What was the best team Alabama ever played at home?

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
2011 LSU was a really good team. If they had not played us in the rematch with the schedule than ran through that year they would have gone down as one of the greatest teams of all time. That schedule they navigated was legit.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Don't forget about UF with Emmit Smith at rb -- cannot remember the year. I was sitting on the 50 in the upper deck in Legion Field and watched him run all over us. We mocked them in warmups, but they ate our lunch...totally and completely.
Guy next to me turns and asks “who IS that guy?”

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
[FONT="]What was the best team Alabama ever played at home? When I asked the question about ever, I realize many will probably name a team Alabama played in a bowl game or SECCG so I thought I'd make this question about a visiting opponent. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

First, we have to determine who are the legitimate candidates.

THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS (STARTING WITH AP POLL ERA OF 1936)
1938 Tennessee
1951 Tennessee
1951 Georgia Tech
1957 Auburn
1958 LSU (note: game was played in Ladd Stadium in Mobile)
1978 USC
1982 Penn St
1986 Penn St
2003 LSU
2007 LSU
2010 Auburn

OTHER GREAT TEAMS
1970 USC
1983 Auburn
[COLOR="#0000FF"]2000 UCF

2003 Oklahoma
2011 LSU

Okay, so first let's rule out some obvious "not them". Any team prior to 1970 is pretty well ruled out simply because: a) it was regional football; b) it was non-integrated football. While that's not the fault of the players, it still is a reality we have to acknowledge. The QUALITY of football player (as with all sports) has increased steadily. That does NOT mean that Joe Namath (to use one example) could not be a successful player today, it just means that on the whole the players are larger, faster, and more athletic. That gives us the following:

1978 USC
1982 Penn St
1986 Penn St
2003 LSU
2007 LSU
2010 Auburn

OTHER GREAT TEAMS
1970 USC
2003 Oklahoma
2011 LSU

If 1983 Auburn had beaten Texas and won the national championship, it would probably be them (as much as that angers folks here). They played the most challenging schedule (by far) of the pre-playoff era. But they did lose and quite one-sided so.....they're out.

We can rule out 03 Oklahoma because they weren't even the best opponent to play at Alabama that year much less ever. 2010 Auburn was a helluva offense, and maybe the worst defense to ever win the national championship, so they're out. 2007 LSU, well, they lost two games (and despite Mrs. Les Miles's argument even overtime losses count). And for those who did not see the 1982 Penn State game, don't be misled. YES, the final score was a 21-point margin, but that game was in doubt until the the final five minutes when Penn State fell apart and made some "here's a touchdown for you" mistakes. Thus, I think the discussion comes down to the following teams:

1970 and 1978 USC
1986 Penn State
2003 and 2011 LSU

And 1970 USC lost FOUR games and had a tie so......good-bye! Sure, the blew out Alabama and a myth about integration has grown up about that game (it isn't true, folks, no matter how many times you hear it). So we're now down to four possibilities.

I personally would rule out the 1986 Penn State TEAM because it wasn't a great TEAM, it was a great DEFENSE. Everyone remembers that eye-popping national TV rating on a Friday night for the Fiesta Bowl, and they remember Penn State won. But they then lose the details and all they recall is, "Penn State beat a great Miami team that won a bunch of national titles in other years."

Go look at the stat sheet for that game:
Miami beat them in yardage (445-162), first downs (22-8). Keep this in mind: 74 yards of Penn State's total of 162 came on ONE DRIVE in the first half. But they forced 7 turnovers because Miami kept getting impatient.

Penn State's QB (John Shaffer) was 5 of 16 for 53 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT.

That wasn't a great Penn State TEAM, it was a great DEFENSE. They DID own us in our game, no question, but if you look at their numbers for that particular year, they played ONE ranked team (Alabama), beat 5-6 Cincinnati at home by a TD, only beat 4-7 WVA by a 19-0 count, and scraped by with a two-point win over 5-5 Maryland. So I'd rule them out for the same reason I rule out 2010 Auburn - it was a team great on ONE dimension, defense. (To be fair - and I hate to say it given what we later learned - but the 86 PSU defense is in the same category as the 2011 Alabama one).

So we now have two LSU teams (03 and 11 LSU) and 1978 USC.

I'd rule out 2003 LSU based on their loss to a lackluster Florida team (by UF standards anyway).

I think it comes down to 78 USC and 11 LSU, and I would actually lean in favor of 2011 LSU, who finished the season unbeaten and won the SEC title. Let's be clear: IF LSU had won the rematch, they would be recognized as the greatest of all-time, so certainly they have to be considered the greatest to ever play in UA.

That's my opinion anyway, but you've now seen how I arrived at that point of view.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Isn't that when CPB basically decided to integrate and change Alabama football forever?
Uh, no. That's a myth that the media has fostered, and it makes a great story, but the FACT is that he was already actively trying to integrate the team less than one month after the 1966 voting debacle. Wilbur Jackson signed with Alabama on December 13, 1969, and if freshmen could have played, he would have likely played in that game. He was IN THE STANDS at the game!!

The game WAS important, especially when you remember that one of USC's star backs, Clarence Davis, was from Birmingham and rushed for 76 yards but we were still in the throes of segregation when he was ready for college.

But please - let's drop this whole "the 1970 USC game convinced Bryant to go get black players" because it isn't true.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Don't forget about UF with Emmit Smith at rb -- cannot remember the year. I was sitting on the 50 in the upper deck in Legion Field and watched him run all over us. We mocked them in warmups, but they ate our lunch...totally and completely.
1987 and wow was he something else that day.

Don't know what ever happened to that kid...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
First, we have to determine who are the legitimate candidates.

1938 Tennessee
1951 Tennessee
1951 Georgia Tech
1957 Auburn
1958 LSU (note: game was played in Ladd Stadium in Mobile)
1978 USC
1982 Penn St
1986 Penn St
2003 LSU
2007 LSU
2010 Auburn

OTHER GREAT TEAMS
1970 USC
1983 Auburn
2000 UCF
2003 Oklahoma
2011 LSU

Okay, so first let's rule out some obvious "not them". Any team prior to 1970 is pretty well ruled out simply because: a) it was regional football; b) it was non-integrated football. While that's not the fault of the players, it still is a reality we have to acknowledge. The QUALITY of football player (as with all sports) has increased steadily. That does NOT mean that Joe Namath (to use one example) could not be a successful player today, it just means that on the whole the players are larger, faster, and more athletic. That gives us the following:

1978 USC
1982 Penn St
1986 Penn St
2003 LSU
2007 LSU
2010 Auburn

OTHER GREAT TEAMS
1970 USC
2003 Oklahoma
2011 LSU

If 1983 Auburn had beaten Texas and won the national championship, it would probably be them (as much as that angers folks here). They played the most challenging schedule (by far) of the pre-playoff era. But they did lose and quite one-sided so.....they're out.

We can rule out 03 Oklahoma because they weren't even the best opponent to play at Alabama that year much less ever. 2010 Auburn was a helluva offense, and maybe the worst defense to ever win the national championship, so they're out. 2007 LSU, well, they lost two games (and despite Mrs. Les Miles's argument even overtime losses count). And for those who did not see the 1982 Penn State game, don't be misled. YES, the final score was a 21-point margin, but that game was in doubt until the the final five minutes when Penn State fell apart and made some "here's a touchdown for you" mistakes. Thus, I think the discussion comes down to the following teams:

1970 and 1978 USC
1986 Penn State
2003 and 2011 LSU

And 1970 USC lost FOUR games and had a tie so......good-bye! Sure, the blew out Alabama and a myth about integration has grown up about that game (it isn't true, folks, no matter how many times you hear it). So we're now down to four possibilities.

I personally would rule out the 1986 Penn State TEAM because it wasn't a great TEAM, it was a great DEFENSE. Everyone remembers that eye-popping national TV rating on a Friday night for the Fiesta Bowl, and they remember Penn State won. But they then lose the details and all they recall is, "Penn State beat a great Miami team that won a bunch of national titles in other years."

Go look at the stat sheet for that game:
Miami beat them in yardage (445-162), first downs (22-8). Keep this in mind: 74 yards of Penn State's total of 162 came on ONE DRIVE in the first half. But they forced 7 turnovers because Miami kept getting impatient.

Penn State's QB (John Shaffer) was 5 of 16 for 53 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT.

That wasn't a great Penn State TEAM, it was a great DEFENSE. They DID own us in our game, no question, but if you look at their numbers for that particular year, they played ONE ranked team (Alabama), beat 5-6 Cincinnati at home by a TD, only beat 4-7 WVA by a 19-0 count, and scraped by with a two-point win over 5-5 Maryland. So I'd rule them out for the same reason I rule out 2010 Auburn - it was a team great on ONE dimension, defense. (To be fair - and I hate to say it given what we later learned - but the 86 PSU defense is in the same category as the 2011 Alabama one).

So we now have two LSU teams (03 and 11 LSU) and 1978 USC.

I'd rule out 2003 LSU based on their loss to a lackluster Florida team (by UF standards anyway).

I think it comes down to 78 USC and 11 LSU, and I would actually lean in favor of 2011 LSU, who finished the season unbeaten and won the SEC title. Let's be clear: IF LSU had won the rematch, they would be recognized as the greatest of all-time, so certainly they have to be considered the greatest to ever play in UA.

That's my opinion anyway, but you've now seen how I arrived at that point of view.
You are entirely too methodical and systematic...thanks for the work!

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Uh, no. That's a myth that the media has fostered, and it makes a great story, but the FACT is that he was already actively trying to integrate the team less than one month after the 1966 voting debacle. Wilbur Jackson signed with Alabama on December 13, 1969, and if freshmen could have played, he would have likely played in that game. He was IN THE STANDS at the game!!

The game WAS important, especially when you remember that one of USC's star backs, Clarence Davis, was from Birmingham and rushed for 76 yards but we were still in the throes of segregation when he was ready for college.

But please - let's drop this whole "the 1970 USC game convinced Bryant to go get black players" because it isn't true.
I'm sick of hearing this load of crap myself. I don't know who started it or when, but it never had an iota of truth to it. Probably a lazy sportswriter who wanted to be a novelist instead of reporting the news.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
That was in 1987 when we played Florida at Legion Field. I was at that game too. Not a really great UF team iirc but Emmitt Smith did run all over us that day and the Gators did beat us.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I'm sick of hearing this load of crap myself. I don't know who started it or when, but it never had an iota of truth to it. Probably a lazy sportswriter who wanted to be a novelist instead of reporting the news.
John Mitchell was from Mobile...and came in 1971. A friend of mine played on that team -- he was also from Mobile -- and he would give John rides back home. If they stopped for gas or food he would occasionally get hassled until people found out who they were.

Here's a link to an al.com article from 2013:
https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/10/too_easy_to_say_bear_bryant_wa.html

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You are entirely too methodical and systematic...thanks for the work!
I like my conclusions to reflect sober thought (unless there's some Scotch around) and logic.

Every once in awhile I BEGIN with a conclusion that analyzing it overturns.

Once upon a time, I thought Bobby Ross was a pretty good college coach. He wasn't.

I also thought Jerry Claiborne wasn't - but he was.

And I thought Bill Curry, while too stiff for Alabama, was acceptably good. But he wasn't. He was below average.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The game WAS important. As Keith Dunnavant rightly opines in "The Missing Ring," it was NOT the game that caused integration, but it DID give Bryant a reference point or handy tool at EXPEDITING what needed to be done. So the game WAS important, but it wasn't important in the details that folks want to pretend.

I've heard variations of the mythical story even from respectable journalists or columnists such as the late Lewis Grizzard and even Michael Wilbon (who should know better) doesn't quite get it right (though to his credit he comes closer than most).

Btw - for those who don't know - per UA President Frank Rose, the first black to try out for Alabama was spring practice of 1964, less than one year after the infamous stand in the school house door by Pea Brain.

The game WAS a turning point, but let's separate the myth from the fact.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.