Oh boy! Now it's the Sooners and academics...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Don't take the elevator?
Just attending the OU/Texas game puts a quash on any idea that OU fans (or Texas fans) are angels. There was a time that if you were in an elevator and the door opened, you had to be prepared to answer OU or Texas to a gang of thugs staring at you. Answer wrong, and you got the crap kicked out of you. That kind of behavior has actually lessened over the years. It used to be real bad.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
What’s the total endowment figure for UA vs OU? I would think that OU is very well monied, given their alumni base connected to the petroleum industry.
don't know if you knew it or not, but Oklahoma University has the ability to spin up cyclones that accidentally tears down buildings from time to time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Lots of good information on this thread; I swear though I don't know where some of the anti Bama stuff comes from; I've never seen some of those OU sites claimed they come from; they probably exist, but sure aren't the top tier ones for OU, I do know that. Any reason to get upset and chippy at the opponent will usually do though I don't like seeing these two fan bases go at each other.
Besides the real "hicks" and other non disclosed names that are not complimentary is in no way meant for Bama or its fans, the Sooner who wrote that got his threads mixed up surely as those things are meant for LSU and its fan base; Our fans (OU) almost to a person have stated time and again for years now, the LSU fans were the absolute worst they have ever seen or been around, bar none; I haven't been around them but from the stories I was told later, they sounded much like the San Diego St. fans; where groups of 20ish age guys would gang up on elderly couples in the parking lot after the game and curse them, throw liquids on them, et al.
For me, I took a couple on while in the stadium and though bigger than me they backed down as I expected.....anyway, all this to say, enjoy the reading here by a very literate football group, as are we, that makes it that much better....but really the only statistic or data that matters is the numbers of the final score.........good, bad or indifferent, those numbers will live past us all. I've said before and I mean it still, I hope the best team does not win this game..........GO SOONERS !!!!

(pray no key injuries or career injuries, for either team)
We (I) appreciate your presence here. Some of the best discussions we've had over the years here have been with rival fans who had a sincere desire to analyze the teams and game objectively. I have been surprised by some of the remarks I've read by OU fans, and, most of all by the "administrator." I don't think I saw that kind of ignorance the last several times we played. The newer OU boards do not, IMO, improve the OU fan base image...

Land

Sep 14, 2018
Local Oklahoma Radio station in OKC and Tulsa...'The Franchise' 107.7...The Morning Show...One of the crew stated that Alabama was full of morons and inbreds...This as I was driving to work...Yes, I live in Oklahoma. My license tag Proudly states..."ALABAMA" for all to see! They can be really, really irritating.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Local Oklahoma Radio station in OKC and Tulsa...'The Franchise' 107.7...The Morning Show...One of the crew stated that Alabama was full of morons and inbreds...This as I was driving to work...Yes, I live in Oklahoma. My license tag Proudly states..."ALABAMA" for all to see! They can be really, really irritating.
Hmm... So it's not just barely literate keyboard warriors...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have to say, having been stationed in the Sooner state, Oklahoma sort of lives in a glass house on that score. Oklahoma has some beautiful scenery and there are fine people in Oklahoma, but that state has its seedier side as well. And some of the inhabitants are, shall we say, "colorful."
I went to the OU-K State Big 12 championship in Arrowhead on 2003, fully expecting the Sooners to spank K State. Filing into the stadium, every ten seconds someone would yell "Boomer!" and the inevitable replies echoed across the stadium. K State won 35-7. The Sooner fans were a bit more subdued on the way out of the stadium.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have to say, having been stationed in the Sooner state, Oklahoma sort of lives in a glass house on that score. Oklahoma has some beautiful scenery and there are fine people in Oklahoma, but that state has its seedier side as well. And some of the inhabitants are, shall we say, "colorful."
I went to the OU-K State Big 12 championship in Arrowhead on 2003, fully expecting the Sooners to spank K State. Filing into the stadium, every ten seconds someone would yell "Boomer!" and the inevitable replies echoed across the stadium. K State won 35-7. The Sooner fans were a bit more subdued on the way out of the stadium.
Depending on the status of the lawsuit to convert the whole eastern part of the state back to a Indian reservation, that "Boomer-Sooner" call could ring hollow... :D

Sevenmm

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 16, 2018
Depending on the status of the lawsuit to convert the whole eastern part of the state back to a Indian reservation, that "Boomer-Sooner" call could ring hollow... :D
I'm half Cherokee and just fine with this if it does, thanks for posting it (seriously).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm half Cherokee and just fine with this if it does, thanks for posting it (seriously).
That will be interesting.
Before contact with Europeans, the native bands living in what is now Oklahoma were Wichitas, Caddos, Plains Apaches* (currently the Apache Tribe), and the Quapaws. The federal government took the land from them and sold it to the Five Civilized Nations (Choctaws, Cherokees, Creeks, Chickasaws and Seminoles). Who owns that land? I am not sure, but unraveling that knot is going to be difficult.

Maybe the University Formerly of Oklahoma (UFO?), can become the University of North Texas. Oops. That one is already taken. UFO it is, I suppose.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Out of curiosity I went over to "DirtBurgler" and read the thread titled "TideFans.com" they have posted. May or may not be the norm but seems a few respect our forum and the general poster knowledge. Many others don't care for our forum rules and view us as toothless inbred hicks who can't use simple math to determine our number of championships, among many other flaws.

Why can't they just talk about the game and express opinion and expectations?

JEEZ!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Out of curiosity I went over to "DirtBurgler" and read the thread titled "TideFans.com" they have posted. May or may not be the norm but seems a few respect our forum and the general poster knowledge. Many others don't care for our forum rules and view us as toothless inbred hicks who can't use simple math to determine our number of championships, among many other flaws.

Why can't they just talk about the game and express opinion and expectations?

JEEZ!
It's just a case of "boys, behaving badly" (and being egged on by their peers). Not one out of a hundred knows that the NCAA recognizes 15 of the total. (They recognize champion and co-champions named by any reputable organization in the pre-poll era.) The disparagers are generally too lazy to do any research...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That will be interesting.
Before contact with Europeans, the native bands living in what is now Oklahoma were Wichitas, Caddos, Plains Apaches* (currently the Apache Tribe), and the Quapaws. The federal government took the land from them and sold it to the Five Civilized Nations (Choctaws, Cherokees, Creeks, Chickasaws and Seminoles). Who owns that land? I am not sure, but unraveling that knot is going to be difficult.

Maybe the University Formerly of Oklahoma (UFO?), can become the University of North Texas. Oops. That one is already taken. UFO it is, I suppose.
You know I got curious and did a little digging. The states are neck and neck in per capita income, with OK coming in at 37th and Alabama at 40th. (I'm sure both would like to be higher.) OTOH, OK has nothing to match Huntsville's high tech center (2nd or 3rd in the country, depending on how you count), nothing to match Birmingham's medical complex and Alabama is the country's fastest gainer in auto-manufacturing jobs, and easily in the top ten. OK counters with the same linchpin - petroleum. If I had to make a bet on which state would be ahead in 20 years, my money would be on Alabama...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It's just a case of "boys, behaving badly" (and being egged on by their peers). Not one out of a hundred knows that the NCAA recognizes 15 of the total. (They recognize champion and co-champions named by any reputable organization in the pre-poll era.) The disparagers are generally too lazy to do any research...
The last time i checked - and it's been a while, the NCAA recognized Alabama with 21 or so titles. (counting 2017, it is 21: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2017/FBS.pdf)

The only one that Alabama claims that is in any real dispute is 1941. That's another argument for another day.

Any other dispute with those claimed is really just sour grapes. Period.

If I counted correctly, the NCAA recognizes 14 for OU. They claim seven, including 1950.

Every school has its own criteria for claiming titles and every fan base seems to think their way is superior.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I lost some relatives to the Trail. My GGP Self were born in Bear's Village, Cherokee Territory, near present day Guntersville, AL, in 1822 and 1828...
I've been duck hunting on Lake Guntersville. What a spectacular place! I was shocked by how many different species of duck fly into that area.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've been duck hunting on Lake Guntersville. What a spectacular place! I was shocked by how many different species of duck fly into that area.
Yes. We're primarily Mississippi Flyway, but we get a little of everything. Thanksgiving, my wife had a cold a little too bad to drive from Huntsville over to Decatur to my nephew's house for the celebration. My daughter drove me over. She's a very serious birder who lives most of the time in the SF Bay area. As we drove over the causeway, short of the Decatur bridge, she starts shouting "Bufflehead, Bufflehead!" "I can't believe I saw a Bufflehead." My response was to get her eyes back on the road... :D

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When I was in Alabama this past summer my wife took me out to Guntersville Lake for the day. Most of North Alabama was flat farmland with pine trees and red clay, but the area near the lake, and the lake itself, was paradise.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
When I was in Alabama this past summer my wife took me out to Guntersville Lake for the day. Most of North Alabama was flat farmland with pine trees and red clay, but the area near the lake, and the lake itself, was paradise.
Northeast Alabama is actually very mountainous but you are right about Lake Guntersville and the Tennessee River—it’s beautiful. Look me up the next time you’re here, I’m only 35 miles away.;)

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
My dad and I were fishing on Guntersville lake and we ran out of gas right at dusk. I was scared to death because I was 5 years old and it was very dark! My mom was to say the least was really PO'd when we finally got back to the dock. We had a big mess of fish and I never realized that my dad had drank a mess of beer! My mom realized it however.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.