Alabama: Tide vs Sooners: X's and O's and Jimmies and Joes

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Two of the top programs in college football square of 12/29/18 in Miami.

We've talked about Kyler and Tua in detail and the two defenses in more general terms.

Less discussed have been the overall talent (including groups and other individuals), strategies, schemes, and tactics of each team.

Oklahoma seems to have a lot of talent across the board. I haven't looked at recruiting rankings for them, but two straight years in the CFP and last year had UGA dead to rights but couldn't finish the deal. They have playmakers on offense and their maligned defense is still quite talented and physical.

This is the place to discuss schemes, vulnerabilities, strengths, matchups, and the like. What has or will work against them? Where is the Tide vulnerable to them?

I'd like more detail than "they are horrible on defense and Bama will impose their will!", but that's OK too.

I know a few posters will get deep into the stats, making some of our eyes pop out. I'm good with that also.

But how do our receivers match up in individual battles? How will OU scheme against our O? And so on.

This will be either Alabama's toughest or next toughest game of the year to date (behind UGA). ND would have been the easier team to beat by far.

I look forward to the game, but before then to good discussions with some of the most knowledgeable college football fans around.

I hope our Oklahoma posters will chime in as well. Fair warning, we don't tolerate smack (those already here know that).

Join in and Roll Tide!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Their O line is probably the best we have seen all year, but on the flipside our d line is probably the best they have seen all year. I think this is where what type of game is going to be ultimately decided. I think its a given that Oklahoma is going to catch our linebackers and Dbs in the wrong position, I know UGA totally abused Savion so I figure Oklahoma is going to try as well.

Their defense looks very small. It looks like how our offense matched up to ND's defense in 2012 size wise. If Tua is given time then we shouldn't punt more than twice.

But I think we are going to be right at that -14. I don't see us losing, but I can see a very uncomfortable shootout. But atleast we have the weapons for it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Their O line is probably the best we have seen all year, but on the flipside our d line is probably the best they have seen all year. I think this is where what type of game is going to be ultimately decided. I think its a given that Oklahoma is going to catch our linebackers and Dbs in the wrong position, I know UGA totally abused Savion so I figure Oklahoma is going to try as well.

Their defense looks very small. It looks like how our offense matched up to ND's defense in 2012 size wise. If Tua is given time then we shouldn't punt more than twice.

But I think we are going to be right at that -14. I don't see us losing, but I can see a very uncomfortable shootout. But atleast we have the weapons for it.
Indeed, we do.

I plan to watch more of their games to better understand their schemes, but they run a version of the 4-3 on defense. I haven't looked too deeply at their starters in the front seven, but my mind remembers them being a bit on the smaller and faster side. I wonder if Alabama might be able to run straight at them as a result. I always thought of that 2012 ND team as bigger and slower yet lacking physically. The Sooners won't lack physically but not sure they can match Bama in that category.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
Two of the top programs in college football square of 12/29/18 in Miami.
We've talked about Kyler and Tua in detail and the two defenses in more general terms.
Less discussed have been the overall talent (including groups and other individuals), strategies, schemes, and tactics of each team.
Oklahoma seems to have a lot of talent across the board. I haven't looked at recruiting rankings for them, but two straight years in the CFP and last year had UGA dead to rights but couldn't finish the deal. They have playmakers on offense and their maligned defense is still quite talented and physical.
This is the place to discuss schemes, vulnerabilities, strengths, matchups, and the like. What has or will work against them? Where is the Tide vulnerable to them?
I'd like more detail than "they are horrible on defense and Bama will impose their will!", but that's OK too.
I know a few posters will get deep into the stats, making some of our eyes pop out. I'm good with that also.

But how do our receivers match up in individual battles? How will OU scheme against our O? And so on.
This will be either Alabama's toughest or next toughest game of the year to date (behind UGA). ND would have been the easier team to beat by far.
I look forward to the game, but before then to good discussions with some of the most knowledgeable college football fans around.
I hope our Oklahoma posters will chime in as well. Fair warning, we don't tolerate smack (those already here know that).
Join in and Roll Tide!
Matt Stinchcomb and Greg McElroy did a run through the other day with video. Greg McElroy seemed to think that Alabama's offense could pick run or pass and move the football and score at will. Their secondary was discombobulated and out of position most of the time and susceptible to hurry up or fast pace offenses.

They weren't sure whether OK's offensive line was as good as advertised or just good against the level of competition. Both thought Bama's best bet for pressuring Kyler Murray was a push up the middle even if it didn't result in a sack because of Murray's height.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Matt Stinchcomb and Greg McElroy did a run through the other day with video. Greg McElroy seemed to think that Alabama's offense could pick run or pass and move the football and score at will. Their secondary was discombobulated and out of position most of the time and susceptible to hurry up or fast pace offenses.

They weren't sure whether OK's offensive line was as good as advertised or just good against the level of competition. Both thought Bama's best bet for pressuring Kyler Murray was a push up the middle even if it didn't result in a sack because of Murray's height.

This is exactly right. My Texas friend was at the Big 12 title game, and I was screaming at the TV, "Why don't you send a FOURTH rusher in there." I asked him via text, and he responded, "Because we don't have the athletes you do, and he will kill us downfield."

He seems to think (as well) that the fact we will have the athletes to do that is going to have the biggest bearing on the outcome. I expect something along the lines of the 2013 ATM game at the start.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Fortunately, we have just the man for that in Q.

It seems that might also force Murray to run to the outside instead of up the middle unless the D line overruns the play. I imagine Bama will have to scheme for containment against the QB run.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I’m not smart enough in football to know much about the x’s and o’s, but I do know enough that it must suck to know you have to basically score on almost every possession in order to win a game. Kyler said something to the effect of having to score on every possession in an interview earlier in the week. That’s a tall task even if you have a great offense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

It seems that might also force Murray to run to the outside instead of up the middle unless the D line overruns the play. I imagine Bama will have to scheme for containment against the QB run.
I would spy him with Moses all game long.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Oklahoma reminds me of 2013 Texas A&M. Incredibly dangerous offense but a defense basically that just needs to be decent enough when it matters. I hope our team is ready for the tempo at which they operate.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
As usual what happens in the trenches will be a big factor in determining the outcome. OU has a good Oline and CLR says their center is not only the best center but the best Olineman he has ever seen in college football. Q and co. against their Oline will be the key matchup IMO.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They're actually quite close - Bama has run seven more plays on offense this entire season than OU (Bama: 866, OU: 859).
Sorry, meant tempo, as in HUNH type stuff. They really don't do that. They are a very methodical offense. They just execute at a high level (like Alabama).

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017
Oklahoma's O-line has done a tremendous job this year giving Murray extended time to find targets. If Bama's D-line can press the pocket especially up the middle and impact Murray's field of vision it will be a big plus. Murray is listed at 5'10 and that is very generous. Blitzes must be measured and properly timed while maintaining rush lanes or Murray will take advantage and readily looks to do damage with his feet. Oklahoma will feast off throwing to the backs coming out of the backfield if Bama's uses the same scheme employed against GA. I have read much dissatisfaction around Bama's ILB play especially defending the pass and it is merited. IMO what is missing is the extremely well versed LB leader such as McLain, Mosley, Hamilton, Foster. Wilson is a very talented LB but isn't as talented as the before mentioned group to be able to recognize formations and make adjustments. Because of this weakness Bama must go basic at times to get everyone on the same page. I personally have not seen Coach Lopoi make very good on the fly adjustments but halftime discussions/adjustments have been excellent. To that end if Oklahoma gets Bama on their heels in the first half it could be ugly. I expect Bama's defense to give up some big plays but realistically if Oklahoma can be forced to punt 5 times it will be a three score win for the good guys.

Offensively Bama should have success but a balanced attack would produce points but also win the time of possession battle to minimize Oklahoma's opportunities. I expect Bama's backs to have a good day running the ball which will allow over the top throws.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I wonder how much Tosh L will be challenged in the playcalling , as this is the best offense he has seen this year. Surely Saban will have a big part of it? If I were Tosh, I'd even ask advice from Jeremy Pruitt since he's not in a bowl game. Defense coaches and players need to get the play call in quickly and adjust quickly --especially Mac Wilson and Dylan Moses.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Our lb play and how much our Oline will push the LOS forward are the two things that I will be watching. I look for the Sooners to gamble a lot on D and bring 6-7 rushers. They know if we get our run game going then it could be over quickly. I look for a lot of our receivers to be wide open early in the game. Can our qb connect with them when they are and take advantage of the opportunities? We will see.

Last edited:

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I don't know how good their O line really is. Murray gets the ball out of his hands so fast that teams have not been able to pressure him too much. Coverage down field will dictate how much pressure we put on him. RTR

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Our lb play and how much our Oline will push the LOS forward are the two things that I will be watching. I look for the Sooners to gamble a lot on D and bring 6-7 rushers. They know if we get our run game going then it could be over quickly. I look for a lot of our receivers to be wide open early in the game. Can our qb connect with them when they are and take advantage of the opportunities? We will see.
They'll also want to disrupt Tua's passing. I feel like our receivers will beat their DB's. And double teaming isn't really an option, with our group of receivers. So I expect blitzes and rushing 6 or 7 often. We should at least be prepared for it. Tua may not get many downfield opportunities.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
For all the maligning of the Sooner, D, those guys played much better against Tejas last time. Not world beater, but decent.
With a month to prepare, I expect the Sooner D to be better than their stats would indicate.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With a month to prepare, I expect the Sooner D to be better than their stats would indicate.
Since their stats suggest that they will not be able to stop Alabama once, that is not a very bold statement. :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.