BHAM I-59/20 to be closed for over a year. - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Re: BHAM I-59/20 to be closed for over a year.

People have been working on I-20 from Atlanta to Birmingham for as long as I can remember. I cannot even think of a time when they weren't working on it.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar

Wanted to ask. Is it possible to get off the Fultondale exit and take a few roads to get to Pinson Valley Pkwy to get on I20 to heads towards Atlanta? The map shows it coming out well past the construction zone, but wanted to make sure this was a viable route. It would be around 4:30 in the morning when I come through here.
    Hebrews 11:1

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Jessica- I don't have an answer for you but here are some videos from the construction...

From March 2019: http://www.wbrc.com/2019/03/11/drive...-construction/

Last edited by BamaNation; April 8th, 2019 at 08:25 AM.

I think so, jessica

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica4Bama View Post
    Wanted to ask. Is it possible to get off the Fultondale exit and take a few roads to get to Pinson Valley Pkwy to get on I20 to heads towards Atlanta? The map shows it coming out well past the construction zone, but wanted to make sure this was a viable route. It would be around 4:30 in the morning when I come through here.
    Yes. I'd take Walker Chapel Rd and turn right onto Republic Ave./Black Creek Rd. It's about 2.5 miles to PV Pkwy from there.
    Last edited by Hoot30; April 11th, 2019 at 11:16 AM.
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

So question for my Atlanta friends. We are leaving for our trip on Monday and will be flying out of Atlanta. We plan on getting up early that morning to make the drive, which on a good day takes around 3 hours 10-20 minutes. I've driven plenty in Atlanta, but I'm not sure I've ever driven in rush hour in the morning. Our flight leaves at 11, so I plan on being at the airport 2-2.5 hours early. If we leave the house in north Alabama at 3 a.m. central/4 eastern will that allow enough time to get to the airport on time? We would be heading on I-20, but I didn't know how bad that 285 interchange would be at that time. Is traffic normally bumper to bumper going 20 mph or is it heavy traffic that moves smoothly (if such a thing exists in Atlanta)? Thanks for any tips!

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

So question for my Atlanta friends. We are leaving for our trip on Monday and will be flying out of Atlanta. We plan on getting up early that morning to make the drive, which on a good day takes around 3 hours 10-20 minutes. I've driven plenty in Atlanta, but I'm not sure I've ever driven in rush hour in the morning. Our flight leaves at 11, so I plan on being at the airport 2-2.5 hours early. If we leave the house in north Alabama at 3 a.m. central/4 eastern will that allow enough time to get to the airport on time? We would be heading on I-20, but I didn't know how bad that 285 interchange would be at that time. Is traffic normally bumper to bumper going 20 mph or is it heavy traffic that moves smoothly (if such a thing exists in Atlanta)? Thanks for any tips!

Go to google maps and enter your starting point and ATL airport as destination. Google map gives you the option to enter a starting time of day and day of the week. It will give you the typical driving time for that trip.
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

If you're hitting anywhere near rush out, look at taking Camp Creek Parkway to the airport.

It was suggested by another forum to just drive in the night before, but it is Mother's Day and we wanted to be home. But if we leave early enough I don't know why we wouldn't make it on time. The google map showed anywhere from 3 hours 5 mins. to 4 hours roughly to get there for time and day we are leaving. I don't want to be stressed before our trip even starts.

Does anyone know if rush hour traffic on I-20 is like a stop and go 5 mph type thing or does it flow albeit slowly?

you can probably check on the day of, but i-20 coming into the city from the west is usually a mess during morning rush hour and that 20/285 south interchange is not well laid out. if the gps shows the interchange is really backed up, you can exit at thornton rd (us hwy 6) a bout 4-5 exits before and take that south to the airport and it may bypass some of the traffic. but everything will be slow at that time of morning.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

It was suggested by another forum to just drive in the night before, but it is Mother's Day and we wanted to be home. But if we leave early enough I don't know why we wouldn't make it on time. The google map showed anywhere from 3 hours 5 mins. to 4 hours roughly to get there for time and day we are leaving. I don't want to be stressed before our trip even starts.
    When I fly out of ATL, I usually get one of those park/sly/sleep hotels online. They're typically cheap, they shuttle you to and from the airport, and they park your car for no extra cost. You can also pay more and stay at one of the hotels on the train route. You walk out of the hotel, go maybe 50 yards, and wind up on the Delta employee train to the airport. Since your flight is so late in the morning, I'd probably wait and leave maybe at 7 or 8 Sunday evening so you can have Mother's Day with your mom, drive to the hotel, check in late, but then sleep late too. You can eat breakfast at the hotel, leave the hotel at 9:55, get on the train/tram, and you'll be at the airport at 10:00, 1 hour early.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    you can probably check on the day of, but i-20 coming into the city from the west is usually a mess during morning rush hour and that 20/285 south interchange is not well laid out. if the gps shows the interchange is really backed up, you can exit at thornton rd (us hwy 6) a bout 4-5 exits before and take that south to the airport and it may bypass some of the traffic. but everything will be slow at that time of morning.
    ^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll