Alabama: Tide vs Sooners: X's and O's and Jimmies and Joes

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Let me put it this way - none of your front 7 would start if they were at Georgia. Also, the reason that they could get an effective pass rush on Alabama is because they could effectively play Alabama's receivers man to man. They have the #27 ranked passing efficiency defense even with the weak pass rush. That is all because of their secondary.

So, I guess if you get a career game from your front 7 and, at the same time, get career days from all of your DBs, you could have similar success. But think about this - Alabama still scored 35 on GA, with Tua hurt in the first series, and with Tua throwing 2 picks, and with the receivers who dropped 6 passes all season dropping 4 passes in the first half, all but one of which cost Alabama points.

So, even if you match what GA did, you still need a boatload of luck to keep Alabama below 50 points.
I agree.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ga is one of the best defenses in the country unlike Oklahoma and they had a perfect plan against Tua that had him confused and pressured on every play. Oklahoma would obviously learn as much as they can on the Georgia defensive scheme. Interesting that when Jalen was able to escape the pocket he began to stress the defense.
SIAP, just catching up on this thread. More interesting was that Kirby said in his presser that that was their plan, to flush him from the pocket. (He didn't continue that he killed us from there.) However, Baker said they didn't prepare at all for Jalen, which seems to contradict Kirby...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Really have to believe that LaBryan Ray will be key in this game. He's an excellent athlete for someone as big as he is. I predict he will make a big contribution in the playoff.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
SIAP, just catching up on this thread. More interesting was that Kirby said in his presser that that was their plan, to flush him from the pocket. (He didn't continue that he killed us from there.) However, Baker said they didn't prepare at all for Jalen, which seems to contradict Kirby...
I had commented earlier that a Georgia analyst said that they put a spy on Jalen. On one of the plays that did appear to be the case but Jalen was off to the races with no one containing him. They had contained an injured Tua but the shoe was on the other foot with Jalen!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I had commented earlier that a Georgia analyst said that they put a spy on Jalen. On one of the plays that did appear to be the case but Jalen was off to the races with no one containing him. They had contained an injured Tua but the shoe was on the other foot with Jalen!
They don't have a Roquan Smith this year. Smith did that to perfection last year.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
OU has faced two top 60 defenses this season: Army (9) and Iowa State (34). UA has faced six top 40 offenses this season: Ole Miss (9), UGA (13), Missouri (18), Texas A&M (20), Arkansas State (21), Louisiana-Lafayette (39).

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
As to KM's ability to throw into tight coverage...I have neither the time nor the patience to go back and review every throw in every game but yes he can and has thrown into tight coverage. Has he also thrown balls that his receivers have bailed him out on, of course. Has he missed some throws, certainly. But, there's never been a question about his arm strength or accuracy or his ability to read coverages. He is legit.
As I have said, our defense is very young and it's been through a lot of turmoil with the firing of Mike Stoops. When Stoops was DC many think he was too multiple and his schemes too complicated. Many times there seemed to be confusion in terms of the defensive call and where to line up. After he left the defense was simplified. It still got torched by 3 outstanding offensive teams...TT, OSU, and WVU. But there were signs of improvement. The second Texas game showed even more improvement and a new lineup that seemed to help. With a month to prepare you have to hope the improvement continues. The key will be if they can get a few stops and or TO's. Usually in games like this one can expect the unexpected.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He also said in a presser that they put a spy on Jalen but that Jalen "got outside" (read "outran") the spy...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
As to KM's ability to throw into tight coverage...I have neither the time nor the patience to go back and review every throw in every game but yes he can and has thrown into tight coverage. Has he also thrown balls that his receivers have bailed him out on, of course. Has he missed some throws, certainly. But, there's never been a question about his arm strength or accuracy or his ability to read coverages. He is legit.
As I have said, our defense is very young and it's been through a lot of turmoil with the firing of Mike Stoops. When Stoops was DC many think he was too multiple and his schemes too complicated. Many times there seemed to be confusion in terms of the defensive call and where to line up. After he left the defense was simplified. It still got torched by 3 outstanding offensive teams...TT, OSU, and WVU. But there were signs of improvement. The second Texas game showed even more improvement and a new lineup that seemed to help. With a month to prepare you have to hope the improvement continues. The key will be if they can get a few stops and or TO's. Usually in games like this one can expect the unexpected.
Turnovers will be the difference. OU got Texas good on the corner cat blitz in the 4th quarter that resulted in a safety. I expect Ruffin McNeil to blitz Tua a lot and test his ankle.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I get all our assumptions re the Okie D and u can certainly make the case that those assumptions are well founded. However we all discussed some assumptions of the Ga D many based on stats etc. Those didn’t prove accurate in terms of how the game played out. Bama will hopefully b better prepare and focused this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I get all our assumptions re the Okie D and u can certainly make the case that those assumptions are well founded. However we all discussed some assumptions of the Ga D many based on stats etc. Those didn’t prove accurate in terms of how the game played out. Bama will hopefully b better prepare and focused this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe OU has the same fortune as UGA and Tua gets injured on the first drive of the game.

With a healthy Tua, Alabama wins that game. He played the entire game with a bum leg and still led Alabama to 21 points.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Which is going to happen sometimes to anyone UA uses to spy on TM. Dude is fast and shifty.
Most people do not understand what a "spy" is supposed to do. They are not supposed to make tackles in open space, though they might sometimes have to do so. They are meant to be a part of a group of players who work together to contain the QB. So, if the entire group does its job well, no one will ever be on an island with Murray. They each push him to "help" or the sideline.

Also, Murray does not take on tackles like Tua or Jalen do. He does not try to run anyone over. If he cannot get around a tackler, he slides.

Georgia did not play Jalen well in the SECCG. They lost contain and left the spy one on one with Jalen in space. The unit failed, not just the spy. Why? Because they did not prepare for Jalen.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
And people seem to overlook how UGA plays - they're the one team that lined up and played every bit as physically as Bama does. That game was full of massive collisions - in the trenches, tackling ball carriers, etc.
Georgia's whole season was built up for that one game, for revenge. They played their guts out and outplayed Bama for most of three quarters. Tua getting hurt early played right into their plans almost to well! I think it bit them in the end when momentum changed and the game was turned over to Jalen and his early success got them rattled. But no doubt the best team won the game and I think the way it played out might have been the catalyst Bama need's going further into the playoff. Tua losing the Heisman may also be a blessing in the end.

Georgia was certainly the second best team in the SEC at season's end, but Bama was the best team all season long and at the end of the fourth quarter against Georgia. I think the game against Georgia in the SEC championship game was just the rat poison antidote Bama needed. But what do I know? Having a hard time getting a read on this upcoming game against Oklahoma from the comments on here. Looks to be anyone's guess until maybe we know more about Tua's health. Not that I do not think Jalen can win it, in fact at this point it may be his game to win but after the fourth quarter against Georgia I am feeling confident that he can do it. What happens if Kyler Murray pulls a Colt McCoy and gets taken out of the game early? Do they have a Jalen Hurts waiting in their back pocket?

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 9, 2018
Looking at OU's defense, there are two guys to watch out for. #9 Kenneth Murray and #18 Curtis Bolton. Murray has 140 tackles, 12 TFL, and 4.0 sacks. Bolton has 133 tackles, 11.5 TFL, and 4.0 sacks. Both men are linebackers and a bit on the small size. Murray is 6'2" 238, and Bolton is 6'0" 218. I find it surprising that these two guys both have so many tackles on the season.
Its not surprising when you realize why they both have over 100 tackles. It's scheme.

You guys here have talked about running it up the middle on us right? Everyone has, all year long. Between that and the fact we run a lot of prevent defense just to keep the other team in front of us and not behind us, most plays get pushed into the center of the field back to the linebackers. Giving them all the tackles.

The runs up the middle and the short over the middle and in the flat throws everyone does against us for easy yards pushes them right back to those two players most plays.

Add to it bad tackling that slows ppl down but doesn't get them down and you have even more tackles for those two as they play clean up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.