The Saban Coaching Tree

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Other than Dantonio, Fisher, and Smart the rest of them have gone to programs in very bad shape. I also think it's really tough to make the jump from coordinator to coach and fully let go and trust your own coordinators the way you need to. That's why I really like K-State's hire of Kliemann (sp?) from NDSU. Hire someone who is already a proven winner, albeit at a lower level, and let him see if he can replicate that at a higher level.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that any coach that spends any amount of time in Tuscaloosa is labeled a Nick Saban "disciple" or put under the Saban coaching tree. I view the coaching tree as people who Saban brought into the profession or had an impact very early on. Someone like Kirby Smart or Tosh Lupoi. I don't consider Mike Locksley, Jim McElwain or coaches who were here for a short time as part of the Saban coaching tree. Or coaches who were head coaches, then came to Alabama to be a coordinator then leave for another head coaching job after a year or two. Just a random thought..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that any coach that spends any amount of time in Tuscaloosa is labeled a Nick Saban "disciple" or put under the Saban coaching tree. I view the coaching tree as people who Saban brought into the profession or had an impact very early on. Someone like Kirby Smart or Tosh Lupoi. I don't consider Mike Locksley, Jim McElwain or coaches who were here for a short time as part of the Saban coaching tree. Or coaches who were head coaches, then came to Alabama to be a coordinator then leave for another head coaching job after a year or two. Just a random thought..
I have always felt this way about all coaching "trees". It tends to be a complimentary thing, though, so I don't think too deeply on the matter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.