The Mental Gymnastics of Pro-Trump Evangelicals
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

The Mental Gymnastics of Pro-Trump Evangelicals

I gotta admit, some of these people are almost more annoying than Trump himself. Take this guy:

The Apostle’s Creed is ‘not a Christian thing’

As you might have heared, there was some kerfluffle about Trump not reciting the Creed at GHWBs funeral. In and of itself, totally understandable that Trump isn't going to recite a creed that professes belief in anything other than Trump. It's just not that big a deal.

But then the defenders spring into action, such as this guy.

Enter Jesse Lee Peterson, a far-right radio host and Christian pastor, who already has a defense for Trump’s seemingly un-Christian characteristics. According to Peterson, the Creed is a “phony act” that is not a “Christian thing to be reciting.”

[a few paragraphs later]

“I’ve got to admit, this is the first time I’ve ever hear of the Apostle’s Creed,” Peterson said in a video clip flagged by Right Wing Watch. “This is another reason why I say Christianity is fake now. It’s all intellectual. It’s not from the heart any more.”
    So we have a Christian pastor who has never heard of the Apostles's creed, and upon seeing it for the first time, says that it's not a Christian "thing".

SMH
    This is the darkest timeline.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: The Mental Gymnastics of Pro-Trump Evangelicals

He’s not a Christian; just another charlatan.
    Then again, regardless of what they say, no Trumper is a true Christian. Trump, by word and deed, does nothing Christ taught his followers to do; not one single solitary thing.
    Everything he does say and do, however, is the exact opposite of what Christ taught his followers to do; so proclaiming to be a Christian AND a Trump supporter is simply a contradiction in terms. One cannot be both at the same time, no matter what one might want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    I gotta admit, some of these people are almost more annoying than Trump himself. Take this guy:

As you might have heared, there was some kerfluffle about Trump not reciting the Creed at GHWBs funeral. In and of itself, totally understandable that Trump isn't going to recite a creed that professes belief in anything other than Trump. It's just not that big a deal.

So we have a Christian pastor who has never heard of the Apostles's creed, and upon seeing it for the first time, says that it's not a Christian "thing".

SMH

i think you meant "christian"
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

this topic makes me think of this

"There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

SMH
    Many denominations do not recite or care about the Apostle's Creed (I believe in the holy catholic church? - many consider that not even a church). These are also those most supportive of Trump.

IOW, they won't care and shouldn't.

Now, as for how his behavior doesn't align at all with their beliefs on behavior and how they make excuses for that - that's another story.

But this is akin to being surprised that Muslims don't know or care about the creed.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Many denominations do not recite or care about the Apostle's Creed (I believe in the holy catholic church? - many consider that not even a church). These are also those most supportive of Trump.

IOW, they won't care and shouldn't.

Now, as for how his behavior doesn't align at all with their beliefs on behavior and how they make excuses for that - that's another story.

But this is akin to being surprised that Muslims don't know or care about the creed.
    The “catholic” in the Creed isn’t talking about the Catholic Church of Rome.

http://www.umc.org/what-we-believe/w...apostles-creed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    The “catholic” in the Creed isn’t talking about the Catholic Church of Rome.

http://www.umc.org/what-we-believe/w...apostles-creed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not how most evangelicals take it. Aside from that, evangelicals don't get too much into rituals and incantations. It's just not something they do so in no way will they care.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

I do not like Donald Trump.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

SMH
    Doesn't sound like Jesse Lee's cord reaches the outlet.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I do not like Donald Trump.
    that sounds like a nice beginning for a creed of some sorts.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Not how most evangelicals take it. Aside from that, evangelicals don't get too much into rituals and incantations. It's just not something they do so in no way will they care.
    The one who think it means the church of Rome are probably the most ignorant 5%, and they buy into everything else Trump says. MY SIL is a fervent Trump supporter and retired from the Billy Graham Campaign. She uses the rationale that many of them do - the Lord can work through and evil man. A lot of them also compare him to King David, with his many sins...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame

That’s because most evangelicals are either too stupid to use a dictionary or are so evil reciting the creed might cause them to spontaneously combust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    The one who think it means the church of Rome are probably the most ignorant 5%, and they buy into everything else Trump says. MY SIL is a fervent Trump supporter and retired from the Billy Graham Campaign. She uses the rationale that many of them do - the Lord can work through and evil man. A lot of them also compare him to King David, with his many sins...
    I've seen a lot of your last two statement. I like to remind them that David repented (definition is needed at times) and still paid a heavy price.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!