Link: UCF AD Danny White Not Happy With Scott Stricklin’s Scheduling Idea

rollntider

All-SEC
Jun 10, 2001
Bessemer AL 35023
www.blindsideblitz.com
Florida State was a nothing school, played anyone anywhere anytime, so did miami. They became big deals in the 80's. Then conferences wanted to add them. UCF wants the respect without paying the dues. Start playing teams and beating power 5 on a regular basis. Then talk home and home.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Let’s see. You want to play a real team. But won’t accept their terms.
That's exactly what Boise St. did with Nebraska. They whine and complain about scheduling but at the end of the day they refuse to do what it takes.

Also to add to the FSU scheduling discussion, I was discussing the 2000 BCS and how FSU got in. You know how they did it? They didn't schedule a single cupcake! They put BYU, Louisville and Florida on their schedule. And, that's from a team that was already in a major conference! Compare that to what UCF is doing with their schedule...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Man i hope lsu piles half a 100 on them ! They are like a gnat that wont go away
Agreed. I hope they don’t go full derp and pull an Auburn. If they beat two middling SEC teams in bowl games two years in a row they will be unbearable next year. So will the talk heads who want playoff expansion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've run into this with more than one Big Ten fan lately.

"Alabama plays a cake schedule and won't play tough OOC games on the road."

Me:
If they're not that good then the venue doesn't matter. Call up Greg Byrne for a one shot deal in BDS and walk in and kick our butts.
Shouldn't be that hard if we're as bad as you say."

Them:
(crickets)......

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Just to play devil's advocate, what exactly is inaccurate about White's statement, "Top-10 programs don't schedule 2-for-1 series where the balance is not in their favor."?

He also makes it clear that UCF will play any Power 5 (he sneaks in the term "Power 6") team in a home-home series, so he's only asking for a fair shake in scheduling.

The problem is that Power 5 teams are still wanting to treat UCF like a second-class citizen when it comes to scheduling, but UCF is currently ranked in top 10, finished last year ranked in top 10, and finished 2013 season ranked in top 10. So in 6 years they've been a top 10 team under 3 different coaches. Maybe, just maybe they are deserving of a little respect.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I've run into this with more than one Big Ten fan lately.

"Alabama plays a cake schedule and won't play tough OOC games on the road."

Me:
If they're not that good then the venue doesn't matter. Call up Greg Byrne for a one shot deal in BDS and walk in and kick our butts.
Shouldn't be that hard if we're as bad as you say."

Them:
(crickets)......
Alabama is skeered to play northern teams in November.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just to play devil's advocate, what exactly is inaccurate about White's statement, "Top-10 programs don't schedule 2-for-1 series where the balance is not in their favor."?

He also makes it clear that UCF will play any Power 5 (he sneaks in the term "Power 6") team in a home-home series, so he's only asking for a fair shake in scheduling.

The problem is that Power 5 teams are still wanting to treat UCF like a second-class citizen when it comes to scheduling, but UCF is currently ranked in top 10, finished last year ranked in top 10, and finished 2013 season ranked in top 10. So in 6 years they've been a top 10 team under 3 different coaches. Maybe, just maybe they are deserving of a little respect.
They are not a top 10 program - they have a top 10 team. There is a HUGE difference.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

No, the problem is he expects P5 teams to give up a home game (revenue) just to give UCF a chance. If he wants to earn it, give up the home revenue and play away games against P5 teams - if they're capable of winning few of those, they'll start getting respect.

Where they've finished the last two years is meaningless - half of the SEC would be on a 25-ish game win streak playing that schedule.

Respect is earned - UCF has done nothing to earn it, and only whines because other teams aren't willing to forgo millions in AD revenue so they can have a shot. They're literally BSu 2.0 - same song and dance, and will almost certainly be the same outcome.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

It’s because of the behind the scenes dealings with these teams. 2-1 concept makes perfect sense.

Take the Boise situation for example. Boise boasted “anybody, anytime, anywhere”. When Nebraska said that they would do a H&H, Boise said “ okay, but we want our normal million dollar check when we play in Lincoln, and want our home game to be 80%”. Nebraska said “hell no take a regular H&H cut, or we can just play one game in KC” Boise ofcourse refused and went on to say “ Nebraska is scared”.

But to give Boise credit they did do a H&H with Oregon and pretty much all of their neutral site openers were more or less true road games ( UGA in Ga Dome and VT in Fedex).

But the problem with UCF doing a H&H with Florida is that UCF will undoubtedly try some crap like Boise in that they structure it to where only UCF has a financial reward. If UCF agreed to a 50-50 (which they won’t) then I’m sure Florida would be open toa two game series. The 2nd game in Gainesville is to protect Florida from getting screwed.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
But the problem with UCF doing a H&H with Florida is that UCF will undoubtedly try some crap like Boise in that they structure it to where only UCF has a financial reward. If UCF agreed to a 50-50 (which they won’t) then I’m sure Florida would be open toa two game series. The 2nd game in Gainesville is to protect Florida from getting screwed.
It's even more than that...

Attachments

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
No, the problem is he expects P5 teams to give up a home game (revenue) just to give UCF a chance. If he wants to earn it, give up the home revenue and play away games against P5 teams - if they're capable of winning few of those, they'll start getting respect.

Where they've finished the last two years is meaningless - half of the SEC would be on a 25-ish game win streak playing that schedule.

Respect is earned - UCF has done nothing to earn it, and only whines because other teams aren't willing to forgo millions in AD revenue so they can have a shot. They're literally BSu 2.0 - same song and dance, and will almost certainly be the same outcome.
UCF fan on Twitter is trying to whine about lack of respect. I tried reason (I know I know, it’s Twitter) but to no avail. I sincerely hope they get crushed in the bowl. I’m tired of their playing the victim card and the big bad power teams leaving them to the kids table.

Grow a pair and schedule tough OOC games no matter the cost for several years and then come talk about joining the adult table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He also makes it clear that UCF will play any Power 5 (he sneaks in the term "Power 6") team in a home-home series, so he's only asking for a fair shake in scheduling
No he's not. Their stadium is like 45,000 capacity. That's like asking the Cowboys to come play at Ladd Stadium.

Not only that, but UCF is complaining about their scheduling woes, but they won't do anything to fix it...

Here's the thing. They are doing it on purpose! It's what Boise St. did to. They don't want tough games, so they act tough then at the end of the day they refuse to do what it takes to schedule the games.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

It's what everybody else has already said. In the next 2 years when UCF goes back into mediocrity and obscurity no power 5 team wants to be holding the bag of having to pay UCF a large sum of money for a game that nobody is interested in. Sure, if UCF and Bama played this year it would be a sell out and have a ton of national buzz but it's pretty much guaranteed that this is the peak of a UCF team in terms of national attention and exposure. OTOH, when Bama schedules home and home with Texas and other national powers (Penn St a few years ago) those games are always sellouts and produce national exposure regardless of how good Texas or whoever the other team is. It basically comes down to risk from a business perspective. It's incredibly risky for a program like Alabama to schedule a home and home with UCF because that game will likely become a money pit whereas a game vs Texas (or another elite program) will almost always make money and be a net benefit to Alabama's program..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No he's not. Their stadium is like 45,000 capacity. That's like asking the Cowboys to come play at Ladd Stadium.

Not only that, but UCF is complaining about their scheduling woes, but they won't do anything to fix it...

Here's the thing. They are doing it on purpose! It's what Boise St. did to. They don't want tough games, so they act tough then at the end of the day they refuse to do what it takes to schedule the games.
Boise actually scheduled tough games. The problem with Boise was that once the PAC 12 and Big XII denied their entrance to a P5 conference they started to act as the next ND in that they were just as important as the Big boys without being a part of a big boy conference.

UCF hasn’t tried to schedule tough OOCs yet.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
EXACTLY. I saw the power6 thing on a commercial a few weeks ago. It was the week UCF was on game day. There is no power 6. Hell, in a few years o think the power 5 will be a power 4 with 1 conference just pretending to be in the group.
Or Power 3. I think the Big 12 (AKA the University of Texas Conference) or the Pac 10 are both sliding towards irrelevancy.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
A legit top 10 program in D1 offers UCF a prove it deal and UCF has the audacity to turn it down because it puts UCF at a disadvantage?

ATP, UCF will never join the big boys because their AD do not have the courage or the boldness to take that step.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
If Danny White had a brain, he'd stop whining about scheduling (he's just advertising to the world that he's doing a poor job as AD) and he would get in front of every camera possible and lobby for admission into a Power 5 conference, or for a re-alignment of the Power 5 and select others to a potential Power 6. Instead of trying to insist that the CFP come to UCF, bring UCF into the CFP conversation by getting in the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.