Game Thread: Arizona @ Alabama (noon tip)

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We won, but we still are having issues with Petty and Jones. Jones has been just horrible the last 3 games. 2-10 on free throws. Petty is only slighly better. We need to get them both contributing or it could be a long year. If we can be more balanced, we can win a bunch of games and get to the big dance.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Big win against a nationally known opponent.
Avery has got to teach/instill into these guys the will to play a full game with consistency and not let up when you have a lead. You absolutely cannot relax and let a team back into a game like this.
When a man is down you gotta kick him until he absolutely has no will to get back up.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Missed 12 free throws after missing 13 or so against Georgia State. Why do people not understand that you win and lose games at the line, especially home games. And I really don't understand how Petty and Jones can have this little of an impact?

If we were 8-1 right now I would think we'd have a shot at the Tournament this year, but at 6-3 with the losses we have?

Rtr

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Recorded the game and watched.

Petty with 4 points; Ingram 2; Jones 0 Yet Bama won the game. I don't know what to make of that?

Petty's shooting has been off lately but I think he showed more effort throughout this game and has significantly improved the rest of his game. I am starting to feel a little better about his play.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Nice win! They played with more effort which made all the difference. Some of the same problems still exist but effort goes a long way to cover up some of the problems. I noticed that Norris and Giddens didn't play. This makes at least 3 games in a row that Giddens hasn't even taken off his warmup shirt, any idea if he is injured or is he in the doghouse again?

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
Was at the game yesterday and had a blast. Really nice to see us bounce back when going down in the 2nd half against a good team. You could sense a little tension in the crowd once Arizona made their early run to take the lead, but we were able to find some baskets when we really needed them. A few takeaways from me:

Free throw shooting is still concerning and almost cost us
Reese was great- need him to play at that high a level consistently
Herbert Jones is in a funk in the worst way. He looks lost out there at times and his shooting is atrocious. Get the hair back and maybe the swag and confidence will return? Feels like Samson in a way.
CAJ found a nice mix of lineups on the floor that gave us a spark
Petty, while struggling with his shot is still a factor with his rebounding and playing much better defense. Really good to see him excited for the team and others when he isn't having his best day.
Dazon is still a head scratcher. My brother and I were talking on the way home while listening to post game and honestly hadn't realized he didn't come back in the 2nd half

RTR- can't wait for the game in HSV next Tuesday. Great to get the win prior to the long break.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
Nice win! They played with more effort which made all the difference. Some of the same problems still exist but effort goes a long way to cover up some of the problems. I noticed that Norris and Giddens didn't play. This makes at least 3 games in a row that Giddens hasn't even taken off his warmup shirt, any idea if he is injured or is he in the doghouse again?
Not sure on Giddens. I don't think he's injured based on watching warm-ups but that doesn't mean much. I did find it interesting that while the post players were working on inside drills (post moves, free throw line jumpers) he was out on the wing firing up 3's with the guards. I had high hopes for him but he just doesn't seem to fit with the plans for whatever reason.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Only saw the second half. I'm baffled at the rotations and just don't understand how Jones has regressed so much.

I'm actually shocked we won the game based on the way we played the last 10 minutes or so.

What I'm seeing is Kira Lewis Jr. is the best player and it's not even close. He's the most consistent shooter we've got for sure. If he has a bad night, we probably get beat by 20 against just about anybody.

Also, compliments for our scrappiness. At leats we played pretty hard, but we are never going to be an above average team until we figure out who (if we've got anybody) can score and let them get more minutes.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Isn’t this par for the course so far in Johnson’s tenure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty much ... to be fair though, CAJ can't control shooting results, intensity, ect. He is responsible for calling plays to help produce results to help get the team out of shooting slumps though.

Good win for the good guys tho. Hope they can get in a good rhythm as a team and keep it up. I just want them to play to their potential game in and game out

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
"Petty, while struggling with his shot is still a factor with his rebounding and playing much better defense" Agree with this. I thought he played harder in this game than all season, and was a factor all over the court despite his shot not falling.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Pretty much ... to be fair though, CAJ can't control shooting results, intensity, ect. He is responsible for calling plays to help produce results to help get the team out of shooting slumps though.

Good win for the good guys tho. Hope they can get in a good rhythm as a team and keep it up. I just want them to play to their potential game in and game out
If not him, who? If he can't motivate a bunch of teenagers.....then who can? Coach Saban/Coach Cochran can motivate 85 -- Avery can't reach 13?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.