The Mental Gymnastics of Pro-Trump Evangelicals

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The one who think it means the church of Rome are probably the most ignorant 5%, and they buy into everything else Trump says. MY SIL is a fervent Trump supporter and retired from the Billy Graham Campaign. She uses the rationale that many of them do - the Lord can work through and evil man. A lot of them also compare him to King David, with his many sins...
With the paranoia and temper tantrums, I would go with King Saul not King David [emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
With the paranoia and temper tantrums, I would go with King Saul not King David [emoji23].

He probably dreams of a Solomon-like harem. But without the wisdom.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Many (if not all) evangelicals) believe in “The Rapture”.
I’m waiting for one of them to show me where this is even hinted at anywhere in the Bible; it’s just another fantasy created by modern - day Americans to bastardize a religion to suit their own material needs.

https://qz.com/1122117/what-does-it...w-the-right-wing-hijacked-christian-identity/

https://request.org.uk/jesus/teaching/love/

Also, there is a belief among some that we don’t have to love everybody, only those who “look” like us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I’m waiting for one of them to show me where this is even hinted at anywhere in the Bible; it’s just another fantasy created by modern - day Americans to bastardize a religion to suit their own material needs.

https://qz.com/1122117/what-does-it...w-the-right-wing-hijacked-christian-identity/

https://request.org.uk/jesus/teaching/love/

Also, there is a belief among some that we don’t have to love everybody, only those who “look” like us.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/1-thessalonians/passage/?q=1-thessalonians+4:13-18

https://www.biblestudytools.com/1-corinthians/passage/?q=1-corinthians+15:52-58

The there's Matthew 24 and other passages that can be interpreted as supporting the idea.

Of course, you'll never find rapture as such in the Bible just like you'll never find trinity there.

There are pre-, mid-, and post- tribbers as concerns the rapture.

The idea of the rapture in no way does anything to "suit...material needs". For many, if not most, it does just the opposite - at least those I know and how I was taught.

Please note that I am not endorsing any one interpretation of the Bible or even that any of them are "true". It's quite obvious that a number of people see it different ways. That tells me there is enough ambiguity present that those indoctrinated to believe a certain way will either continue to believe that way or eventually question it enough to come to a different conclusion if they so desire but will either find evidence or a lack of it from the same scriptures.

That doesn't make them necessarily stupid or selfish or any other pejorative you spew. It simply means they see things differently than you. I can't say why that bothers you so much, but that's your problem to solve.

I, too, have a problem with someone that lacks love claiming to call themself christian. Apparently, some think you have to look like them and others think you have to think like them. They would both be wrong, based on my understanding.

I don't much care for those who use religion as a means to an end, especially in support of evil and/or selfish actions.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
In my opinion the evangelical movement has been taken over by people who don't seem to honor the tenants of the religion they claim to follow. The wholesale whitewashing of anything Trump does is a prime example.

Today, I saw a story about Rev. Falwell Jr. and how he and his wife had befriended a 21 year old male they met when he was working as a pool boy. The details are about what we've gotten used to out of this bunch.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
He’s not a Christian; just another charlatan.
Then again, regardless of what they say, no Trumper is a true Christian. Trump, by word and deed, does nothing Christ taught his followers to do; not one single solitary thing.
Everything he does say and do, however, is the exact opposite of what Christ taught his followers to do; so proclaiming to be a Christian AND a Trump supporter is simply a contradiction in terms. One cannot be both at the same time, no matter what one might want.

Only the Lord knows who is saved and who is not. You might want to rethink passing judgement on that

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
In my opinion the evangelical movement has been taken over by people who don't seem to honor the tenants of the religion they claim to follow. The wholesale whitewashing of anything Trump does is a prime example.

Today, I saw a story about Rev. Falwell Jr. and how he and his wife had befriended a 21 year old male they met when he was working as a pool boy. The details are about what we've gotten used to out of this bunch.
Chukker, I dare say it now, because I was made unpopular in these parts (during my last tenure on Non-Sports) for continuing to mock what we called "Republican Jesus" theology.

I think I can bring it up here without facing Eternal Bannination agaub because. I......what? ZZZZZZTTTTTTTT!!!!! :)

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
If you are a Christian, then bama_wayne1 is correct, no mental gymnastics required. So there Matt!!:tongue: .
Not a Christian, but The Lord, everyone and everything on the planet, and everyone in the universe knows that someone like Trump isn't saved. No mysterious ways required.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Not a Christian, but The Lord, everyone and everything on the planet, and everyone in the universe knows that someone like Trump isn't saved. No mysterious ways required.
Can he be saved in the future or is it too late? Why are you even worrying about whether or not people are saved? I await the uncivil snark.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I've thought for awhile now that he is our King Saul... not really what we needed, but what we kept asking for.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

this crap started back in the 70's. trump is just an inevitable outcome.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It seems counterproductive for someone who wants to keep religion out of politics to bring politics into religion.

As for christian who support Trump on supposed theological grounds, it does take mental gymnastics. Just admit it doesn't matter and be done with it. No need to wrestle an angel over it.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Can he be saved in the future or is it too late? Why are you even worrying about whether or not people are saved? I await the uncivil snark.
I don't recall ever responding to you with uncivil snark. Not sure where that came from. I've used plenty of civil, jokey snark with you because I like you.

I'm not worried about whether or not people are saved. I didn't bring up him being saved first, I just pointed out that there is around zero percent chance of him being saved. No matter how someone imagines the lord decides it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah, I don’t understand “Christians” who never bothered to learn what “catholic” means.
But by all means, keep defending the ignorant if it makes you feel better.

This is the very definition of "irony."

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I grew up a Methodist, although I don't consider myself one now.

Here's what precipitated the break for me:

The Methodist church will not let gays or lesbians be members of the clergy, they are considered second class members. They evidently leave it up to a popular vote every four years. I've had it explained that after the evangelical outreach in Africa, where pseudo Christians (self-proclaimed evangelicals) took it upon themselves to demonize homosexuality, the Methodists in Africa have voted overwhelmingly to keep gays out of the clergy ever since. The Methodist book of rules also says homosexuality is incompatible with Christianity, as if you can be one or the other, but not both.

The guy who writes for AL. Com, John Archibald, grew up in Decatur, his father was my Methodist minister. His brother, who was in my class all the way through high school, is openly homosexual.

So we get to the gay marriage debate. Rev. Archibald would be in jeopardy of being kicked out of the clergy if he conducted a same sex marriage for his son. A Methodist minister from up north somewhere married his son and his spouse, the church took him to trial to defrock him.

Meanwhile, another Methodist minister, Terry Greer, who used to preach at the same church went nuts, shot and killed his wife, and tried to kill his daughter. Five years later, he's out of the nut house, ready to rejoin society. He was never defrocked and had been preaching to the others at the facility the whole time.

So that left me wondering, if the minister who conducted a same sex marriage for his son was taken to church court to defrock him...would the church have been more understanding, and not tried to defrock him if he had simply shot his son instead of helping him marry?

And conversely, would the preacher who murdered his wife and was not defrocked...would he have been defrocked if he had committed the grave sin of conducting a same sex marriage when he was under detention?

I credit the modern day version of evangelicals for this gross set of priorities.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.