Lewis Rehab Update?

pop11011

Scout Team
Jul 6, 2007
Any word on Lewis? #24 could make a huge impact on containing Murray if he is full speed.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
You aren’t going to know anything till/if he walks on the field. I’m sure Coach is going to keep any possibility of him walking on the field a complete secret. No need to tip your hand to the competition.
Remember, he’s football rusty. Going to take a lot of reps to get what he had back and be able to play confidently on the knee, IF he were to play.

GuessJ

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 11, 2018
I just don't see Lewis jumping in the playoffs. He needs time in games where the game is in control and he can rotate in to get his 'game feel' back, build his confidence, and see if he's truly back to being 100% effective.

I don't think Saban will slap him in a playoff game as a bit of an experiment honestly... At best we'd see him in situationally but , again, even that I think is a bit risky and a bit late.

If we were to see Lewis -- I would have expected him in at LEAST the Auburn game to get some game reps going.. then a bit in SECCG.. and he'd be on much better footing for the Oklahoma game.

I thought we'd definitely see lewis redshirt this year and play the last ~4 games but now that Bama has max 2 more games I don't feel that way anymore. I think Lewis has made the decision to hold off till next year .. make a solid run as one of the veteran LBers and pray he doesn't suffer anymore injury before going to the NFL.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I just don't see Lewis jumping in the playoffs. He needs time in games where the game is in control and he can rotate in to get his 'game feel' back, build his confidence, and see if he's truly back to being 100% effective.

I don't think Saban will slap him in a playoff game as a bit of an experiment honestly... At best we'd see him in situationally but , again, even that I think is a bit risky and a bit late.

If we were to see Lewis -- I would have expected him in at LEAST the Auburn game to get some game reps going.. then a bit in SECCG.. and he'd be on much better footing for the Oklahoma game.

I thought we'd definitely see lewis redshirt this year and play the last ~4 games but now that Bama has max 2 more games I don't feel that way anymore. I think Lewis has made the decision to hold off till next year .. make a solid run as one of the veteran LBers and pray he doesn't suffer anymore injury before going to the NFL.
I know he took a few snaps in 17 against AU, but seeing how he exploded with production against Clemson and UGA, having almost no game reps since FSU, I think if he is healthy, he plays and plays a good bit, especially in obvious pass rush situations, and even against the run. Our defense has historically been known to set a vicious edge, but it hasn't been nearly as good this year so if he could help with that, we'd take it.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
You can’t take the injury last year to his elbow into account when discussing this year’s knee injury. Totally different situation to deal with. The explosiveness may no longer be there that made him what he was as an edge rusher. The speed with which he played may be gone. Look at Eddie Jackson, once he hurt his knee he could no longer get everything back speed wise to be an effective corner. Coaches moved him to Safety and pushed him and it turned into a blessing for him.
I honestly think everyone needs to sit back and take a wait and see approach. The coaches and doctors will do what’s best for Lewis and the team. Fans are just going to get worked into a lather and play the coulda/woulda/shoulda game and get tore up if he don’t play and they think, in their minds, that he could have affected a game.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
You can’t take the injury last year to his elbow into account when discussing this year’s knee injury. Totally different situation to deal with. The explosiveness may no longer be there that made him what he was as an edge rusher. The speed with which he played may be gone. Look at Eddie Jackson, once he hurt his knee he could no longer get everything back speed wise to be an effective corner. Coaches moved him to Safety and pushed him and it turned into a blessing for him.
I honestly think everyone needs to sit back and take a wait and see approach. The coaches and doctors will do what’s best for Lewis and the team. Fans are just going to get worked into a lather and play the coulda/woulda/shoulda game and get tore up if he don’t play and they think, in their minds, that he could have affected a game.
uh - the year after he hurt his knee, Eddie came back to start at corner in a bunch of games. The coaches tried Sylve, Tony Brown, mo Smith and others, but Eddie started the second game, then missed a couple with a injury, then started the last 9 games of the year. He was solid in coverage, to the point that Cyrus was actually targeted more than he was. His production was really good - better than Jones in a per game analysis other than on INTs.

Eddie moved to safety due to a perfect storm of marlon Humphrey being ready in his second year, and then Minkah being Minkah, plus the coaches seeing EJ had the football IQ to be able to make the move over. Him being so versatile let us get our best 4 on the field in base, and 5 on the field in nickel.

That said - I agree that the coaches and Drs will do what's best for Lewis - if he is not ready, he won't play. My only point is that if he is actually deemed ready by the staff, the fact that he was not yet ready against Auburn likely wouldn't be a factor in him playing against OK.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There was discussion that Lewis practiced the two weeks prior to the Auburn game. He would just wait until the media left before getting on the field.

He wasn't wearing a brace during warmups for the SECCG. He went through the walk-through on Friday in cleats.

There's no way the staff allows him to do all of that if he's not going to give it a go in the playoffs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Watching the film, he seems to be doing everything in practice, but he does seem to be favoring the leg. It could be the huge brace making it look that way, though.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
I want Mac Jones to get reps - after Tua scores 40, then Jalen scores 20. :biggrin2:
1st Qtr: Tau 15/17, 246yds 4 TDs
2nd Qtr: Jalen, 12/14 168yds 3 TDs
3rd Qtr: Mac Jones, 8/13, 156yds, 2 TDs
4th Qtr: Paul Tyson, 7/9, 148 yds, 3 TDs

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
1st Qtr: Tau 15/17, 246yds 4 TDs
2nd Qtr: Jalen, 12/14 168yds 3 TDs
3rd Qtr: Mac Jones, 8/13, 156yds, 2 TDs
4th Qtr: Paul Tyson, 7/9, 148 yds, 3 TDs
Love it! Tyson can't play, but Braxton Barker (Jay's son) can.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.