Alabama: Tide vs Sooners: X's and O's and Jimmies and Joes

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
They'll also want to disrupt Tua's passing. I feel like our receivers will beat their DB's. And double teaming isn't really an option, with our group of receivers. So I expect blitzes and rushing 6 or 7 often. We should at least be prepared for it. Tua may not get many downfield opportunities.
Ga is one of the best defenses in the country unlike Oklahoma and they had a perfect plan against Tua that had him confused and pressured on every play. Oklahoma would obviously learn as much as they can on the Georgia defensive scheme. Interesting that when Jalen was able to escape the pocket he began to stress the defense.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
For all the maligning of the Sooner, D, those guys played much better against Tejas last time. Not world beater, but decent.
With a month to prepare, I expect the Sooner D to be better than their stats would indicate.
Agreed! It is always important to not underestimate an opponent particularly one that has played offenses that spread the field and threw fifty times or more.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
As Jessica stated, I don't know much about football either. Most of what I know I've learned by hanging out in this forum. I do enjoy watching Bama play. A LOT. Nothing like it, and I watch every play. I think the defense is extremely motivated now particularly by the Heisman results. The OLine, too. They know they have to protect Tua to let him shine in this game. They will be ready. I don't think we come out flat in this game. If we can run on OU from the way most of you talk, this should be over pretty quickly, provided we run the clock to our advantage. I do share the concerns about MW and how some of you have mentioned the linebackers are out of position, etc. I hope Saban addresses that. I've enjoyed learning more about the game from you all. I look forward to the game and watching our guys bust some heads.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sorry, meant tempo, as in HUNH type stuff. They really don't do that. They are a very methodical offense. They just execute at a high level (like Alabama).
Yah, Bama does run hurry up some - I've not seen OU do that at all this year.

Also, many Bama fans seem to think this is some sort of west-coast pass-happy offense - it's actually a power run game base that opens up the pass. That OL is no joke and they WILL get yards and points on Bama.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Oklahoma's O-line has done a tremendous job this year giving Murray extended time to find targets. If Bama's D-line can press the pocket especially up the middle and impact Murray's field of vision it will be a big plus. Murray is listed at 5'10 and that is very generous. Blitzes must be measured and properly timed while maintaining rush lanes or Murray will take advantage and readily looks to do damage with his feet. Oklahoma will feast off throwing to the backs coming out of the backfield if Bama's uses the same scheme employed against GA. I have read much dissatisfaction around Bama's ILB play especially defending the pass and it is merited. IMO what is missing is the extremely well versed LB leader such as McLain, Mosley, Hamilton, Foster. Wilson is a very talented LB but isn't as talented as the before mentioned group to be able to recognize formations and make adjustments. Because of this weakness Bama must go basic at times to get everyone on the same page. I personally have not seen Coach Lopoi make very good on the fly adjustments but halftime discussions/adjustments have been excellent. To that end if Oklahoma gets Bama on their heels in the first half it could be ugly. I expect Bama's defense to give up some big plays but realistically if Oklahoma can be forced to punt 5 times it will be a three score win for the good guys.

Offensively Bama should have success but a balanced attack would produce points but also win the time of possession battle to minimize Oklahoma's opportunities. I expect Bama's backs to have a good day running the ball which will allow over the top throws.
Spot on analysis of our LB situation and who makes the reads imo and a tendency that I fear very much that Riley and Co will try to exploit big time.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Since their stats suggest that they will not be able to stop Alabama once, that is not a very bold statement. :biggrin:
Okay, not bold of a prediction.

The last team I heard Bama fans bad-mouthing this much before a bowl game was because they were starting their third string QB. No way that team could win, right?

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I think we all know that OU can win this game. Of that there is no doubt.
I do question them due to the conference they play in.
I do think we can run the ball on them. I think Josh Jacobs should be the lead character in that play. He is just awesome and him being from Oklahoma and them not really recruiting him till late...…….will give him added motivation...….as if he needs it with the way he runs and catches the ball out of the backfield as is.
I think the key to this game is controlling time of possession and simply not giving them a bunch of opportunities to score.
Tua needs to take the underneath as OU will certainly try to prevent the "homerun" plays. Let your receivers and backs make plays in space. I would also say that JH needs to be involved in the offensive plan as well. He can make plays and OU would likely play him to stop his running.....them likely not being sold on his development as a passer.
Defense needs to play lights out. MW and the LBs need to step it up. IF Lewis is able to play it will be a big boost.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Let's start with our D. We are relatively small and built for the spread O' s we see all the time. We started the year multiple under Mike Stoops but over the last 3rd of the season we have played mostly a 4-2-5, sometimes with a jack-lb and sometimes with 4 with their hands in the dirt. We are very young and we've had an inordinate amount of injuries. We made a major scheme and personnel change in the CCG...went with 3 corners but one at safety and played 3 lb's. I expect we will try and stuff your run and make you beat us passing. If I were to say what our biggest Achilles heal on D is it's our tackling. Its been atrocious. We don't have an Obo or Striker to attack the passer like we have had in recent years. We are fast overall on D but not as physical as we need to be in a game like this. We don't blitz as much as OU fans would like. I'll get back with thoughts on our O.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You guys think that giving them fewer possessions helps you but I disagree. Think about it this way, if each team has 10 possessions, given the teams offenses and the teams defenses, which team is most likely to score more, and how much more?

If you limit their possessions, you also limit your possessions, and you are a far greater threat to score than they are given the strength of your defense vs the weakness of theirs.

The more possessions each team has, the greater Alabama's margin of victory.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I noticed their DBs really seem to shy away from taking on running backs downfield. If we can get our big backs into the secondary, I really like their chances against the Sooner DBs. I think our running game is the key - can they stop it, or slow it down ?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The last team I heard Bama fans bad-mouthing this much before a bowl game was because they were starting their third string QB. No way that team could win, right?
That team had a pretty good defense.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I'm not real concerned with margin of victory. Just VICTORY.
On the flip side of your argument, Big (not calling you out on this as you make a valid point), We limit their possessions (particularly in the first half) and run the ball and wear them down then we can explode in the second half. Plus, I think we will need to give the D a chance to make adjustments in the first half and they can't do that as well if we're scoring really quick.
Just my $.02 worth and I'll now wait on my $.019999 cents change back.....lol

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I noticed their DBs really seem to shy away from taking on running backs downfield. If we can get our big backs into the secondary, I really like their chances against the Sooner DBs. I think our running game is the key - can they stop it, or slow it down ?
Have they seen running backs on par with Damien Harris, Najee and Jacobs this year? I ask this honestly. Not sure who in the Big 12 compares.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

You didn't hear me and a few others who aren't sunshine pumpers do it. I said it going out of the WVU game that unless we develop a pass rush then our success is going to be dictated on Lane Kiffin and Blake Sims's ability to get Cooper the ball because we are going to get torched by great passing offenses. Going into the Ohio St game I was one that said it would be a war decided late.

I think our fans were very hungry for a title after the Kick Six, and made some of the wildest predictions when the truth was right in front of them. The truth being, 1) Kirby didn't have the overwhelming talent and experience needed to look like a great DC 2) We were basically a 1 man show on offense with some very good supporting players and 3) Ohio St was a complete team. This is a totally different opponent going against a totally different Bama team.

Last edited:

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017
Oklahoma is going to move the ball better than anyone has in recent memory. Kyler Murray and this offense is for real. If someone thinks Bama will shut down their offensive attack they will be very disappointed. Giving up yards and even points isn't the end of the world if you win the game. Defensively one of the goals has to be making Oklahoma drive the field and not get quick strikes either from long passes or runs. Not only is Murray a huge run threat but Sermon is a great running back.

Also Bama's offense needs better execution than what they displayed in the SECCG. Tua will have to take what is open which means looking for the backs and hitting open receivers. The receivers can't have the drops they did against GA. Irv Smith should have a big day.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Our O can be described in one word...versatile. we can do multiple things out of our basic set at virtually any down and distance. There's no go to guy. We run as much as we pass. Our backs are great receivers and our TE/H-back is also a great receiver. Then you have the play caller and schemer. L.R. is simply as good as it gets in this area. Something like 29 NFL teams have visited Norman over the past couple of years to study our offense. We are not a NHHU O...we will go fast on occasion but we are normally pretty methodical. Our bread and butter running play is a counter trey with numerous variations off of it. We also run a lot of underneath patterns and crossing patterns. Murray as was Mayfield is great at looking off defenders, keeping his eyes down field and checking down to 3rd and 4th options. Lamb is our best receiver...great hands and route runner but not as fast as Brown. We lost Rodney Anderson early so we've relied on Sermon and Brooks and the latter has emerged as a very good back. He's a glider and very smart. Never takes a big hit and always going foward... faster than he looks. Almost effortless in his style sort if like Emmitt Smith. Murray has a strong arm and a quick release. Not quite as accurate as Mayfield but still accurate. If he pulls it down and takes off all bets are off. Hes a 4 3 runner and very smart as he takes off. He will slide or go out of bounds before taking a hit.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm not overly concerned with the offense as long as we play pretty vanilla and straight up. Don't get cute and hold on to the ball. Where we get in trouble is with 2-3+ turnovers. Limit the turnovers -- and we name our score.

On defense -- I think this is going to come down to Carter and Mayden -- if they can do their part in providing support and covering the 3rd-4th targets, we will be fine. I think we will need DT to assist the LBs in policing the middle of the field.

Still feeling like we get out early and then smother.

Some stat they had last night about how many plays Murray had when trailing......that number blew my mind. We have proven we can get behind and come back. But, we have not even begun to look like a team that can get caught from behind. If we get ahead 2-3 scores -- watch out OU!

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017
Our O can be described in one word...versatile. we can do multiple things out of our basic set at virtually any down and distance. There's no go to guy. We run as much as we pass. Our backs are great receivers and our TE/H-back is also a great receiver. Then you have the play caller and schemer. L.R. is simply as good as it gets in this area. Something like 29 NFL teams have visited Norman over the past couple of years to study our offense. We are not a NHHU O...we will go fast on occasion but we are normally pretty methodical. Our bread and butter running play is a counter trey with numerous variations off of it. We also run a lot of underneath patterns and crossing patterns. Murray as was Mayfield is great at looking off defenders, keeping his eyes down field and checking down to 3rd and 4th options. Lamb is our best receiver...great hands and route runner but not as fast as Brown. We lost Rodney Anderson early so we've relied on Sermon and Brooks and the latter has emerged as a very good back. He's a glider and very smart. Never takes a big hit and always going foward... faster than he looks. Almost effortless in his style sort if like Emmitt Smith. Murray has a strong arm and a quick release. Not quite as accurate as Mayfield but still accurate. If he pulls it down and takes off all bets are off. Hes a 4 3 runner and very smart as he takes off. He will slide or go out of bounds before taking a hit.
Tease (#87) will give Bama fits especially if the LBs are responsible for coverage.....IMO Bama will need to score a minimum of 50

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That team had a pretty good defense.
True, but I think the difference was the attitude of the Bama going into that game. Us fans talk and everybody has an opinion, but if the team takes OU lightly ("They're defense sucks, right?") like the past Bama team took tOSU lightly ("They're starting their 3rd string QB, right? If he was any good, he wouldn't be 3rd string, right?), well, OU is more than capable of beating this Bama team.

And that is not to take anything away from that Buckeye team. They were legit.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
True, but I think the difference was the attitude of the Bama going into that game. Us fans talk and everybody has an opinion, but if the team takes OU lightly ("They're defense sucks, right?") like the past Bama team took tOSU lightly ("They're starting their 3rd string QB, right? If he was any good, he wouldn't be 3rd string, right?), well, OU is more than capable of beating this Bama team.

And that is not to take anything away from that Buckeye team. They were legit.
Let me say this - if the players take OU lightly, not only will they lose, but they will deserve to lose and get no sympathy from me. It would be that monumentally stupid. And that is why they won't, so relax and enjoy the ride. Alabama wins - BIG.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.