Jalen Hurts Destination Thread - Where and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don’t think I’ve seen this asked/answered in the thread, but what would the time frame likely be for him to make his decision? I know graduation is next Saturday, and I would guess that if he transfers, he would make that announcement soon after.
News probably will break that he will transfer maybe after the semi-final game. If Jalen were to look to transfer, he would start now and talk to schools... and all.. because as soon championship starts, he may have to enroll immediately somewhere.

FYI.. I think His performance in the SEC Championship has helped him a lot with schools. I wouldn't be shocked to hear Sooner, Tennesee, Auburn, Houston, Texas Tech, USC, Oregon, NC, Fau and few others to contact him. What he probably will want a good QB coach and good OC to help him continue to get better.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I'm like others and hope he stays; however, I kept thinking that he might be a very good fit at Oklahoma while I was watching the OU- Texas game the other day. Again, I hope he stays, but if he goes, I will cheer for him and support him 100%. I will do so because he took care of his academic requirements and graduated, supported his teammates in a classy manner, worked hard to become a better player, and seems to be a very good individual. I will always say Roll Tide to him even if he goes some evil place like OU. :biggrin:
Something tells me you are on the right track...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
News probably will break that he will transfer maybe after the semi-final game. If Jalen were to look to transfer, he would start now and talk to schools... and all.. because as soon championship starts, he may have to enroll immediately somewhere.

FYI.. I think His performance in the SEC Championship has helped him a lot with schools. I wouldn't be shocked to hear Sooner, Tennesee, Auburn, Houston, Texas Tech, USC, Oregon, NC, Fau and few others to contact him. What he probably will want a good QB coach and good OC to help him continue to get better.
What... Don't tell me a coach wouldn't go to bat to get Jalen a late entry at their University.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
We as Bama fans and alumni love the guy. I’m just not sure where he fits on an NFL roster. His value as an NFL qb is debatable. He’s invaluable to a major college program though, and he will likely end up somewhere out of the conference playing for a major program. His stock is more valuable with another year in college play.
I have no idea if he transfers or not and, but I think his destination, if he leaves, would not be in the SEC. I could see him going to a Big XII school not named Texas who already has two good QBs with experience returning. Not sure about other conference schools.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I had hoped he would be available to play the rest of this season. I didn't realize if he transferred it might be before the last two games. That might have some bearing on his decision, in my opinion.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I had hoped he would be available to play the rest of this season. I didn't realize if he transferred it might be before the last two games. That might have some bearing on his decision, in my opinion.
Is that true, that he'd have to not participate with Bama in the CFP?

I'd think the NCAA would allow for a special provision since he's playing in NCAA sanctioned games to finish the season with Bama while enrolled at another school.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Is that true, that he'd have to not participate with Bama in the CFP?

I'd think the NCAA would allow for a special provision since he's playing in NCAA sanctioned games to finish the season with Bama while enrolled at another school.
I want to say Alec Morris and Cooper Bateman were on the team during the CFP runs. Can't remember if Cornwell was or not.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I want to say Alec Morris and Cooper Bateman were on the team during the CFP runs. Can't remember if Cornwell was or not.
Plus, IIRC, the CPFNC game is just a few day after most school begin the spring semester anyway. I'm pretty sure a student can enroll a few days late.

The NCAA is the one who allows this graduate transfer rule anyway, so I'd be shocked if there's not a provision that allows for Jalen finish the season with Bama before transferring, if that's what he decides to do.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
He should stay where he is. He will have great exposure, stay with his team, continue to learn at QB position and get excellent experience and work more with Dan Enos.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He should stay where he is. He will have great exposure, stay with his team, continue to learn at QB position and get excellent experience and work more with Dan Enos.
At this point, I'd say the only way that really made sense would be if he did what some considered him doing this year. Redshirt as an emergency backup option.

I'm not sure Saban would be ok with that, at this point knowing that the window is narrowing on Hurts in terms of how much more he can contribute, he might really prefer to invest that scholarship and that time developing a QB on someone else.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
has a non-starter QB ever been drafted and successful? I can look at some other positions where time was split and guys were picked up but can't think of any at QB.
He's not exactly a non starter. He was a starter at Bama 2 years. He's more like a back up starter. Pro scouts know this. They understand Tua is one of the top 3 quarterbacks in the nation, and that nearly all other quarterbacks would play back up behind him. They've seen Jalen play a lot this year. And he's played well. I don't think they devalue him for playing back up to Tua.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't know who this guy is OR if he has some inside info, but it would surprise me.

Jalen has nothing left to prove at Bama. He's done it all and, most importantly, he's shown improvement beyond where many thought he could. Now, he just needs playing time. Outside of injury, he won't get the time he'll need and the game situations he'll need (when game is on the line) to showcase his improvement without transferring.

For an athlete the time is "now" and I just can't imagine Jalen being willing to let another year pass by to "redshirt" with the possibility to play the following year here or somewhere else when he can do it right now.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I don't know who this guy is OR if he has some inside info, but it would surprise me.

Jalen has nothing left to prove at Bama. He's done it all and, most importantly, he's shown improvement beyond where many thought he could. Now, he just needs playing time. Outside of injury, he won't get the time he'll need and the game situations he'll need (when game is on the line) to showcase his improvement without transferring.

For an athlete the time is "now" and I just can't imagine Jalen being willing to let another year pass by to "redshirt" with the possibility to play the following year here or somewhere else when he can do it right now.
He was the man who built Rivals, sold it to Yahoo and then built 247Sports. Bama guy but not sure that he would have any real insight into Hurts.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

In his scenario Jalen wouldn't lose anything. He can only play one more year. If he never starts at Alabama next year, he redshirts after 4 games of play and still has an entire season to play wherever he wishes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
In his scenario Jalen wouldn't lose anything. He can only play one more year. If he never starts at Alabama next year, he redshirts after 4 games of play and still has an entire season to play wherever he wishes.
He would lose a whole year of his life. When you are 22 years old that's a long time to wait for the next big thing.

It's his decision, but I doubt any of us understand how hard it's been sitting on the bench since last year.

It's not apples to apples but I played one year of college basketball after a stellar HS career. Sitting on the bench and only getting spot action was not worth it, especially as a walk on.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
One could argue Alabama would. He'd be a rather expensive insurance policy if you consider that he'd need to practice a lot to be ready and he's still take up a scholarship slot. I wouldn't go so far as to say that's a bad idea, but Alabama does have to start thinking about developing their next starting quarterback. Not only that but if Hurts did stay, it is possible that could cause a QB commit to look elsewhere.

If they know Hurts is going to be taking practice snaps away from them, and perhaps taking the starting job in 2020 (if he stays to redshirt that has to be a consideration)they might look elsewhere. So, it is complicated. Once Hurts is gone, any incoming QB is going to move up the depth chart and get more practice snaps, so that's the silver lining to that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.