Link: UCF AD Danny White Not Happy With Scott Stricklinís Scheduling Idea - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789

Re: UCF AD Danny White Not Happy With Scott Stricklinís Scheduling Idea

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Nobody remembers 1998 Tulane.
    A few may remember 1999 Marshall because of a couple of big names.
    I'd point one thing out, since attributions are being made.

I believe it was 1992 when they reduced the scholarship limit to 85. The 90s also saw an influx of programs joining what was then known as D1 (including Troy, UAB, UCF, Boise St., etc...), because after all the NCAA made accommodations for them to quote one coach, by "leveling the playing field". At the time there were less than 100 teams in D1, and there hadn't been an irrelevant undefeated team since the 70s (when Division 2 was created), if I recall my research on the subject.

So, basically we had two full decades of no irrelevant undefeated teams. The scholarship limits and an influx of football welfare programs brought that to an end.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Tulane didn't make a big deal about it because their own coach - Tommy Bowden - said that having coached in the SEC, he could not justify the gauntlet teams like Tennessee (who, of course, went unbeaten that year) as being the same as Tulane's own piddly schedule.

Scott Frost basically said the same thing about UCF.

They just chose to not get the memo.
    Yeah but the BCS in the beginning was very strict against the inclusion of non BCS conferences. The KSU rule of 1998 started the movement of the inclusions of Non BCS AQs. The KSU rule in 2004 put Texas in the Rose Bowl being ranked #4 because the Rose was given the first choice. They were forced to take the #4 team due to Sugar having the SEC AQ who was ranked #3. It denied California the BCS invite and forced the Fiesta to take Utah at #6 because the Rose was forced to take Texas instead of the PAC 10 runner up. It also forced a non BCS AQ from 2005- present because Utah ended up winning.

The order of matchups in 2004:

Orange (NCG): #1 USC vs #2 Oklahoma

Rose: Big 10 champ vs Top atlarge if in Top 5 then PAC 10 alternate

Sugar: SEC champ vs at large

Fiesta: Big East vs at large

Point is neither Tulane or Marshall ever sniffed an opportunity to voice a semi legitimate opinion like Utah in 2004. After Utah went undefeated the BCS started giving highly ranked non BCS teams a chance. Point is had the KSU rule not existed then California wouldíve been in the Rose and Texas wouldíve been in the Fiesta and we wouldíve never worried about Utah or Boise.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; December 20th, 2018 at 10:16 PM.

BamaNation All-American BradtheImpaler's Avatar

Hey, UCF... TWO of your "quality" wins this year took an L to a 6-6 Wake Forest in their bowl game.
    It also doesn't help your case that the co-champion in the other division in your conference took a 70-14 curb-stomping to Army.
    Your conference is lukewarm garbage.
    Hot garbage is too good.
    Take every opportunity you can get to upgrade your schedule.
    "In the second quarter, I saw Torretta look over at me, and he froze for a second. I saw fear."
    John Copeland