake his hand, thank him, and wish him only the best in life, both professionally and personally. When I think about it, hell, even if he went to one of those three, I`d be powerfully tempted to do so due to the fact that he`s the quality he is as a man and human being.

BamaWally

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2012
I am sure i am the only one, but it wouldnt surprise me at all if he stayed right here.why? to me the kid seems genuinely happy at bama................roll tide
You are not the only one. I think he will stay with Bama next year as well. As long as he continues to improve and gets adequate playing time, Bama is his best chance at playing on Sundays.

Last edited:

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Well, I figure it will be somewhere that has lost a QB and a top tier team. So, off the top of my head: West Virginia; North Carolina State; Oregon (if Herbert goes pro), Ohio State (if Haskins goes pro); Penn State; Stanford;

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I suppose simply because it seems, to outside observers at least, to be his best career move - from a business-decision perspective, anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
His best business decision would be to stay with Enos and run the scout team and redshirt. Very little chance of injury and he gets to stay with the tutor who has progressed him light years in his passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
His best business decision would be to stay with Enos and run the scout team and redshirt. Very little chance of injury and he gets to stay with the tutor who has progressed him light years in his passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But what risk would he run of falling in the draft (or completely out of the draft) due to lack of "film"? How would he and his agent get past the criticisms of "he's barely touched the field in two years"? Because, it's one thing to come into a game and be great one time. It's another thing to do it over an entire season. NFL teams are going to want to see that the SECCG wasn't a fluke. I would be afraid (if I'm Jalen) that by staying I wouldn't get enough quality snaps to put together a resume of film to convince an NFL team to draft me in the middle rounds or higher. If he gets drafted in the lower rounds or goes undrafted. His chances of making it on a team drastically decreases to the point of long shot.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I think he is gone. He has been a warrior this year for the Tide but I don't think being a two year backup is in his DNA. You could tell it has been painful for him to wait for his chance ("it has been a long time coming"). Also in the long run I think Bama will be better too so that Tua's successor can be identified next year and get some experience for 2020.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I think it depends on his future aspirations. If he still wants to play in the NFL as a QB, he probably needs to go elsewhere. However, if he is ready to embrace the idea of one day being a coach instead, I can't imagine a much better place than at Alabama. Another year to study under the best in the business, who has pretty much the best coaching staff at every position covered.

My first thought, though, was how his staying might affect our two incoming QB's and Mac Jones. I think we would lose two of the three if he made that choice. Unlikely we keep both Tua's brother and Tyson for their entire careers as it is, but add in another person between them and the starting job, and one or more could make other pastures look greener.

Ultimately, I just hope Jalen makes the choice that will allow him to be as successful in his life as he can be.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You are not the only one. I think he will stay with Bama next year as well. As long as he continues to improve and gets adequate playing time, Bama is his best chance at playing on Sundays.
I'm not directing this at you, but I think we are being a little selfish to say the best thing for him is to stay at Bama. I think all of us would like to have him back, but I find it hard to believe that's the best thing for him next year.

First, he wants to play, not sit on the bench. But more importantly, he's got to show he a different qb thru the course of a season than he was his first two years at Bama. He need to play as a starter to show that.

But what risk would he run of falling in the draft (or completely out of the draft) due to lack of "film"? How would he and his agent get past the criticisms of "he's barely touched the field in two years"? Because, it's one thing to come into a game and be great one time. It's another thing to do it over an entire season. NFL teams are going to want to see that the SECCG wasn't a fluke. I would be afraid (if I'm Jalen) that by staying I wouldn't get enough quality snaps to put together a resume of film to convince an NFL team to draft me in the middle rounds or higher. If he gets drafted in the lower rounds or goes undrafted. His chances of making it on a team drastically decreases to the point of long shot.
Agree 100%

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The Hawaii Rainbow Warriors are showing 6 QB's on roster right now.

Two are seniors, three are freshmen, and one a sophomore.

They are in the "West" division of the Mountain West Conference and are 8-5 this year.

Will be playing LA Tech in the Hawai'i Bowl on Dec. 22....

Hmmm.......

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One additional thought: If Jalen stays, have we considered that almost all the garbabe time next year goes to him and NOT Taulia or whoever the next guy in line would be.

This scenario would leave us starting the 2020 season with a green, inexperienced QB.

I've stating the reasons I think it's best for Jalen to transfer if he desires a shot at the NFL, but if conventional wisdom believes Taulia is the "heir" to Tua then he'll need lots of PT next year to be ready in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.