Jalen Hurts Destination Thread - Where and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Kinda in a down time between now and the CFP. There's been speculation in various threads about this, so I thought it might be good to put our thoughts into one thread. Where does Jalen end up and why?

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Until I hear it out of Jalen's mouth, I'm assuming he's playing his senior year at Bama.............and that's exactly one of my Christmas wishes.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Has JH said he's transferring? If not, not sure why this would even be a topic for discussion.
I suppose simply because it seems, to outside observers at least, to be his best career move - from a business-decision perspective, anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Has JH said he's transferring? If not, not sure why this would even be a topic for discussion.
No, it's simply speculation, but it has been being discussed in random places in discussions about Jalen. And certainly, staying at Bama is one of those possibilities, especially considering how the season ended and the love he's getting from the Bama Nation.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Another way to look at this.............

Put yourself in HIS position (IOW...do not think like a fan would).

If YOU were Jalen Hurts.........what would you do?

Ride the pine for another season..........or go play football somewhere and have some fun. He's graduating this month so he could go anywhere and play on day 1.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Listening to Jalen's multiple interviews after the SECCG. I get the feeling he's not willing to play the backup role for a second year. Granted, this is purely my opinion. When he was asked "how he handled losing his job" he said more than one time "It was very tough" and you could hear in his voice that it being "very tough" lasted all season, even after the SECCG. If anything, his performance in the SECCG may very well have signed and sealed him transferring. At the end of the day these guys want to play. Sure, being on a winning team is great. But being on a winning team AND PLAYING is even better.

This may sound strange but it is true for a lot of athletes. It is better to be on a losing team and play, rather than be on a winning team and ride the pine. You can only have so much fun sitting the bench while your teammates are playing.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I suppose simply because it seems, to outside observers at least, to be his best career move - from a business-decision perspective, anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what benefit he gets by transferring, unless it's to a top 20 team as the immediate starter. At Bama, he has a very good record as a starter 2 years (except issues late last year). He's had plenty of playing time this year as a back up, with Tua leaving early in the first half many games. And you know with an abundance of NFL caliber players at Bama, the pro scouts see quite a bit of Jalen. Maybe more so, than as a starter at many other schools. He gets some of the best coaching at Bama. I think he'll do well staying put, and believe that's what he'll do. But should he decide otherwise, I think he'll try somewhere close to home. There's some decent choices in Texas.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
When I make career decisions I always do a list of PROS and CONS

PROS for staying:
1. Love for Bama
2. Chance to play for another NC
3. Coaching from Enos/CNS
4. Popular with teammates/fan appreciation
5. know the system that has made you better
6. opportunity to play alot as #2 in blowouts
7. Tua has been injury prone this year

CONS for staying
1. Won't start
2. Minutes/moments to shine are dependent on sub minutes or Tua getting hurt again.
3. It's hard to sit on the bench when you've been a starter/played a significant role

I probably miss some things or overstate some things, but I'd think this might be his general thought process right now.

End of the day, he's a player and players want to play. I think he'll relunctantly transfer to have one year as "the man" somewhere else, probably outside the SEC, if CNS gets any input.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If he wants to start he'll probably move on. But what do I know?

If he leaves I hope he goes somewhere he will be appreciated and have a lot of success. Ill be rooting for him.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
JessN in his column suggested Jalen will have to transfer if he wants any shot at the pros. I understand the logic behind that point of view, but maybe just maybe...never, say never.

Jalen is in an unique situation. I think it might be possible a team would try him out on a long shot if he stays at Bama and continues to improve. Saban carries a little weight with the pro recruiters...he might could help work something out.

Saban could say: "In all my years I've coached a lot of guys, but Jalen is the first I've ever had that showed such a winner's spirit that I got choked up on national tv trying to talk about him. If you want a winner with class and plenty of potential..."

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
FSU.

Francois is leaving and Blackman is probably going to RS. However, if the OL doesn't get any better it won't matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.