The Saban Coaching Tree

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
It's interesting an assistant has never beaten Saban. This will come to pass, presumably, in the next few years. But I'm amazed at fan bases who think hiring a Saban assistant will automatically bring wins to the school. I think Pruitt at Tennessee and Locksley at Maryland will be two examples where success may not come.

If you want read more, check out this Sports Illustrated story -

https://www.si.com/longform/2017/nick-saban-college-football-coaching-tree/index.html

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It's interesting an assistant has never beaten Saban. This will come to pass, presumably, in the next few years. But I'm amazed at fan bases who think hiring a Saban assistant will automatically bring wins to the school. I think Pruitt at Tennessee and Locksley at Maryland will be two examples where success may not come.

If you want read more, check out this Sports Illustrated story -

https://www.si.com/longform/2017/nick-saban-college-football-coaching-tree/index.html
I'm happy for Locks -- but what has he proven? Same with Pruitt? McIllwain (sp?) bottomed out and Lane had a horrible year..... that does give me hope that once again Coach will restock the fridge for next year.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm happy for Locks -- but what has he proven? Same with Pruitt? McIllwain (sp?) bottomed out and Lane had a horrible year..... that does give me hope that once again Coach will restock the fridge for next year.
People keep confusing Saban's Process with "Saban."

I may know the technique involved for dead-lifting 350lbs but I have neither the physique, the stature or the any of the physical stamina to do that.

Many assistants know exactly what Saban does from a process point of view. It's probably not that much of a secret HOW he breaks down tape or HOW he evaluates talent or HOW he organizes his staff...but in the end none of that really matters because none of those people who know these things are Nick Saban. He is simply the best at it from a physical, physiological, and mental point of view.

Saban is the master and creator of his own system. He constructed it to play to his strengths and cover his weaknesses - simply transplanting that system with other coaches ignores many many things about the nature of coaching AND just being human.

School's don't need Nick Saban's process or his structure - they need Nick Saban and they are never going to get him.

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
People keep confusing Saban's Process with "Saban."

I may know the technique involved for dead-lifting 350lbs but I have neither the physique, the stature or the any of the physical stamina to do that.

Many assistants know exactly what Saban does from a process point of view. It's probably not that much of a secret HOW he breaks down tape or HOW he evaluates talent or HOW he organizes his staff...but in the end none of that really matters because none of those people who know these things are Nick Saban. He is simply the best at it from a physical, physiological, and mental point of view.

Saban is the master and creator of his own system. He constructed it to play to his strengths and cover his weaknesses - simply transplanting that system with other coaches ignores many many things about the nature of coaching AND just being human.

School's don't need Nick Saban's process or his structure - they need Nick Saban and they are never going to get him.
Exactly. I can sing Garth Brooks' song, but I don't sound like him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban's process is not new, nor are his philosophies. Many of us heard the same things from the role models in out lives growing up.

I agree - it is not the process, it is the man making sure that the process is followed in every aspect of the program, ever hour, every day, at Alabama. Nick Saban is the difference.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
it is just like parenting.. Most parents know the right things to do for their kids but they aren't strict enough and eventually the kids are running the show. Attention to detail and demanding perfection/compliance all the time is a lot of work and many don't really think it matters that much.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The best example of a true Saban ‘disciple’ has to be Kirby. He is running Nicks program line by line.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The best example of a true Saban ‘disciple’ has to be Kirby. He is running Nicks program line by line.
But he falls short even though he is sitting on a recruiting gold mine. He is simply not nearly as smart or as aware or as wise as CNS is - not close. The only reason he is close is because he is driven, ruthless and again, the main reason is that he's sitting on a talent motherlode. If Pruitt were at UGA it would be scary. CKS will likely do well, it is almost impossible not to at UGA.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Keep in mind that Smart is only 42 years old. Saban wasn't even at MSU yet at that age. We have no idea how good Smart might become some day. You don't just become a great head coach. It takes some time, and a more than a few mistakes.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Keep in mind that Smart is only 42 years old. Saban wasn't even at MSU yet at that age. We have no idea how good Smart might become some day. You don't just become a great head coach. It takes some time, and a more than a few mistakes.
B1GTide, don't be bringing this thought process into the conversation. :smile:

I think we got Coach Saban at the right age. I kind of wanted a younger coach before the hire was made for the sake of consistency and someone who could stay a while, but Coach Saban has worked out more than fine. He learned from every stop he was at and tested the waters in different leagues and levels so that itch is gone. Now he is just perfecting his craft. Kirby landed a plum job from the start so maybe he will continue to learn or maybe he will eventually burn out because he can't use Georgia as a stepping stone to a better job.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
For all the talk about Saban’s coaching tree, he’s really only had three former assistants who have achieved any sort of high-level success as head coaches: Dantonio, Smart and Fisher. There are a bunch more who have landed anywhere from just average (McElwain, Muschamp at South Carolina, Cristobal) to abject failures (Dooley, Muschamp at Florida).

Given that, when Saban does retire I hope we don’t get too hung up on replacing him with a “Saban” guy. I think whether an assistant will ultimately make a good head coach has a lot more to do with the person and a lot less to do with whoever they worked for. Muschamp was the top Saban guy that everyone wanted for a long time. Conversely, the head coach that “groomed” Urban Meyer was the illustrious Bob Davie. I think people put too much stock in that sort of thing.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree with B1G, it is who CNS is, not his "process". Right now I believe Fisher may be the best of his former coaches, followed by Kirby. They are both very good coaches, but more importantly they are at SEC programs that put a premium on winning. These programs also have the financial, booster and alumni base to give them all they need to win and win big. I wish the best for Coach Locksley, but realistically Maryland is probably a career dead end. Others, like Dantonio, Muschamp and Kiffin, are a step below Fisher and Smart. Which brings me to Pruitt. I do not think with only one season as HC it is clear which group he will fit in, but we should be able to get a better read after next year. If I had to pick a successor to CNS and it had to be someone who coached for him, it would be Fisher.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I could see Kirby in the NFL some day. He has the ego for it.
KS has the drive, ego and ruthlessness to be great, maybe he has the focus, hard to know yet as are other attributes, but IMO, he is not smart enough. I'm not saying he is dumb by any means but he does not have anywhere near the mind that CNS does. IMO, Pruitt, though very unpolished is significantly sharper than Smart - don't know if he has the self-control or wisdom. Smart will do very well at UGA because he is sitting on a motherlode of talent and has gotten a voracious administration to buy in but not sure that can overcome his lack of elite mental capacity to be consistently great.

You can't begin to compare CNS' and CKS' career arcs in any way. I don't need to tell you why.

Edit: I just realized most of what I said in this post I said in an earlier one, one that I had forgotten.

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I don't really get the knocks. Mark Dantonio and Jimbo Fisher are top notch coaches, and Kirby looks like one too. Sure they haven't beaten Saban but he's the best coach in the nation and it's not like they have had a ton of opportunities.

Just like all coaching trees some guys end up being very good, others flame out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.