Heisman Trophy & comments from an OU fan...

Sevenmm

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 16, 2018
As a Sooner fan I was struck and appreciated the comments by Kyler Murray in his acceptance speech, when he spoke of and thanked his boys, meaning Tua and the Ohio St. player; after watching them in media the last few days it appeared to me, at least that Kyler and Tua had bonded in a good way.....really all three of them seemed to.

I referred to Bama and Sooners having such respect in prior games and this keeps that going; Of course it will fire up some on Tua's behalf, just as it did OU, back when Josh Heupel came in second to Chris Wenke, Fla. St. in 2000. OU won that game and the national title, with some players saying they felt their guy Josh, should have won the Heisman rather than Chris, it was a motivator, will it be this time ?? not sure Bama has to have that to be motivated, when you are that good, you simply play your best regardless.

As a two touchdown dog to Bama, I'm having a hard time striking a chord about this game that is a statement of we will do this or that......thinking more, just hope we survive and don't get embarrassed as one of our and football's best teams ever did against S. Cal several years back; I'm serious it could be that bad, in Bama's favor; then again, it could be a nail biter of a point or two in OU's favor.

As time draws near for this game, the anxiety should rise on both teams and fan bases; just hard to get too upset and racket jawing with people you respect............If OU had a semblance of a defense I could make some supportive statements that may raise some ire, but as it is, I know for a fact we will watch Bama go up and down the field pretty much at will, as lessor teams have done all year on us....so for now, I still think it will be a surprising game, just don't know yet what the surprise might be.......and Congratulations to Kyler Murray, that's about as contentious as it can be for now; Congratulations to Tua as well, he's young and will probably win it before leaving.....

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Re: Heisman Trophy tonight

The way the refs call penalties for offenses all but assures Oklahoma will not be out of this game. I wake up sweating to pass interference calls for footballs four feet over outstretched hands, underthrown balls five yards behind the receiver, and offensive lineman tackling or defenders. I'm slowly learning to accept that this is just the way it's going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

The way the refs call penalties for offenses all but assures Oklahoma will not be out of this game. I wake up sweating to pass interference calls for footballs four feet over outstretched hands, underthrown balls five yards behind the receiver, and offensive lineman tackling or defenders. I'm slowly learning to accept that this is just the way it's going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You and me both, brother. The real game of football is passing us by, and pass interference, targeting, replay, and any other possible aid to the offensive side of the ball is continuing to rise. It is the sad demise of a great game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I referred to Bama and Sooners having such respect in prior games and this keeps that going; Of course it will fire up some on Tua's behalf, just as it did OU, back when Josh Heupel came in second to Chris Wenke, Fla. St. in 2000. OU won that game and the national title, with some players saying they felt their guy Josh, should have won the Heisman rather than Chris, it was a motivator, will it be this time ?? not sure Bama has to have that to be motivated, when you are that good, you simply play your best regardless.
It will be a motivating factor. You can bet your mortgage on it.

A Vanderbilt player got sassy about Alabama on camera following a win over Kansas State last year. We beat them 59-0.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

It will be a motivating factor. You can bet your mortgage on it.

A Vanderbilt player got sassy about Alabama on camera following a win over Kansas State last year. We beat them 59-0.
Oklahoma ain’t Vandy, and I haven’t heard anything but respectful comments from their players and coaches regarding us.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Oklahoma ain’t Vandy, and I haven’t heard anything but respectful comments from their players and coaches regarding us.
That’s not the point. The point is there was no reason for Alabama to need motivation to beat down Vanderbilt yet they used that guy’s comments anyway. So, you can bet the least little slight will be used as a motivating tool and this Heisman result is certainly seen as a slight by Alabama’s team.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Since we already have a Tua/Heisman thread, and the OP's remarks were really more about the matchup I've taken the liberty of modifying the thread title to let the thread proceed in that direction...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Re: Heisman Trophy tonight & comments from an OU fan...

That’s not the point. The point is there was no reason for Alabama to need motivation to beat down Vanderbilt yet they used that guy’s comments anyway. So, you can bet the least little slight will be used as a motivating tool and this Heisman result is certainly seen as a slight by Alabama’s team.
At this point as a fan I’ll just take a win—any win, even by just one point—over the Sooners. I’m tired of losing to them.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL

I think OU's offense is very good. good enough to put up 30-40 on bama's defense which is saying a lot as bamas scoring D is 4th right now. problem is OU's D couldn't hold 2009 bama to 45 much less this bama team. Bama is 2nd in scoring O and OU is 96th in scoring D and 105th in pass eff D. Yikes.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Well, here's from an administrator on one of their boards:

They're really not understanding OU's talent level on offense and the fact that OU has a number of players on offense that would start for Alabama, and the first eash one is Kyler over Tua "I choked against the only good defenses I faced" Tagliovuvavolovopelsteain.

They have not seen a better passing attack, nor rushing attack and what does OU's competition have to do with OU's real world talent level and the answer to that is ZERO. They're a bunch of inbred hicks who would sell their daughters if it mean another national title. They're pathetic.
How's that? I guess we can hope he's the exception. Around here, admins and moderators actually moderate. I've kept the tab up to see how much more of that horsecrap we'll see...

Sevenmm

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 16, 2018

This data is scary, and why we don't play on paper; I get asked often if We, OU have a chance........do you know how long it's been since you guys were asked that question? honestly its been a long time for us too; Bama has risen to that status; but not to be mistaken with being fearful, simply respectful as we also play and have played Championship football for many decades. I recall when we met in the Bluebonnet Bowl, back in the day, we were behind and as usual Bear had a tough and strong, fundamentally sound team; with time getting low, we had an injury to a RB and being low on RBs we moved a smallish but fast Split End (remember those terms) to RB and in no time with a pitch out or two, we were tied up and it stayed that way; that players name was Greg Pruitt; will there be any Greg Pruitts in this game ?? as there was a Tua in last years game ?? won't know till it's over, but one thing for sure, it won't be a tie; remember when Darrel Royal, long time successful texas coach, said a tie is like kissing your sister.........

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL

This data is scary, and why we don't play on paper; I get asked often if We, OU have a chance........do you know how long it's been since you guys were asked that question? honestly its been a long time for us too; Bama has risen to that status; but not to be mistaken with being fearful, simply respectful as we also play and have played Championship football for many decades. I recall when we met in the Bluebonnet Bowl, back in the day, we were behind and as usual Bear had a tough and strong, fundamentally sound team; with time getting low, we had an injury to a RB and being low on RBs we moved a smallish but fast Split End (remember those terms) to RB and in no time with a pitch out or two, we were tied up and it stayed that way; that players name was Greg Pruitt; will there be any Greg Pruitts in this game ?? as there was a Tua in last years game ?? won't know till it's over, but one thing for sure, it won't be a tie; remember when Darrel Royal, long time successful texas coach, said a tie is like kissing your sister.........
obviously we have a lot of respect for OU's program and for the athletes there. It's just impossible to take the name off the jersey and look at a team with probably the worst statistical defense to play for a national title in the history of D1 football, and be super worried about the game.

Sevenmm

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 16, 2018

Well, here's from an administrator on one of their boards:

How's that? I guess we can hope he's the exception. Around here, admins and moderators actually moderate. I've kept the tab up to see how much more of that horsecrap we'll see...
I'm not an administrator from any board or such, and don't belong to any OU board that would allow that drivel, are you allowed to say which board you went to and read that ?? I doubt I ever read it though there may be one to more that allow that; so pick your snot where you like, but that is not the way I play it, here or anywhere. This is competitive football, you don't have to have a good reason to be chippy, the game itself sets that up for us. When Bama fans came to Norman a while back and prior to that when we were down there is was a tremendously good setting of fandom for the game by two giants in college ball and the fans were respectful and very welcoming; sad the boards sometimes have those who wouldn't be welcome either way; but back to the game............Just a tid bit; I lived in Clanton, Alabama as a young boy and have fond memories of that with a degree of pride about it. Later after becoming an Okie, I played HS ball there, etc. and just to mention I know a little about the game; I was awarded a Natl. Athletic Award as a Jr. in high school, decades ago and recruited by Oklahoma, Okla. St and others as a Jr. in HS but had health issue show up big time as a Sr. and had to drop it; heartbreak to this day, and I love the game for all it's good things just as much; saddens me to see rancor and meanness when some feel that's the way to show support and competitiveness; not so in my book; by the way, back then I met up with a bunch of Bama recruits also and spent a short time with those guys while at another college visiting; all good.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I've watched 3 OK games... Looking forward to seeing them play Alabama.
From everything I have seen about KM and TT. They have kind of bonded.

The game of college football has changed a lot in the last several years, and not for the good. Targeting calls are necessary, but many Refs go overboard looking to kick kids out of the game. That part is an aggravation to us all.

In my opinion Refs go overboard when passes should be ruled uncatchable.

None of this will matter when we play, as long as the refs are fair and use a little common sense in their calls.
HERE'S HOPING FOR A GOOD GAME WHERE PLAYERS FROM NEITHER TEAM ARE INJURED.

Sevenmm

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 16, 2018

cmmiller711...........regretfully I must agree with you; most OU fans I know were beyond going ballistic just before our DC was fired just after the first game with texas; it was more than one could bear and humiliating beyond belief, seriously the anger and unhappiness was world class; not much has changed since that week honestly and have anything left but a fighter's chance; it's the most schizophrenic thing I've ever seen in person, to have the level of Offense we do and almost a non existent D that was beyond ridicule, seriously so; the only hope and being very realistic, is that a key injury and or unusual set of turnovers in OUs favor, plus playing error free ball at the same time, is about the only way this could be close and the odds of those things occurring are slim and none. We'll show up but sure won't be any chest beating......

Btw, have you seen the replay of last years OU game with Ga. ?? we were every bit as bad on D then.........

man, this is like the Twilight Zone, can't make butter from pond water......just hope the best team doesn't win.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL

cmmiller711...........regretfully I must agree with you; most OU fans I know were beyond going ballistic just before our DC was fired just after the first game with texas; it was more than one could bear and humiliating beyond belief, seriously the anger and unhappiness was world class; not much has changed since that week honestly and have anything left but a fighter's chance; it's the most schizophrenic thing I've ever seen in person, to have the level of Offense we do and almost a non existent D that was beyond ridicule, seriously so; the only hope and being very realistic, is that a key injury and or unusual set of turnovers in OUs favor, plus playing error free ball at the same time, is about the only way this could be close and the odds of those things occurring are slim and none. We'll show up but sure won't be any chest beating......

Btw, have you seen the replay of last years OU game with Ga. ?? we were every bit as bad on D then.........

man, this is like the Twilight Zone, can't make butter from pond water......just hope the best team doesn't win.
yeah i remember the UGA game. UGA's D last year was probably a good bit better than our D this year but our O this year is WAY WAY better than Georgia's O last year.

GuessJ

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 11, 2018

No they aren't. This game, on paper, appears to be one in which Murray's A game can keep it within reach into the 4th Quarter as Oklahoma places all their talent on one side of the ball and literally relies on the passing game to keep it "0-0" throughout.. until the opponent misteps and then they can gain some ground and spread that score a little. AKA: Having a weak defense. Murray is EXPECTING to come into this game and having to score every drive.. it's all he's ever known at OU.

So it comes down to the Bama defense in this one. The Bama defense has to have a plan to corral Murray, not give him too much time, bait him into a few turnovers, stick to their receivers like glue, and our linebackers have to play their best coverage game to date (or stop wasting time with that and come in with pressure).

Of course - the Bama offense has to quite literally aim to score every possession (whether that is quickly or slowly will be shaped by how the game is going). Good news is the Bama run game 'could' theoretically score on long'ish punishing drives with little passing. With Tua in the game I'm not inclined to believe our passing attack will be overly limited despite what some analysts say but it is critical our QB(s) don't make mistakes/ill advised throws and take what the defense gives them -- and this defense WILL be giving some windows/lanes up.

I'd love to know what Saban .. the defensive Guru.. has come up with as his 'master plan' to best limit and exploit this Oklahoma offense via the Alabama defense. More pressure than normal? More coverage than normal with a spy? How about great coverage with 4 or 5 coming in on Murray? It's key our defense peels through the Oline in the middle and edges,.. and does NOT miss tackles or let Kyler elude them.

Lastly, every defensive stop this Bama defense manages to get needs to be treated like gold and the offense needs to be very focused on putting points on the board when a possession is stolen.

Ideally this Bama defense plays UP from snap 1.. and absolutely Suffocates this OU offense.. gets Murray off rhythm, lowers his confidence, and just doesn't really let OU get momentum going <-- That's the ideal scenario. The offense will feed off the defense (and vice versa).

This is where Tua not winning the Heisman CAN have an effect.

This Alabama team doesn't need any external motivation to be 'up' for a playoff semifinal but it's unquestionable this team uses the FEW motivating factors they can find to put them on another level. We've seen it every single year. Saban will use anything he can find to get his players feeling like they have been slighted and ultimately motivated to PROVE something -- sort of stretching the narrative.

This is why Saban loves any negative press he can find.. it's not that difficult to develop the players physically,.. it's even fairly routine to develop them to the X's and O's of the game -- But getting a team of players in the perfect mindset to play their best is probably the most challenging part of coaching... and Bama has come out flat the last 3 games. Worn out mentally from the season? Perhaps... but this is one game Bama can't afford to be lethargic in the first QTR to half.. which could very well give Oklahoma a lead that might be tough to close.

Lastly - This will be an epic matchup no doubt: With The heisman winner Kyler Murray (and his team) facing off against Tua Tagovailoa (2nd place runner up) and the Crimson Tide -- Winner moving on to the NC against (let's be honest) Clemson.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.