The Mental Gymnastics of Pro-Trump Evangelicals

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I gotta admit, some of these people are almost more annoying than Trump himself. Take this guy:

The Apostle’s Creed is ‘not a Christian thing’

As you might have heared, there was some kerfluffle about Trump not reciting the Creed at GHWBs funeral. In and of itself, totally understandable that Trump isn't going to recite a creed that professes belief in anything other than Trump. It's just not that big a deal.

But then the defenders spring into action, such as this guy.

Enter Jesse Lee Peterson, a far-right radio host and Christian pastor, who already has a defense for Trump’s seemingly un-Christian characteristics. According to Peterson, the Creed is a “phony act” that is not a “Christian thing to be reciting.”

[a few paragraphs later]

“I’ve got to admit, this is the first time I’ve ever hear of the Apostle’s Creed,” Peterson said in a video clip flagged by Right Wing Watch. “This is another reason why I say Christianity is fake now. It’s all intellectual. It’s not from the heart any more.”
So we have a Christian pastor who has never heard of the Apostles's creed, and upon seeing it for the first time, says that it's not a Christian "thing".

SMH

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
He’s not a Christian; just another charlatan.
Then again, regardless of what they say, no Trumper is a true Christian. Trump, by word and deed, does nothing Christ taught his followers to do; not one single solitary thing.
Everything he does say and do, however, is the exact opposite of what Christ taught his followers to do; so proclaiming to be a Christian AND a Trump supporter is simply a contradiction in terms. One cannot be both at the same time, no matter what one might want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I gotta admit, some of these people are almost more annoying than Trump himself. Take this guy:

As you might have heared, there was some kerfluffle about Trump not reciting the Creed at GHWBs funeral. In and of itself, totally understandable that Trump isn't going to recite a creed that professes belief in anything other than Trump. It's just not that big a deal.

So we have a Christian pastor who has never heard of the Apostles's creed, and upon seeing it for the first time, says that it's not a Christian "thing".

SMH

i think you meant "christian"

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

SMH
Many denominations do not recite or care about the Apostle's Creed (I believe in the holy catholic church? - many consider that not even a church). These are also those most supportive of Trump.

IOW, they won't care and shouldn't.

Now, as for how his behavior doesn't align at all with their beliefs on behavior and how they make excuses for that - that's another story.

But this is akin to being surprised that Muslims don't know or care about the creed.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Many denominations do not recite or care about the Apostle's Creed (I believe in the holy catholic church? - many consider that not even a church). These are also those most supportive of Trump.

IOW, they won't care and shouldn't.

Now, as for how his behavior doesn't align at all with their beliefs on behavior and how they make excuses for that - that's another story.

But this is akin to being surprised that Muslims don't know or care about the creed.
The “catholic” in the Creed isn’t talking about the Catholic Church of Rome.

http://www.umc.org/what-we-believe/...he-holy-catholic-church-in-the-apostles-creed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

SMH
Doesn't sound like Jesse Lee's cord reaches the outlet.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not how most evangelicals take it. Aside from that, evangelicals don't get too much into rituals and incantations. It's just not something they do so in no way will they care.
The one who think it means the church of Rome are probably the most ignorant 5%, and they buy into everything else Trump says. MY SIL is a fervent Trump supporter and retired from the Billy Graham Campaign. She uses the rationale that many of them do - the Lord can work through and evil man. A lot of them also compare him to King David, with his many sins...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Not how most evangelicals take it. Aside from that, evangelicals don't get too much into rituals and incantations. It's just not something they do so in no way will they care.
That’s because most evangelicals are either too stupid to use a dictionary or are so evil reciting the creed might cause them to spontaneously combust.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
The one who think it means the church of Rome are probably the most ignorant 5%, and they buy into everything else Trump says. MY SIL is a fervent Trump supporter and retired from the Billy Graham Campaign. She uses the rationale that many of them do - the Lord can work through and evil man. A lot of them also compare him to King David, with his many sins...
I've seen a lot of your last two statement. I like to remind them that David repented (definition is needed at times) and still paid a heavy price.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
That’s because most evangelicals are either too stupid to use a dictionary or are so evil reciting the creed might cause them to spontaneously combust.

Or it could be that you don't understand them. But, by all means, if it makes you feel superior...

I just realized that this is part of the Nicene Creed, which is generally accepted as far as I know but not generally recited.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
In my youth, I went to the Methodist Church. The Creed was recited frequently. I later went to the Church of Christ, no creeds what so ever.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Or it could be that you don't understand them. But, by all means, if it makes you feel superior...

I just realized that this is part of the Nicene Creed, which is generally accepted as far as I know but not generally recited.
Yeah, I don’t understand “Christians” who never bothered to learn what “catholic” means.
But by all means, keep defending the ignorant if it makes you feel better.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Yeah, I don’t understand “Christians” who never bothered to learn what “catholic” means.
But by all means, keep defending the ignorant if it makes you feel better.

You miss the point. It isn't studied by them because it's not important to them.

So it's important to you. I'm sure you're a better christian for it, as can be seen by your attitude.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I know lots of Christians who likely don't know the creed - not because they're stupid, ignorant, evil, (or however one wishes to attack others), but because creeds have no value to them. And a lot of them didn't and wouldn't ever vote for Trump.

Some of the blind hatred being posted here is eye opening.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The “catholic” in the Creed isn’t talking about the Catholic Church of Rome.

http://www.umc.org/what-we-believe/...he-holy-catholic-church-in-the-apostles-creed

A better way of stating this would be- If you’re not from an ecumenical background then you most likely are not familiar with the AC nor do you care about its tenets. Most denominations in the Bible Belt would fit this bill.

You are right on the meaning of catholic which means in this context “universal” not the RCC.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.