The Saban Coaching Tree - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation First Team 12Namath12's Avatar

Re: The Saban Coaching Tree

Bear and Saban are as similar in their National Championship numbers as their own coaching trees.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team graydogg85's Avatar

For all the talk about Saban’s coaching tree, he’s really only had three former assistants who have achieved any sort of high-level success as head coaches: Dantonio, Smart and Fisher. There are a bunch more who have landed anywhere from just average (McElwain, Muschamp at South Carolina, Cristobal) to abject failures (Dooley, Muschamp at Florida).

Given that, when Saban does retire I hope we don’t get too hung up on replacing him with a “Saban” guy. I think whether an assistant will ultimately make a good head coach has a lot more to do with the person and a lot less to do with whoever they worked for. Muschamp was the top Saban guy that everyone wanted for a long time. Conversely, the head coach that “groomed” Urban Meyer was the illustrious Bob Davie. I think people put too much stock in that sort of thing.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I agree with B1G, it is who CNS is, not his "process". Right now I believe Fisher may be the best of his former coaches, followed by Kirby. They are both very good coaches, but more importantly they are at SEC programs that put a premium on winning. These programs also have the financial, booster and alumni base to give them all they need to win and win big. I wish the best for Coach Locksley, but realistically Maryland is probably a career dead end. Others, like Dantonio, Muschamp and Kiffin, are a step below Fisher and Smart. Which brings me to Pruitt. I do not think with only one season as HC it is clear which group he will fit in, but we should be able to get a better read after next year. If I had to pick a successor to CNS and it had to be someone who coached for him, it would be Fisher.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I could see Kirby in the NFL some day. He has the ego for it.
    KS has the drive, ego and ruthlessness to be great, maybe he has the focus, hard to know yet as are other attributes, but IMO, he is not smart enough. I'm not saying he is dumb by any means but he does not have anywhere near the mind that CNS does. IMO, Pruitt, though very unpolished is significantly sharper than Smart - don't know if he has the self-control or wisdom. Smart will do very well at UGA because he is sitting on a motherlode of talent and has gotten a voracious administration to buy in but not sure that can overcome his lack of elite mental capacity to be consistently great.

You can't begin to compare CNS' and CKS' career arcs in any way. I don't need to tell you why.

Edit: I just realized most of what I said in this post I said in an earlier one, one that I had forgotten.
    Last edited by BamaInBham; December 9th, 2018 at 06:45 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I could see Kirby in the NFL some day. He has the ego for it.
    The Falcons need a new coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk