Alabama: Tide vs Sooners: X's and O's and Jimmies and Joes

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Penalties and turnovers will decide this game. I worry about Murray scrambling and one of our guys getting a personal foul after he slides down or something because he's so quick. Hopefully we play clean on special teams.
Key to that is not to let him escape. We need to make sure he feel the pressure as soon the ball is snapped. like BigTide said.. I can live with his 300 yards passing as long he doesn't rush for 100... We want to make him feel like he has to do everything...wearing himself out in the process.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I this game, we will have to play clean on both sides of the ball as well as special teams. Our receivers can't be dropping wide open passes like they did against Georgia. We can't be roughing the punter on 4th and 9 like right before half in that game. Surely can't have a punt blocked like in the Auburn game. Oklahoma is simply too dangerous on offense to give them any help.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I this game, we will have to play clean on both sides of the ball as well as special teams. Our receivers can't be dropping wide open passes like they did against Georgia. We can't be roughing the punter on 4th and 9 like right before half in that game. Surely can't have a punt blocked like in the Auburn game. Oklahoma is simply too dangerous on offense to give them any help.
I'd be shocked if after a month's layoff we aren't "locked in" for this game.

BTW, someone suggested that some of those drops could have had something to do with Tua's velocity on the ball being slightly off since he hurt his ankle on our first series. Theory makes sense, but I think he might have had something to do with more than just that.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Originally Posted by GratefulSooner

But I would not be at all surprised if the OU defense in the Orange Bowl is on par with what you saw against an LSU or A&M.

Since GratefulSooner is an apparent reference to the Grateful Dead, let me put this in terms you can understand:

LSU defense on LSD still >> OU defense

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I'd be shocked if after a month's layoff we aren't "locked in" for this game.

BTW, someone suggested that some of those drops could have had something to do with Tua's velocity on the ball being slightly off since he hurt his ankle on our first series. Theory makes sense, but I think he might have had something to do with more than just that.
Our team was not mentally sharp during the first half of the last three games of the regular season. Perhaps they were mentally ground down from the rigors of the training and all the media pressure. Plus we obviously had some guys banged up. Hopefully this month off will help refresh them. The month of November was brutal. Playing LSU, MSU then the Citadel who runs the triple option, bookended by Auburn and Georgia. That's tough.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Our team was not mentally sharp during the first half of the last three games of the regular season. Perhaps they were mentally ground down from the rigors of the training and all the media pressure. Plus we obviously had some guys banged up. Hopefully this month off will help refresh them. The month of November was brutal. Playing LSU, MSU then the Citadel who runs the triple option, bookended by Auburn and Georgia. That's tough.
On top of that, we've had slow starts.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
On top of that, we've had slow starts.
That's what I mean. We started slow against The Citadel but I think it really began in the second half of the MSU game when their defense really clamped down. Just shows how hard it is to run the table in the SEC.

GratefulSooner

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 30, 2015
Originally Posted by GratefulSooner

But I would not be at all surprised if the OU defense in the Orange Bowl is on par with what you saw against an LSU or A&M.

Since GratefulSooner is an apparent reference to the Grateful Dead, let me put this in terms you can understand:

LSU defense on LSD still >> OU defense
I'm a bit confused why I'm having trouble communicating here. My posts are being consistently misunderstood in a way that grossly distorts the points I'm trying to make. I haven't had this problem in the past with Alabama fans, so I don't know what my malfunction is this time...But I feel like it has become too tedious to really continue.
Sorry to wrap this up in one mass response, but I just wanted to clarify what I actually believe:

1. Alabama is a better team than OU this year and should win the game. The 14-point spread is reasonable. It is also plausible that Alabama trucks OU. This could be Saban's best team.

2. Oklahoma's defense has been terrible all year. Historically bad. Godawful. Not just bad, but utterly rotten terrible. The worst defense I've ever seen at OU. On par with the very worst defenses Alabama has seen this year. The OU defense has played like they were on LSD all year. Like the players and coaches were all on LSD. However, the issues seem to be more mental than physical. Given OU's relatively high talent level and a few weeks of prep for a single team, they have a chance for dramatic improvement. They're not going to morph into an elite defense, but they could play like a reasonably good defense as compared to the awful defense they've been most of the year.

3. The SEC has been the top conference in CFB over the past decade (and for the most part historically.) But the primary reason the SEC has been so strong in the past decade is because of Alabama. If Alabama had joined the ACC a decade ago, the ACC would claim top dog status, and you'd have Pitt fans hollering about ACC dominance as if being in a conference with Alabama, Clemson and FSU made them special. It just doesn't work that way. The SEC West is nearly always good. But the SEC East is very inconsistent. They are great this year, but were terrible last year. Having #2 Georgia doesn't erase the fact that 5/7 of the SEC East failed to make the top-60 in Sagarin rankings last year. Nobody should pretend that teams that don't make the top-60 in Sagarin are actually good teams.

Good luck in the game, and in the likely championship with Clemson. Should be fun to watch...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I'm a bit confused why I'm having trouble communicating here. My posts are being consistently misunderstood in a way that grossly distorts the points I'm trying to make. I haven't had this problem in the past with Alabama fans, so I don't know what my malfunction is this time...But I feel like it has become too tedious to really continue.
Sorry to wrap this up in one mass response, but I just wanted to clarify what I actually believe:

1. Alabama is a better team than OU this year and should win the game. The 14-point spread is reasonable. It is also plausible that Alabama trucks OU. This could be Saban's best team.

2. Oklahoma's defense has been terrible all year. Historically bad. Godawful. Not just bad, but utterly rotten terrible. The worst defense I've ever seen at OU. On par with the very worst defenses Alabama has seen this year. The OU defense has played like they were on LSD all year. Like the players and coaches were all on LSD. However, the issues seem to be more mental than physical. Given OU's relatively high talent level and a few weeks of prep for a single team, they have a chance for dramatic improvement. They're not going to morph into an elite defense, but they could play like a reasonably good defense as compared to the awful defense they've been most of the year.

3. The SEC has been the top conference in CFB over the past decade (and for the most part historically.) But the primary reason the SEC has been so strong in the past decade is because of Alabama. If Alabama had joined the ACC a decade ago, the ACC would claim top dog status, and you'd have Pitt fans hollering about ACC dominance as if being in a conference with Alabama, Clemson and FSU made them special. It just doesn't work that way. The SEC West is nearly always good. But the SEC East is very inconsistent. They are great this year, but were terrible last year. Having #2 Georgia doesn't erase the fact that 5/7 of the SEC East failed to make the top-60 in Sagarin rankings last year. Nobody should pretend that teams that don't make the top-60 in Sagarin are actually good teams.

Good luck in the game, and in the likely championship with Clemson. Should be fun to watch...
If Mizzou were still part of the Big 12 then I believe they would be the second best team in that conference this year behind Oklahoma. They're better than Texas IMO and have an awesome QB. In the SEC they are probably the fifth or sixth best team, though it's debatable. They played us and Georgia pretty hard I thought.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

We're grateful to have you Sooner so don't go. This is a Bama board and most of us are homers...I know I am. We enjoy the OU perspective but can get into over zealous mode at times with our perspectives. I have never been to any OU boards but I imagine that could happen to me there. Anyway, lots of respect here. Hoping for a good, injury free game in the Orange Bowl.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Can't find much fault with any of this.

I would only say that the record indicates that the SEC has top tier teams year in and year out. No one has been as consistent as Alabama has been over the last 10 years in... ever.

But I dare say few, if any, conferences have had as many teams reach the top tier as the SEC over that time span. Make it 20 years and that still holds.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Can't find much fault with any of this.

I would only say that the record indicates that the SEC has top tier teams year in and year out. No one has been as consistent as Alabama has been over the last 10 years in... ever.

But I dare say few, if any, conferences have had as many teams reach the top tier as the SEC over that time span. Make it 20 years and that still holds.
You might start with the 335 active players on NFL rosters vs. 123 for the B12. Alabama alone leads with 44. LSU has 40 and UF has 38, so those three teams alone have 122, or one less than the entire B12 conference. That is the clearest B12 talent mirror...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Agreed. This will be a game we'll feel uncomfortable until the clock hits 00:00.

They'll move the ball up and down the field. They'll have 400-500 yards of O. But our D will stop them enough.

Question comes down to, can their D keep us from scoring more?
Nothing their defense has shown to date indicates this is even a remote possibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Nothing their defense has shown to date indicates this is even a remote possibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed but that is assuming Tua is 100% for the game and has good mobility. Fingers crossed that he's fully recovered.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Agreed but that is assuming Tua is 100% for the game and has good mobility. Fingers crossed that he's fully recovered.
Does OU get a good amount of pressure? Kinda think if Tua is healthy enough to be accurate we'll be ok. Though I'd feel more comfortable with a fully healthy and mobile Tua.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Does OU get a good amount of pressure? Kinda think if Tua is healthy enough to be accurate we'll be ok. Though I'd feel more comfortable with a fully healthy and mobile Tua.
Not sure but I expect them to bring pressure and blitz to test that ankle often. He'll have to get rid of the ball if nothing is open.

Supervir2

Dec 11, 2018
Hi all - been reading in the background, but decided to chime in.

My POV is as a Sooner fan (but in no way football expert) who has been following the team closely for 20 years. I've watched all of our games, but have only seen highlights of Alabama to this point.

To echo GratefulSooner, I think most OU fans are realists and would pick Alabama in this game if "their life depended on it" and it wouldn't be close. That said, a few thoughts on some of the discussions to this point.

100% the way to see this matchup is that the two offense are comparably good, but one has to go against a bad defense. There is no way around that. However, games aren't played on paper or based on stats and it will be played, so where is OU optimism coming from?

When we say we're hopeful about improvement in our defense, that is a relative thing. Both teams will get healthier, so that improvement is a wash. The OU offense, and both Bama's offense and defense are all exceptional, so improvement wouldn't be expected to be significant. The OU defense, however, has been terrible. If a unit is going to make *meaningful* strides, it would be this one. It won't go from abysmal to elite or even close, but with a month to prepare, could it possibly reach a point where there are fewer busts, tackling is better, and a wrinkle or two leads to a TO? Conceivably. There have been flashes of better play from different levels of the defense the last few weeks, despite the scoring. Consistency will be huge. Will it play out in the OB? I don't know, but I do hope we'll see some improvement.

In terms of our O vs your D: First, we respect the heck out of your defense. Our confidence is based on past results, just like your confidence in your defense is. I think we'll be able to move the ball more than you'd like and it will depend on if we can score TD's vs FG's. Auburn, tOSU, and UGA fans the last few years said we wouldn't be able to score and we've done ok. For sure, this will be the best defense we've faced and you'll get pressure at times, make windows tight, and limit YAC- it may well be enough, but we've seen our O still perform well against some comparable (I think that is fair) DL's and defenses in the last few years. I do think our game planning is a cut above. Our guys are wide open in the highlight vids as much because of play design as it is their talent. I would put LR with a month to prepare up against NS in this regard. The bowl game sample size is small, but we've had several years of his offenses to watch and he finds weaknesses against everyone. This will be a great matchup to watch. I expect it to be similar to against UGA where most of our success was in the first half. I do think we slowed things down and lost our edge slightly coming out of half which contributed as much as changes they made to our slower second half.

In terms of our D vs other offenses...I've seen a lot of talk about how other offenses have done against our D and therefore Alabama will perform that much better than they did. Yes, your offense is better than anything we've faced, but it isn't magnitudes better than the best ones and each game and matchup is different. Army "held" us to 21, but their defense isn't incredible. Their offense was their best defense and we shot ourselves in the foot a few times. Could something similar happened with us playing the role of Army? I don't see why not. Also, yes, our defense is similar to some of the poor teams you've played, but those teams aren't 12-1. You can't separate the two and how our offense plays will make a big difference in how the game plays out. Advantage you all, for sure, but I don't think you can say we give up 20 more points than opposing teams average and expect to score 50. Too many moving parts, a month to prepare, and too much at stake here.

Motivation-wise, I'm sure Alabama will want to play well on both O and D thanks to the Heisman results, but I'm not convinced that is significant. They were playing for a NC as it was...how much more focused or motivated could each side be?

I'll go to my grave convinced that had we beaten UGA last year, we'd have won the NC. They had a month to prepare and still weren't ready for our O and I think you'd have fared similar, but not been as able to come back. This year though, you've got more than enough offense, our defense is worse, and have the full month to be more ready. You're deservedly the favorite and I could see it easily being a 21 point win for you, but I don't think it is far-fetched for it to play out differently.

GuessJ

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 11, 2018
If this post is any indication .. you are coming across 5 by 5, crystal clear to this Bama fan. Further, I tend to be far from brief in my writing so I enjoy reasonably written "lengthy" posts. :)

Agree, Agree, Agreed,.. Kind of on the team. --- This is without a doubt Saban's best offense he's ever fielded at Alabama. However this defense is not as good as those of the last 7-8 years. Don't get me wrong,.. it's an amazing defense by most standards. It's an 'elite' defense. It's statistically a top 10 defense across the board. It has the best player in football, imo, QWilliams.

However, it has a few weaknesses. Saivion Smith (CB) is , frankly, Bama's weakest secondary link and as such is picked on / targeted by teams who know how to coach A LOT. While Saivion doesn't constantly miss his assignments/busts.. he does so enough in each game to have earned the 'worst of the best' if you will. His primary issue is he has to compensate for his lack of CB level speed. Saivion runs a 4.6 40.. and Saban defenses typically require a 4.4 to 4.5 (or better/faster) speed for the DB's. Saivion is in because he has experience,.. we have Trevon Diggs out for season,.. and we have SO much youth behind him (and on field).
I'm not saying he's not a good CB.. Saban wouldn't keep him out there if he wasn't up to par as we have guys like Jared Mayden and Josh Jobe who are supremely fast and talented that don't have these deficiencies. Mayden has been playing more but Jobe hasn't seen the field and I haven't checked but I imagine he's been redshirted this year.

More on the top 10, elite defense, that compared to Saban's NORMAL defenses isn't mega awesome.

So we've established there is a slight hole in the coverage occasionally with Saivion(CB). Where else is there issue? Not many spots But ..

ILB .. Interior Linebackers (Mike/Will). We have EXTREME talent here.. We have the best linebacker in the country Dylan Moses at the Will.. guy runs a 4.4 flat as a Linebacker (that's speed).. then we have Mack Wilson calling the defense at Mike. They've had issues communicating this year (more at the start than now.. but still) -- Mack has had issues recognizing and getting all the assignments/play calls out to the team in a timely manner (again better now with his experience but still not up to 'automatic' levels).

Including the OLB's.. they are SOLID but they aren't exactly spectacular playmakers. Jennings and Miller have the potential to be suffocating but mostly they are supporting and are solid/reliable this year with flashes of greatness. These guys showed 'greatness' on a consistent basis last year in the Clemson Semi-Final.. I'm hoping we see that kind o defensive performance vs. Murray and his Sooners.

Last thing on LBers.. esp: MLB/ILB's -- They've been sub par when in COVERAGE. Teams know this is a weakness and you better believe riley is going to work on creating mismatches across the middle of the field where the LBers are responsible for pass coverage. On the flip side.. We've seen interceptions and near picks from Mack Wilson, Dylan Moses, and Anfernee Jennings this season with a lot of batted balls to boot. Especially if QW, Big Davis, and Buggs can get home .. opportunities arise. :)

Deionte Thompson is 'due' a few picks, as is his compadre Xavier McKinney, the mind blowing true freshman who is our best lockdown corner.. Patrick Surtain II,.. and SHYHEIM CARTER. Carter has been playing with his pants on fire lately.. he's been SOOO close on so many interceptions lately.. I really feel this defense will come away with a couple Take aways (even against the man.. Heisman Murray).

2. Oklahoma's defense has been terrible all year. Historically bad. Godawful. However, the issues seem to be more mental than physical. Given OU's relatively high talent level and a few weeks of prep for a single team, they have a chance for dramatic improvement. They're not going to morph into an elite defense, but they could play like a reasonably good defense as compared to the awful defense they've been most of the year.
You're not the first OU fan I've seen say this statement. That your defense has played terrible.. VERY bad.. but in the 4 weeks off the OU faithful believe their defense will come out MUCH improved. I don't know how much better you anticipate but I don't see it if I'm brutally honest.

I think the OU defense (if coached and motivated properly this month) can come out pumped up and will fly across the field working to make life harder for the Bama offense. However, given they have been TERRIBLY coached, lack the basic fundamentals at any consistent level (watching film on OU defense is painful),.. This motivation will be quite easy to shift away with a modicum of success running or passing via Alabama offense. I honestly blame the OU defense on the coaches 99%.

OU's defense is a group of players who have been disserviced and should honestly be a bit ....ed off about the LACK of SOLID coaching at such a prestigious University imho. It would NOT be difficult to hire in a proper GOOD defensive staff to change the culture there defensively and take that 100+ ranked defense and move it into a top 50 defense in a matter of months (off season spring/summer conditioning/fall).
OU has recruited at worst 15-16th and at best in the top 10 the last 5-6 recruiting cycles.. so there is SOME talent on that defense. It's a shame to see it go to waste due to coaching staff ineptitude / apathy imo.

Great and Interesting point(s). I will say the SEC is not nearly as 'top heavy' as it has been some years with Alabama and then 5 gaps till the #2 team. However, up until SECCG vs Georgia.. it appeared Alabama was head and shoulders above all SEC Teams. ANd on second thought I still believe they are.. I think the SECCG was a situation of a Heisman worthy QB in Tua being injured on the first series of game (High ankle sprain - required surgery) and that was IT for Tua basically (Even though he got it together in 3rd QTR to put some points on that board and bring it within 7.. before being injured again and knocked out of game completely. ) ... In comes Jalen and what Redemption Song he had. I felt like a PROUD Dad.. I'm 39 so Jalen could be my Kid if I had one as a teenager ;) I think even fans of OTHER teams had a MOMENT of cheering on Jalen Hurts if they knew his history/story. But bottom l ine.. Alabama ended up playing it's D+ or C- at best Game for about 2.5 - 3 Quarters and then FINALLY locked down on defense and offense for the final 1.X Quarter(s) to pull off the victory. Which is something Saban preaches so much, FINISHING -- Something this prolific offense hadn't had to TRULY exercise when the situation looked dire and hope lost with the 28-14 score going into second half. I think this showed a lot about struggling... OFF.. Bama team -- And, should serve those guys well should they find themselves back in adversity/behind/close game late etc in the playoffs.

Which, let's be honest,.. Is likely to happen.
Well said mon amis,.. and Ditto! I love respectful, non delusional, fans of the upcoming opposing team. You recognize the advantage Bama has and why. You don't make sweeping statements re: your team based on nothing but "wishcasting" ;) However, you also understand the very real risk the OU offense poses to Alabama and how this is most certainly not an auto win like .. say.. if Alabama had drawn Notre Dame instead :)

Best of luck to your Sooners, may the best team win, and let's hope nary an injury for either team transpires!

TL;DR -- Meh,.. Great Post,.. Stick around and Best of luck for the upcoming game!

Last edited:

GuessJ

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 11, 2018
If Mizzou were still part of the Big 12 then I believe they would be the second best team in that conference this year behind Oklahoma. They're better than Texas IMO and have an awesome QB. In the SEC they are probably the fifth or sixth best team, though it's debatable. They played us and Georgia pretty hard I thought.
Well.. maybe. The way Mizzou is NOW.. I agree. However, if Mizzou had remained in the Pac12 they wouldn't have had the SEC to bolster them in a plethora of ways. One of such is bringing up their level of play to the competition. I firmly believe Mizzou being in the SEC has made them a better team. As such if Mizzou were still in the PAC12 they may still be a " PAC12" type team. :)

GuessJ

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 11, 2018
I firmly believe even if Tua is (unlikely) not 100%.. that Jalen Hurts can run this offense at the level needed to execute the game plan they will use against Oklahoma. In other words I earnestly believe Hurts can win this game if Tua were sidelined all game. I think the run game will be used quite a bit,.. I think PAC will be used enough and Hurts runs the PAC well,.. and hurts has also shown he's improved considerably as a passer under Dan Enos (and watching Tua/discussing with Tua) this season.

He's been backup -- but watching him this year he passes the "much improved eye test" and his stats definitely back this up:

Jalen Hurts - 2018:

All of that said -- Jalen still hasn't developed his ability to make 2-5 reads consistently (but against Okie's defense I think Jalen's 1-2 Read/ one side of field reading would work + his legs). And.. odds are the better QB, Tua Tagovailoa will be 100% healthy 16 Days from now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.