BHAM I-59/20 to be closed for over a year.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Yes. It’s the section between Hwy 31 and I-65. All that beside the BJCC is coming down.

I don’t get to Bham much so is this at malfunction junction where they are working? Wondering if I’ll have to do a detour to get on 20 to head towards Atlanta.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don’t get to Bham much so is this at malfunction junction where they are working? Wondering if I’ll have to do a detour to get on 20 to head towards Atlanta.
Easiest way to do that would be to get on 459 at the earliest opportunity.

Just be prepared for Gameday-like traffic, regardless of day of the week or direction you're headed. More 18-wheelers than cars.

If there's a wreck on 459, Lord help you.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Well it’ll be a late Sunday night or a very early Monday morning when we head that way. I’ll probably just go through Gadsden and hit 20 down past Pell City or wherever it comes out. I hate to do that because it adds 30 more minutes but it’ll probably take that long to get to 459 since I’m coming from north Alabama.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
They’re right to. For those of us in and around Birmingham, this is going to suck. Like, a lot.
I definitely feel for you guys. We have everlasting construction on 65 in Shelby County and that is a pain in itself. I can't wait for that to be completed, one wreck completely shuts down the interstate right now.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
From Nashville, would it be wise to get off at Hwy 69 to get into Tuscaloosa? Or will the I-20 exit be relatively clean?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
From Nashville, would it be wise to get off at Hwy 69 to get into Tuscaloosa? Or will the I-20 exit be relatively clean?

What time of day? Personally I would use 459. I haven't used it since the closing and I'm sure the traffic will be much heavier than normal but I think you would be fine.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Went through there today. They are moving along on getting the demo done. There was a couple hundred yards of the 31 North to 59/20 South/West ramp completely removed already. I wish there was a webcam somewhere so we could see the progress. I honestly think it would give the public some solace to see that things are happening.

SavanaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 25, 2000
Huntsville, AL

I traveled down I-65 from Huntsville yesterday (headed to the Tuesday night basketball game against Ole Miss!) and took the normal exit on to 59/20 to Tuscaloosa. No problems at all. It was likely 4:15 or so in the afternoon. Given that it was a late night game, I stayed overnight and drove back to Huntsville to work this morning. Again, I traveled 59/20 up from Tuscaloosa to I-65N to head to Huntsville. Came through there around 8 AM with no problems. Certainly Hwy 69 ensures you'll avoid any possibility of traffic, but my experience yesterday/today were both positive -- I'm sure a lot of it will be time-of-day driven.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I traveled down I-65 from Huntsville yesterday (headed to the Tuesday night basketball game against Ole Miss!) and took the normal exit on to 59/20 to Tuscaloosa. No problems at all. It was likely 4:15 or so in the afternoon. Given that it was a late night game, I stayed overnight and drove back to Huntsville to work this morning. Again, I traveled 59/20 up from Tuscaloosa to I-65N to head to Huntsville. Came through there around 8 AM with no problems. Certainly Hwy 69 ensures you'll avoid any possibility of traffic, but my experience yesterday/today were both positive -- I'm sure a lot of it will be time-of-day driven.
My wife commutes Warrior to Northport amd it has been normal so far. I exit 65 at highway 3 1 and then turn right at Cedar street, make a left at the stop sign and go by Boyles yard and come out on Tallapoosa street. No problems yet for either of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I feel for you guys. The same type thing has been happening in Jackson, TN. TDOT started in September 2017 and they are expecting the whole project to take 4 years and cost $67 million. I-40 bisects Jackson and it is an absolute nightmare to get from north to south Jackson.

Godspeed.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
For you Birmingham people, remember this The Red Mountain Expressway was supposed to take 7 years to complete. It took over 40.

Maybe they should have gotten the construction crew that fixed I-85 in Atlanta after it caught fire? They had that done in no time at all.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Some cool video on 59/20 Bridge Facebook page of the 31N to 59/20 South/West ramp demolition this morning.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Mrs. Basket Case and I live just south of the Jefferson / Shelby County line, and both work in downtown Birmingham.

So we were never worried about being directly impacted. We were, however, most worried about indirect impact...as in, traffic that normally goes over the 59/20 bridge diverts elsewhere and that gums up our commute.

Never thought I'd write this, but I have to give ALDOT props on the planning. Especially after the first couple of weeks as people made the adjustment, it really hasn't been that bad. Traffic on 459 is always heavy now, but it's tolerable.

The real issue is going to come when there's a major wreck on 459. Now that 459 is the alternative route, there is no alternative for 459, should it get clogged up for whatever reason.

That hasn't happened yet, but it's a question of when, not if. When it does, it's going to make getting in and out of Auburn on gameday look like racing at the Talladega 500.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I really never understood the neccessity for elevating the entire stretch of interstate through town!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
People have been working on I-20 from Atlanta to Birmingham for as long as I can remember. I cannot even think of a time when they weren't working on it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.