The Mental Gymnastics of Pro-Trump Evangelicals - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: The Mental Gymnastics of Pro-Trump Evangelicals

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    that sounds like a nice beginning for a creed of some sorts.
    ...or a Dr. Seuss rhyme....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    That’s because most evangelicals are either too stupid to use a dictionary or are so evil reciting the creed might cause them to spontaneously combust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Or it could be that you don't understand them. But, by all means, if it makes you feel superior...

I just realized that this is part of the Nicene Creed, which is generally accepted as far as I know but not generally recited.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

In my youth, I went to the Methodist Church. The Creed was recited frequently. I later went to the Church of Christ, no creeds what so ever.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The Mental Gymnastics of Pro-Trump Evangelicals

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Or it could be that you don't understand them. But, by all means, if it makes you feel superior...

I just realized that this is part of the Nicene Creed, which is generally accepted as far as I know but not generally recited.
    Yeah, I don’t understand “Christians” who never bothered to learn what “catholic” means.
    But by all means, keep defending the ignorant if it makes you feel better.

The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Yeah, I don’t understand “Christians” who never bothered to learn what “catholic” means.
    But by all means, keep defending the ignorant if it makes you feel better.

You miss the point. It isn't studied by them because it's not important to them.

So it's important to you. I'm sure you're a better christian for it, as can be seen by your attitude.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

I know lots of Christians who likely don't know the creed - not because they're stupid, ignorant, evil, (or however one wishes to attack others), but because creeds have no value to them. And a lot of them didn't and wouldn't ever vote for Trump.

Some of the blind hatred being posted here is eye opening.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    The “catholic” in the Creed isn’t talking about the Catholic Church of Rome.

http://www.umc.org/what-we-believe/w...apostles-creed

A better way of stating this would be- If you’re not from an ecumenical background then you most likely are not familiar with the AC nor do you care about its tenets. Most denominations in the Bible Belt would fit this bill.

You are right on the meaning of catholic which means in this context “universal” not the RCC.

Last edited by rolltide_21; December 10th, 2018 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    The one who think it means the church of Rome are probably the most ignorant 5%, and they buy into everything else Trump says. MY SIL is a fervent Trump supporter and retired from the Billy Graham Campaign. She uses the rationale that many of them do - the Lord can work through and evil man. A lot of them also compare him to King David, with his many sins...
    With the paranoia and temper tantrums, I would go with King Saul not King David .

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide_21 View Post
    With the paranoia and temper tantrums, I would go with King Saul not King David .

He probably dreams of a Solomon-like harem. But without the wisdom.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Deleted

Last edited by twofbyc; December 10th, 2018 at 05:32 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Many (if not all) evangelicals) believe in “The Rapture”.
    I’m waiting for one of them to show me where this is even hinted at anywhere in the Bible; it’s just another fantasy created by modern - day Americans to bastardize a religion to suit their own material needs.

https://qz.com/1122117/what-does-it-...tian-identity/

https://request.org.uk/jesus/teaching/love/

Also, there is a belief among some that we don’t have to love everybody, only those who “look” like us.

Many (if not all) evangelicals) believe in “The Rapture”.
    I’m waiting for one of them to show me where this is even hinted at anywhere in the Bible; it’s just another fantasy created by modern - day Americans to bastardize a religion to suit their own material needs.

https://qz.com/1122117/what-does-it-...tian-identity/

https://request.org.uk/jesus/teaching/love/

Also, there is a belief among some that we don’t have to love everybody, only those who “look” like us.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/1-th...onians+4:13-18

https://www.biblestudytools.com/1-co...hians+15:52-58

The there's Matthew 24 and other passages that can be interpreted as supporting the idea.

Of course, you'll never find rapture as such in the Bible just like you'll never find trinity there.

There are pre-, mid-, and post- tribbers as concerns the rapture.

The idea of the rapture in no way does anything to "suit...material needs". For many, if not most, it does just the opposite - at least those I know and how I was taught.

Please note that I am not endorsing any one interpretation of the Bible or even that any of them are "true". It's quite obvious that a number of people see it different ways. That tells me there is enough ambiguity present that those indoctrinated to believe a certain way will either continue to believe that way or eventually question it enough to come to a different conclusion if they so desire but will either find evidence or a lack of it from the same scriptures.

That doesn't make them necessarily stupid or selfish or any other pejorative you spew. It simply means they see things differently than you. I can't say why that bothers you so much, but that's your problem to solve.

I, too, have a problem with someone that lacks love claiming to call themself christian. Apparently, some think you have to look like them and others think you have to think like them. They would both be wrong, based on my understanding.

I don't much care for those who use religion as a means to an end, especially in support of evil and/or selfish actions.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

I can't be anywhere near a place where Creed is recited.

Let alone Nickelback.