News Article: The balkanization of America...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Alabama’s legislature only meets for about six weeks in the spring, with occasional special sessions called by the governor. But that is after they are sworn in. I guess that is in January with the governor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. They still get paid, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
https://ballotpedia.org/Alabama_state_government_salary

They make $46,000 a year plus travel expenses. Not bad for a part time job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Sorry 1967 - tried to quote your post, dunno what happened.
My last post was quoting Crimson1967.
If it’s good enough for Alabama, it should be good enough for everyone else.
Besides, do they “work” the whole two years they are in office?
Let me answer that for you - not even close.
So schedule two months of that “ vacation” for after the election.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Neither is ALEC, but there’s something seriously wrong with a group (in this case right wing big money) having closed door meetings with legislators (Republican) and telling them “we’ll make sure you have enough money to get re-elected but you have to pass these laws; if you don’t we’ll primary you.”
It has been reported that, in some instances, the laws that were passed were exactly as presented by ALEC; because we know our elected legislators aren’t smart enough to write their own legislation.
Plain and simple, this is hijacking democracy.

Yep. Ban ALEC and every lobbyist in Washington. If the politicians want to know what is important to their constituents, get out and ask them.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I could see a state constitutional amendment to prevent the lame duck session from passing a bill that did not include the majority of whatever party is going to hold the majority in the next session, or even the majority of both parties in that session of the legislature.
That, to me, would make sense, and but would still allow the legislature to function on issues with bi-partisan support (say a natural disaster requiring additional state money or something like that).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.