BHAM I-59/20 to be closed for over a year.
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

BHAM I-59/20 to be closed for over a year.

Sweet Mother of God

Interstate 59/20 through downtown Birmingham will close for an estimated 14 months beginning in mid- to late-January of 2019, according to the Alabama Department of Transportation, as contractors work to rebuild the aging interstate bridges running through the heart of the city.

If the closures proceed on schedule, the interstate would reopen in March 2020, with the entire project expected to be completed by November 2020.
    Never thought I'd be in a position to look forward to ATL traffic...
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar

Re: BHAM I-59/20 to be closed for over a year.

Yikes this and our never ending construction on 65 in Shelby County. Not going to be fun next year.
    Roll Tide

FB|BB Moderator

Yeah, it's a span of less than a mile, and painful though it will be, the project is 100% necessary. The thing is literally about to collapse. There used to be parking under the span, but it was closed a few years ago due to chunks of concrete and steel falling.

It really should have been done long ago.

Mrs. Basket Case and I don't use it much, so it won't affect us directly. We will, however be greatly affected by all the detoured traffic, especially on I-459.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; December 8th, 2018 at 11:29 AM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Add about 4 - 6 months to that completion date. It's a gvt/union job.
    Formerly known as BamaInCummingGa

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

They are basically shifting the through traffic over to Finley Blvd. This is going to be an absolute disaster. I sincerely hope they work 24/7 on this and at least try to open it back up in stages. Say get the eastbound lanes done and open and let it go then finish the westbound or vice versus. I know they wont but a guy can hope. Its bad enough when someone has an accident but add that to too much traffic funneled on to too little road and its a recipe for absolute disaster.

BamaNation All-American crimson fan man's Avatar

Well they can work faster then you think if there are incentives. When the bridge burned down in the early 2000's they redone that in record time. You can work 24/7 with lights they have now and get it done. Had to do Finley blvd in that period and it sucked then, can't see how it will improve now. Will not argue that it needs done.

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

The problem is the time they have to wait between concrete pours. I think its 21 days they have to let it cure before they crush the test cylinders. If it passes, they can continue. The deal with the burned bridge was that a special deal was cut by the concrete provider (USA Concrete I think) where they said if it didnt pass the crush test then theyd eat the cost to tear it all out and reform/repour.
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson fan man View Post
    Well they can work faster then you think if there are incentives. When the bridge burned down in the early 2000's they redone that in record time. You can work 24/7 with lights they have now and get it done. Had to do Finley blvd in that period and it sucked then, can't see how it will improve now. Will not argue that it needs done.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

I was there last month and it was already a nightmare by the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by AlistarWills View Post
    The problem is the time they have to wait between concrete pours. I think it’s 21 days they have to let it cure before they crush the test cylinders. If it passes, they can continue. The deal with the burned bridge was that a special deal was cut by the concrete provider (USA Concrete I think) where they said if it didn’t pass the crush test then they’d eat the cost to tear it all out and reform/repour.
    The design strength of concrete is considered to be 28 days. You don't have to wait for the 28 day test to proceed with construction....generally. Bridge construction may have different requirements though.

The 7 day break pretty much tells you where the concrete will be at 28 days.

Quote Originally Posted by AlistarWills View Post
    The problem is the time they have to wait between concrete pours. I think it’s 21 days they have to let it cure before they crush the test cylinders. If it passes, they can continue. The deal with the burned bridge was that a special deal was cut by the concrete provider (USA Concrete I think) where they said if it didn’t pass the crush test then they’d eat the cost to tear it all out and reform/repour.
    The special deal was with Brasfield and Gorrie. They negotiated a huge bonus for each day they were early and a huge penalty for each day that they were late.

If the concrete cylinders fail, the batch plant generally has to pay to replace what was done. That's not a special deal for the bridge, that's how it generally works in all of the construction that I've dealt with. In 25 years as a structural engineer, I can think of maybe 2-4x that concrete has ever had to be removed and replaced on a project that I've been involved with. Concrete coming up far enough below strength that it has to be removed is extremely rare.

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

2000 years old and still standing. Do as the Romans. You just can't beat an arch.

"I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    The special deal was with Brasfield and Gorrie. They negotiated a huge bonus for each day they were early and a huge penalty for each day that they were late.

If the concrete cylinders fail, the batch plant generally has to pay to replace what was done. That's not a special deal for the bridge, that's how it generally works in all of the construction that I've dealt with. In 25 years as a structural engineer, I can think of maybe 2-4x that concrete has ever had to be removed and replaced on a project that I've been involved with. Concrete coming up far enough below strength that it has to be removed is extremely rare.
    I have a one car garage set on a slab which we laid when it was over 100F. On top of it, the driver got lost and ended up out north of Huntsville in Cherokee Hills instead of Cherokee Dr. He had to add water. The only finishers were me, my wife and a friend. Fortunately, an architect friend lives around the corner and he and his wife were listening for the concrete truck to come by. They arrived shortly in his pickup with bull floats, Darbies, the works. So our crew jumped to five. I had no high hopes for the strength of that concrete at all, given the circumstances, having to add water, etc. However, later, when I went back to try to set some flashing in the edge of the lower side, I couldn't get anything in with the strongest .22 loads. It is some of the hardest concrete I've ever seen...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Live in Trussville. Work in Southside. My commute is going to suck. Oh well. It’s a necessary step.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!