BHAM I-59/20 to be closed for over a year. - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: BHAM I-59/20 to be closed for over a year.

so, we'll be heading through b-ham from atlanta to i-22 in a few weeks. is it best to take 459 to 65 n and bypass i-20 thru downtown? or is it best to just suck it up and use the detours?
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    so, we'll be heading through b-ham from atlanta to i-22 in a few weeks. is it best to take 459 to 65 n and bypass i-20 thru downtown? or is it best to just suck it up and use the detours?
    Outside of rush hour, the detours will be faster.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

BamaNation All-American

Under normal circumstances you only add 3 or 4 minutes or so to your drive through Bham. They have done a nice job and have provided several options.

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    Under normal circumstances you only add 3 or 4 minutes or so to your drive through Bham. They have done a nice job and have provided several options.
    Can't believe I'm agreeing with this, but BIB's right. ALDOT really did a good job in what could have been a horrendous set of circumstances. It's a teeny bit inconvenient, but nowhere near what I thought it would be, especially if you can dodge rush hour. If you can do that, take the surface street detours.

If you absolutely can't avoid rush hour, especially the morning one, I'd probably go 459 to 65 to 22. Longer distance, but about the same time, and less stomach acid because you're dealing with 3-4 lane interstate congestion, as opposed to 1-2 lane surface street congestion.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; June 1st, 2019 at 05:15 AM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

I did the 459 loop in April when I was in T'town visiting the folks and the Ham for work. No problems at all.

If the navigation apps show a backup, just exit at the old Century Plaza, take 3rd Ave S into town and just keep on until it hits I65, get back on and head to I22.

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

one-quarter of new bridge segments installed. On track to re-open by March 2020

Quote Originally Posted by al.com
    The last phase of the Interstate 59/20 bridge project is now about 65 percent complete and on track to be open to traffic by the March 21, 2020, deadline, Alabama Department of Transportation officials said.

About 600 of the 2,316 segments of the new interstate bridges have been installed; Thatís a little more than one-quarter of all the segments that will comprise the new bridges, ALDOT East Central Region Engineer DeJarvis Leonard said
    https://www.al.com/news/2019/06/600-...ldot-says.html

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Re: one-quarter of new bridge segments installed. On track to re-open by March 2020

I know it is apples and oranges, but when the bridge on I-285 around Atlanta burned, the government showed what it can do if motivated to have a project done in a hurry.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: one-quarter of new bridge segments installed. On track to re-open by March 2020

Doesn't hurt that Georgia likely has a much better state tax revenue base and can fund things without federal money. In Alabama, you're getting the bare minimum federally funded implementation for many public works and services.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Doesn't hurt that Georgia likely has a much better state tax revenue base and can fund things without federal money. In Alabama, you're getting the bare minimum federally funded implementation for many public works and services.
    That changes with Rebuild Alabama. The federal match amount is gone after this year from what I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

This has nothing to do with the OP's thread, but went to visit my aunt in Montgomery this past Wednesday. I decided to make the drive on the backroads and avoid the Interstate. It probably took an hour longer, but it was stress free plus I got to go through some small towns in Alabama I had heard of but never had the chance to see.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    This has nothing to do with the OP's thread, but went to visit my aunt in Montgomery this past Wednesday. I decided to make the drive on the backroads and avoid the Interstate. It probably took an hour longer, but it was stress free plus I got to go through some small towns in Alabama I had heard of but never had the chance to see.
    That is kind of the way I feel about Atlanta. I'll drive a long way around Atlanta to avoid the Atlanta metro area. It may take longer in the end, but much less stressful.
    Last edited by Tidewater; July 14th, 2019 at 05:33 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    That changes with Rebuild Alabama. The federal match amount is gone after this year from what I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wait, Rebuild Alabama is making the problem worse?
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!