How Georgia DB Viewed Alabama Comeback, Reaction to Jalen Hurts Entering Game

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

A finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award for the nation’s top defensive back, Baker had a big game against Alabama. Two tackles for loss included a sack. He forced a fumble and made five stops.

Everything changed in the fourth quarter when Jalen Hurts relieved injured quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. Baker said Georgia had not done any preparation for Hurts and last season’s game mattered little since they were different teams now.

“Tua is more of a … he’ll win the game mentally,” Baker said, “but Jalen is more of an athlete and he will extend downs with his legs and make throws down field and things like that.”

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
CB Deandre Baker says Georgia wasn’t prepared for Jalen Hurts

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/g...t-prepared-for-jalen-hurts-in-sec-title-game/

Until Georgia stops making excuses it will never be considered equal to Alabama.
Everyone school has opportunities and challenges and elite programs acknowledge on improving every week throughout the season. Alabama never talks this way under Coach Saban.
If it is important to you, you will find a way, if it is not you will always find excuses!!.
Leadership is about owning responsibility and accountability.
This is more of an indictment on Kirby Smart and his staff.
Georgia fans better hope this does not become a pattern under Kirby's tenure.
Big red flag!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Re: CB Deandre Baker says Georgia wasn’t prepared for Jalen Hurts

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/g...t-prepared-for-jalen-hurts-in-sec-title-game/

Until Georgia stops making excuses it will never be considered equal to Alabama.
Everyone school has opportunities and challenges and elite programs acknowledge on improving every week throughout the season. Alabama never talks this way under Coach Saban.
If it is important to you, you will find a way, if it is not you will always find excuses!!.
Leadership is about owning responsibility and accountability.
This is more of an indictment on Kirby Smart and his staff.
Georgia fans better hope this does not become a pattern under Kirby's tenure.
Big red flag!
Last year the excuse was "we didn't practice for Tua." This year the excuse is "we didn't practice for Jaylen." I agree this is an endictment of Kirby. Surely he would have corrected this if it were not true.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i'm guessing ledbetter is happy he stayed for his senior year to get redemption. too bad they didn't adequately prepare for a championship game for the second time in a year.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Poor Dawgs, it's like they were the subject of a "Twilight Zone" episode. :biggrin2:
Imagine you’re in an alternate dimension. One in which the same thing that happened to you last year happens to you again this year, only in reverse. You have just entered....The Twilight Zone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

Last year the excuse was "we didn't practice for Tua." This year the excuse is "we didn't practice for Jaylen." I agree this is an endictment of Kirby. Surely he would have corrected this if it were not true.
All the more reason I want Jalen to return to Alabama next year. LOL

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Flimsy excuses. If you prepare for a healthy Tua you prepare for designed quarterback runs. If you prepare for designed quarterback runs you've prepared for an RPO quarterback who prefers to run the ball himself. Jalen hasn't magically transformed into something else. The only difference in Jalen's game is his accuracy which has helped him gain confidence.

Tennessee fields the Champions of Life, behold, Georgia fields the Champions of Excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Georgia made a couple adjustments. They tried to bring that DB blitz that everyone ran against Jalen since the LSU game his freshman year. It just didn't work.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If they truly didn't prepare for JHurts then what a bad light that shines upon the entire coaching staff, mainly Kirby. Personally, I think they did prepare for both, Hurts just beat them. Plain and simple. The guy in the linked article said they put their "spy" on him. Isn't that the same thing they did last season when they prepared for Jalen? They just got beat and it comes across much more respectable to admit that. Rather than implying you didn't prepare for him.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
If they truly didn't prepare for JHurts then what a bad light that shines upon the entire coaching staff, mainly Kirby. Personally, I think they did prepare for both, Hurts just beat them. Plain and simple. The guy in the linked article said they put their "spy" on him. Isn't that the same thing they did last season when they prepared for Jalen? They just got beat and it comes across much more respectable to admit that. Rather than implying you didn't prepare for him.
Sounds like they are a "prideful" bunch (including their coach). I think it hurts that they were beating us so handedly and that we found a way to win.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Was Smart busy picking his nose instead of paying attention all those years he was working with Coach Saban? The key to being great is to be able to FINISH. Two straight years they had fantastic game plans for us and two straight years they failed to finish the job. We played our backup QBs extensively throughout both seasons. Don't give me this excuse of thinking neither were going to play.

It does not matter how well they controlled the games for 2 or 2 and half quarters. All that matters, EVERYTHING that matters, is how the games ended. Kirby has been tried, and found wanting.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The only thing they should have changed up when Jalen came in the game was their pass rush. They should have told their ends to not get so far up field and for the tackles to just push the pocket. The goal should have been to create a fence like defense rather than a penetrating defense with the goal of making Jalen beat them from the pocket versus giving him wide open lanes to the outside. Not something you should really have to "practice" for unless they only have 1 scheme / rush tactic with their defensive line. This is probably something we'll employ against OU and Kyler Murray..

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The only thing they should have changed up when Jalen came in the game was their pass rush. They should have told their ends to not get so far up field and for the tackles to just push the pocket. The goal should have been to create a fence like defense rather than a penetrating defense with the goal of making Jalen beat them from the pocket versus giving him wide open lanes to the outside. Not something you should really have to "practice" for unless they only have 1 scheme / rush tactic with their defensive line. This is probably something we'll employ against OU and Kyler Murray..
on his first scramble for first down, he ran around the fence :) and whoever was at wide receiver out there had a great block.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
on his first scramble for first down, he ran around the fence :) and whoever was at wide receiver out there had a great block.
Seeing him run like the again reminded me that I had forgotten just how flipping fast he is. He never looks like he's working that hard, he just glides, but man, speed speed speed speed speed...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.