BHAM I-59/20 to be closed for over a year.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Wanted to ask. Is it possible to get off the Fultondale exit and take a few roads to get to Pinson Valley Pkwy to get on I20 to heads towards Atlanta? The map shows it coming out well past the construction zone, but wanted to make sure this was a viable route. It would be around 4:30 in the morning when I come through here.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Wanted to ask. Is it possible to get off the Fultondale exit and take a few roads to get to Pinson Valley Pkwy to get on I20 to heads towards Atlanta? The map shows it coming out well past the construction zone, but wanted to make sure this was a viable route. It would be around 4:30 in the morning when I come through here.
Yes. I'd take Walker Chapel Rd and turn right onto Republic Ave./Black Creek Rd. It's about 2.5 miles to PV Pkwy from there.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
So question for my Atlanta friends. We are leaving for our trip on Monday and will be flying out of Atlanta. We plan on getting up early that morning to make the drive, which on a good day takes around 3 hours 10-20 minutes. I've driven plenty in Atlanta, but I'm not sure I've ever driven in rush hour in the morning. Our flight leaves at 11, so I plan on being at the airport 2-2.5 hours early. If we leave the house in north Alabama at 3 a.m. central/4 eastern will that allow enough time to get to the airport on time? We would be heading on I-20, but I didn't know how bad that 285 interchange would be at that time. Is traffic normally bumper to bumper going 20 mph or is it heavy traffic that moves smoothly (if such a thing exists in Atlanta)? Thanks for any tips!

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
So question for my Atlanta friends. We are leaving for our trip on Monday and will be flying out of Atlanta. We plan on getting up early that morning to make the drive, which on a good day takes around 3 hours 10-20 minutes. I've driven plenty in Atlanta, but I'm not sure I've ever driven in rush hour in the morning. Our flight leaves at 11, so I plan on being at the airport 2-2.5 hours early. If we leave the house in north Alabama at 3 a.m. central/4 eastern will that allow enough time to get to the airport on time? We would be heading on I-20, but I didn't know how bad that 285 interchange would be at that time. Is traffic normally bumper to bumper going 20 mph or is it heavy traffic that moves smoothly (if such a thing exists in Atlanta)? Thanks for any tips!

Go to google maps and enter your starting point and ATL airport as destination. Google map gives you the option to enter a starting time of day and day of the week. It will give you the typical driving time for that trip.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
If you're hitting anywhere near rush out, look at taking Camp Creek Parkway to the airport.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
It was suggested by another forum to just drive in the night before, but it is Mother's Day and we wanted to be home. But if we leave early enough I don't know why we wouldn't make it on time. The google map showed anywhere from 3 hours 5 mins. to 4 hours roughly to get there for time and day we are leaving. I don't want to be stressed before our trip even starts.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
you can probably check on the day of, but i-20 coming into the city from the west is usually a mess during morning rush hour and that 20/285 south interchange is not well laid out. if the gps shows the interchange is really backed up, you can exit at thornton rd (us hwy 6) a bout 4-5 exits before and take that south to the airport and it may bypass some of the traffic. but everything will be slow at that time of morning.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
It was suggested by another forum to just drive in the night before, but it is Mother's Day and we wanted to be home. But if we leave early enough I don't know why we wouldn't make it on time. The google map showed anywhere from 3 hours 5 mins. to 4 hours roughly to get there for time and day we are leaving. I don't want to be stressed before our trip even starts.
When I fly out of ATL, I usually get one of those park/sly/sleep hotels online. They're typically cheap, they shuttle you to and from the airport, and they park your car for no extra cost. You can also pay more and stay at one of the hotels on the train route. You walk out of the hotel, go maybe 50 yards, and wind up on the Delta employee train to the airport. Since your flight is so late in the morning, I'd probably wait and leave maybe at 7 or 8 Sunday evening so you can have Mother's Day with your mom, drive to the hotel, check in late, but then sleep late too. You can eat breakfast at the hotel, leave the hotel at 9:55, get on the train/tram, and you'll be at the airport at 10:00, 1 hour early.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
you can probably check on the day of, but i-20 coming into the city from the west is usually a mess during morning rush hour and that 20/285 south interchange is not well laid out. if the gps shows the interchange is really backed up, you can exit at thornton rd (us hwy 6) a bout 4-5 exits before and take that south to the airport and it may bypass some of the traffic. but everything will be slow at that time of morning.
^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Thanks, everyone. I don't want to be stressed before we even begin the vacation so we plan on leaving Sunday night sometime. I have no idea why I hadn't thought of rush hour traffic in Atlanta. I guess I thought it being so early in the morning, we would be fine but I live somewhere where traffic is hardly a problem. LOL

We are flying to Mexico, so will that put us at needing to get to the airport earlier? We also already have reservations to park our car at a parking lot that services the international terminal. It's called Fast Park & Relax. I don't know how I feel about leaving my car at a hotel for so long, but there may not be any problems in doing so. The only thing most of them won't drop off at the international terminal. Now we are flying Delta and I know we can checkin at the domestic terminal and make our way, but my mom will be utilizing a wheelchair in the airport because she can't walk that far. I figure it would be easier to just go to the international terminal entrance instead of using yet another shuttle to get from the domestic terminal to the international one.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Thanks, everyone. I don't want to be stressed before we even begin the vacation so we plan on leaving Sunday night sometime. I have no idea why I hadn't thought of rush hour traffic in Atlanta. I guess I thought it being so early in the morning, we would be fine but I live somewhere where traffic is hardly a problem. LOL

We are flying to Mexico, so will that put us at needing to get to the airport earlier? We also already have reservations to park our car at a parking lot that services the international terminal. It's called Fast Park & Relax. I don't know how I feel about leaving my car at a hotel for so long, but there may not be any problems in doing so. The only thing most of them won't drop off at the international terminal. Now we are flying Delta and I know we can checkin at the domestic terminal and make our way, but my mom will be utilizing a wheelchair in the airport because she can't walk that far. I figure it would be easier to just go to the international terminal entrance instead of using yet another shuttle to get from the domestic terminal to the international one.
You didn’t think about rush hour traffic in Atlanta? We are really only known for 5 things here
1. Traffic
2. Sports teams choking
3. Traffic
4. Delta hub
5. Traffic

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
You didn’t think about rush hour traffic in Atlanta? We are really only known for 5 things here
1. Traffic
2. Sports teams choking
3. Traffic
4. Delta hub
5. Traffic
LOL. I knew about the traffic, but I didn't think about it being bad that early in the morning and I didn't put together the time we'd be going through there. I haven't ever driven Atlanta rush hour traffic before, thankfully. :)

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

we have used the fast park and relax a few times for the international terminal and it works very well. it is super close to the terminal. you can check in on the domestic side, but if your mom is in a wheelchair, it is probably not worth it as you have to take the plane train from one end to the other. i have heard that the shuttles from domestic to international are a pain. i find that international check-in and security is usually better/easier than domestic. and the domestic terminal will likely be a zoo on monday morning with all of the business travelers.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
we have used the fast park and relax a few times for the international terminal and it works very well. it is super close to the terminal. you can check in on the domestic side, but if your mom is in a wheelchair, it is probably not worth it as you have to take the plane train from one end to the other. i have heard that the shuttles from domestic to international are a pain. i find that international check-in and security is usually better/easier than domestic. and the domestic terminal will likely be a zoo on monday morning with all of the business travelers.
Is it true we need to be at the airport 3 hours early for international flight? I was thinking two, but I don't know how slow or fast these things go in the Atlanta airport.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

I think international requires being there 2 hours early. Be sure and check on that. I'm flying out of ATL on Thursday with an 11am flight, but am really not doing anything special. I'll leave here at 6am, but it'll be maybe 8:45 local when I get there because of the timezone. It's about a 1:45 drive time for me.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Is it true we need to be at the airport 3 hours early for international flight? I was thinking two, but I don't know how slow or fast these things go in the Atlanta airport.
i have never even cut it close with a two hour early arrival. i usually give myself 1.5-2 hours for int'l and 1 for domestic. i have clearsip and tsa precheck so i get thru security fast for domestic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.