Alabama: Tide vs Sooners: X's and O's and Jimmies and Joes

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I keep reading from posters on both sides saying that Alabama's defense has not faced an offense as good as that which they will face on the 29th. That simply is not true. They face your offense every week in practice.

The Sooners, however, have not even been exposed to a defense like they will face. They have no way to prepare for the physical style of play that they will see from Alabama's front 7. You can watch tape all you want - if you can't duplicate it in practice, you cannot prepare.

They will have a plan. It will be a very well conceived plan. But they are going to have to execute it, and Alabama is going to have something to say about how that goes.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I keep reading from posters on both sides saying that Alabama's defense has not faced an offense as good as that which they will face on the 29th. That simply is not true. They face your offense every week in practice.

The Sooners, however, have not even been exposed to a defense like they will face. They have no way to prepare for the physical style of play that they will see from Alabama's front 7. You can watch tape all you want - if you can't duplicate it in practice, you cannot prepare.

They will have a plan. It will be a very well conceived plan. But they are going to have to execute it, and Alabama is going to have something to say about how that goes.
Dang Coach put me in. I'm ready to hit somebody.

GratefulSooner

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 30, 2015
This question is for Sooner posters and, of course, Bama (and any Dawg) posters:

Analyze last year's CFP semi when OU jumped out front and GA came roaring back. I didn't see the game, nor have I taken the time to watch. I know the personel will be different (especially QBs), but what's the explanation for the reversal of fortune from one half to the other?
Chubb and Michel ran wild on us. We may have been a bit conservative on offense with the lead. But primarily it was our inability to stop Georgia's rushing game.

Since Stoops' departure, McNeil has made the defense more run focused. We gave up 4.7 yards per rush against Texas in the first game, and about 2.7 in the second game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Chubb and Michel ran wild on us. We may have been a bit conservative on offense with the lead. But primarily it was our inability to stop Georgia's rushing game.

Since Stoops' departure, McNeil has made the defense more run focused. We gave up 4.7 yards per rush against Texas in the first game, and about 2.7 in the second game.
Keep seeing references to the improvement from the first Texas game to the second.

Honest question - was that because of Ruffin or because of revenge and what was at stake?

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

Not sure that Texas has the running game that Alabama has but we'll know soon enough. Herman is still building that program though he's not far off.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Did Georgia abandon the run in the first half and then come back to it in the second?

Did their defense going to man make the biggest difference in the second half offensive struggles?

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Its not surprising when you realize why they both have over 100 tackles. It's scheme.

You guys here have talked about running it up the middle on us right? Everyone has, all year long. Between that and the fact we run a lot of prevent defense just to keep the other team in front of us and not behind us, most plays get pushed into the center of the field back to the linebackers. Giving them all the tackles.

The runs up the middle and the short over the middle and in the flat throws everyone does against us for easy yards pushes them right back to those two players most plays.

Add to it bad tackling that slows ppl down but doesn't get them down and you have even more tackles for those two as they play clean up.
Thanks for your response. I figured that scheme probably had something to do with why these two players have so many tackles. The #3 tackler on the team has 59 tackles, so such a big gap points to scheme. I appreciate your take on this, as it helps to explain very well why these two players have so many tackles. What defensive formation does OU use?

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Not sure that playing man coverage is the best thing against Murray. He's a much more elusive athlete than Mayfield (who was good but not as shift and fast). If we play man coverage and turn our backs then Murray, if he breaks the pocket, can burn us instantly by scrambling or throwing on the run. Whatever defensive scheme we come up with better be sound.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
RE: Rose Bowl: Ga. switched from zone to man and it took us the 3rd qtr. to adjust but we did start moving the ball again and did score off of our O in the 4th. I also think we got to conservative when we got that halftime lead.
I'm not all that much into comparative statistics. Louisville is who they are and so are we. I know we are an explosive offense and a young but developing defense. My opinions on this board are not meant to try and convince folks we will win. I'm just trying to put some perspective on the 2018 Sooners. I hope we play well. If we do and lose that's all you can ask.

Suspended
Dec 9, 2018
It's funny reading back and forth between both teams message boards
This appears to be headed for a shootout. Both teams think they can outscore the other one is the overall gist I get.

This is going to make for an ugly game if both teams and coaches are thinking the same thing. After a month layoff it's the offenses that are most affected.

i would think Oklahoma prefers an ugly shoot out. They've been doing those for 4 quarters all year. So it will be a lot like their other games. They're comfortable doing that.

I think Alabama is more than capable of getting in a shootout for 4 quarters but I feel like if you do that you're playing OU's game and OU is really good at their game.

On the other hand, if you play ball control you risk the chance of not getting in a rythm offensively and letting Oklahoma get up on you if your offense stalls after the month long break. At the same time If OU's offense stalls then alabama could be up big for half time if OU is going 3 and out quickly.

It's interesting how these two teams matchup. Neither team plays a style of football that works to the others strengths.

There's going to be Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde quarters for both teams I think.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Keep seeing references to the improvement from the first Texas game to the second.

Honest question - was that because of Ruffin or because of revenge and what was at stake?
I think it is because they played them. Having experienced the UT offense and defense first hand, they were able to learn and adjust.

In the first game they played them heads-up and Texas' balanced offense allowed Texas to win the TOP - they allowed Texas' run game to dictate the tempo of the game. In the second game they loaded the box on defense, stopped the Texas run game and took their chances that Murray could out-duel Ehlinger.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not sure that playing man coverage is the best thing against Murray. He's a much more elusive athlete than Mayfield (who was good but not as shift and fast). If we play man coverage and turn our backs then Murray, if he breaks the pocket, can burn us instantly by scrambling or throwing on the run. Whatever defensive scheme we come up with better be sound.
I've thought about the same. It's a catch 22. I think we cover their receivers better in man, but if he breaks the pocket that's trouble. However, if we sit in zone and he has time, I'm afraid he's good enough to hit players in the empty spaces, especially shallow crossing routes. But zone would neutralize his scrambling for big chunks to some extent.

For the experts: I know we are real good at showing one type of coverage and then changing at the last moment. However, do we ever combine man/zone coverages (play man on one or two and go zone with the others)?

Suspended
Dec 9, 2018
*In response to what kind of D we run*

We can't really answer that because we don't know. In the conference championship they changed the entire scheme and mixed up personnel groupings some from what we used all year.
I think everyone can agree it improved the D some but it's just one game

We switched to a 4-2-5 from a 3-3-5 for the championship. The 4-2 can be used like a 4-3 because of how the back 5 personnel groupings we're assigned and how you want to call plays out of it. Its more aggressive than what we have been running and tries to utilize the athletes we have physicality.

Typically that D is 3 down with a standing DE with mixed groupings and assignments in the back 7.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think it is because they played them. Having experienced the UT offense and defense first hand, they were able to learn and adjust.

In the first game they played them heads-up and Texas' balanced offense allowed Texas to win the TOP - they allowed Texas' run game to dictate the tempo of the game. In the second game they loaded the box on defense, stopped the Texas run game and took their chances that Murray could out-duel Ehlinger.
Would be surprised if they don't take that gamble with us. If they do, Tua might throw for 600 yards.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I've thought about the same. It's a catch 22. I think we cover their receivers better in man, but if he breaks the pocket that's trouble. However, if we sit in zone and he has time, I'm afraid he's good enough to hit players in the empty spaces, especially shallow crossing routes. But zone would neutralize his scrambling for big chunks to some extent.

For the experts: I know we are real good at showing one type of coverage and then changing at the last moment. However, do we ever combine man/zone coverages (play man on one or two and go zone with the others)?
Mixing up looks sounds like the best way to go. Don't just show one thing on every play. I know Saban likes to run press man coverage but this game might dictate otherwise. Of course not having Hollywood Brown is a big hit to their passing game. Easily the most dangerous player on that offense outside of Murray.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Mentioned in another thread, but a request for our newer posters please "reply with quote" to make sure others know what your post is replying to. Thank you.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
RE: Rose Bowl: Ga. switched from zone to man and it took us the 3rd qtr. to adjust but we did start moving the ball again and did score off of our O in the 4th. I also think we got to conservative when we got that halftime lead.
I'm not all that much into comparative statistics. Louisville is who they are and so are we. I know we are an explosive offense and a young but developing defense. My opinions on this board are not meant to try and convince folks we will win. I'm just trying to put some perspective on the 2018 Sooners. I hope we play well. If we do and lose that's all you can ask.
It's going to be a good game. I have no doubt Oklahoma will show up prepared to play their best game. I kind of wish there was no playoff and this was the championship because this game is going to take a lot out of both teams. I don't see the same thing happening in the other bracket, unfortunately.

Suspended
Dec 9, 2018
Mixing up looks sounds like the best way to go. Don't just show one thing on every play. I know Saban likes to run press man coverage but this game might dictate otherwise. Of course not having Hollywood Brown is a big hit to their passing game. Easily the most dangerous player on that offense outside of Murray.
Hollywood is back

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.