News Article: The balkanization of America... - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 53 to 64 of 64
  1. #53
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,621

    Re: The balkanization of America...

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I think a lame duck session going in and changing the rules is a little shifty, but I don’t see it as illegal.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Neither is ALEC, but there’s something seriously wrong with a group (in this case right wing big money) having closed door meetings with legislators (Republican) and telling them “we’ll make sure you have enough money to get re-elected but you have to pass these laws; if you don’t we’ll primary you.”
    It has been reported that, in some instances, the laws that were passed were exactly as presented by ALEC; because we know our elected legislators aren’t smart enough to write their own legislation.
    Plain and simple, this is hijacking democracy.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

  2. Advertisement
  3. #54
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Birmingham & Atlanta
    Posts
    17,486

    Re: The balkanization of America...

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I think a lame duck session going in and changing the rules is a little shifty, but I don’t see it as illegal.
    I'm not sure anyone has called it illegal; it is, however, more than just "a little shifty".
    This is the darkest timeline.

  4. #55
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: The balkanization of America...

    I do not have problems with lame duck sessions. We have elections every 2 years and they are not sworn in for 2 whole months after the election. What do you want them to do, not write laws for 2 months every 2 years? That does not mean I agree with the laws they just passed. I just disagree with the article bringing up they are a lame duck legislature every few sentences. The writer literally said lame duck every chance he got.

  5. #56
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,236

    Re: The balkanization of America...

    Alabama’s legislature only meets for about six weeks in the spring, with occasional special sessions called by the governor. But that is after they are sworn in. I guess that is in January with the governor.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #57
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,621

    Re: The balkanization of America...

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Alabama’s legislature only meets for about six weeks in the spring, with occasional special sessions called by the governor. But that is after they are sworn in. I guess that is in January with the governor.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They should just outlaw lame duck sessions; it shouldn’t be legal anyway. Even in Congress.
    The people have spoken; losers should have no more say in governance from that point on.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

  7. #58
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: The balkanization of America...

    Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    They should just outlaw lame duck sessions; it shouldn’t be legal anyway. Even in Congress.
    The people have spoken; losers should have no more say in governance from that point on.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When you are elected, it is for a 2 year term. It does not start until 2 months after election day. So it should not end until 2 months after election day.

  8. #59
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,851

    Re: The balkanization of America...

    Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    When you are elected, it is for a 2 year term. It does not start until 2 months after election day. So it should not end until 2 months after election day.
    I get that. However, if a company tells someone they'll be fired in two months, don't be surprised if they start swiping all the nice pens and office supplies in the meantime.

  9. #60
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,621

    Re: The balkanization of America...

    [QUOTE=Crimson1967;3343313]Alabama’s legislature only meets for about six weeks in the spring, with occasional special sessions called by the governor. But that is after they are sworn in. I guess that is in January with the governor.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    This. They still get paid, right?





    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

  10. #61
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,236

    Re: The balkanization of America...

    [QUOTE=twofbyc;3344028]
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Alabama’s legislature only meets for about six weeks in the spring, with occasional special sessions called by the governor. But that is after they are sworn in. I guess that is in January with the governor.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    This. They still get paid, right?





    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    https://ballotpedia.org/Alabama_state_government_salary

    They make $46,000 a year plus travel expenses. Not bad for a part time job.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #62
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,621

    Re: The balkanization of America...

    Sorry 1967 - tried to quote your post, dunno what happened.
    My last post was quoting Crimson1967.
    If it’s good enough for Alabama, it should be good enough for everyone else.
    Besides, do they “work” the whole two years they are in office?
    Let me answer that for you - not even close.
    So schedule two months of that “ vacation” for after the election.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

  12. #63
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Too Far North
    Posts
    208

    Re: The balkanization of America...

    Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Neither is ALEC, but there’s something seriously wrong with a group (in this case right wing big money) having closed door meetings with legislators (Republican) and telling them “we’ll make sure you have enough money to get re-elected but you have to pass these laws; if you don’t we’ll primary you.”
    It has been reported that, in some instances, the laws that were passed were exactly as presented by ALEC; because we know our elected legislators aren’t smart enough to write their own legislation.
    Plain and simple, this is hijacking democracy.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep. Ban ALEC and every lobbyist in Washington. If the politicians want to know what is important to their constituents, get out and ask them.

  13. #64
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Hooterville, Vir.
    Posts
    15,472

    Re: The balkanization of America...

    I could see a state constitutional amendment to prevent the lame duck session from passing a bill that did not include the majority of whatever party is going to hold the majority in the next session, or even the majority of both parties in that session of the legislature.
    That, to me, would make sense, and but would still allow the legislature to function on issues with bi-partisan support (say a natural disaster requiring additional state money or something like that).

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!