Oh boy! Now it's the Sooners and academics...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Northeast Alabama is actually very mountainous but you are right about Lake Guntersville and the Tennessee River—it’s beautiful. Look me up the next time you’re here, I’m only 35 miles away.;)
I agree - as we left Huntsville and drove further east - well, it was like we were in a completely different part of the country. I drove thousands of miles throughout the state during about a 3 week period in September this year and most of the state is the same, but up there is was stunning.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
My dad and I were fishing on Guntersville lake and we ran out of gas right at dusk. I was scared to death because I was 5 years old and it was very dark! My mom was to say the least was really PO'd when we finally got back to the dock. We had a big mess of fish and I never realized that my dad had drank a mess of beer! My mom realized it however.
Back in the day I fished the river from Scottsboro to Wheeler Dam. Some of the most beautiful stretches of water anywhere. In fact the Tennessee River from Alcoa, TN to the Land Between the Lakes at the Ohio River is the most beautiful waterway at least in the Southeast US. The route of our company plane often took us over the Land Between the Lakes and it was always incredible to see the confluence of the Tennessee and Cumberland into the Ohio.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I agree - as we left Huntsville and drove further east - well, it was like we were in a completely different part of the country. I drove thousands of miles throughout the state during about a 3 week period in September this year and most of the state is the same, but up there is was stunning.
I absolutely love it. Born and raised here. Of course, I'm partial to eastern Tennessee as well. The Great Smokey Mountains are absolutely stunning. The only thing worthwhile in the state of Tennessee, IMO.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Born in Guntersville in 1962 and have lived in Marshall county, Guntersville, Gunters Mountain, Arab, back on Gunters Mountain, (Swearengin community), till this day. My ashes will be spread out into the lake one day soon! My mom was raised in Ohio after being born in Boaz, graduated from Woodville Ohio not far from Toledo, my wife has family living in Medina.

My wife and I took my mom to her 50 something class reunion a few years back and stayed in Port Clinton. Enjoyed our visit to Ohio tremendously and would love to go back one day. Yeah Ohio state was the reigning CFP champions but nothing but respect for us Bama fans!! Ate breakfast in Columbus on our way home!! :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When I was in Alabama this past summer my wife took me out to Guntersville Lake for the day. Most of North Alabama was flat farmland with pine trees and red clay, but the area near the lake, and the lake itself, was paradise.
Try to get up to Huntsville the next time you come. You may be surprised...

Sooner

Dec 14, 2018
Funny - I grew up in Odessa Texas. The only blatant cheating that I was aware of in recruiting back then (mid 70’s) was when the oldest of the Shepards (Darrell) was being recruited by Oklahoma. The week after an official visit to Norman he was driving around town in a brand new TransAm with Darrell written across the spoiler. We all knew where it came from...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, newbie Sooner fan here who had to respond to this particular post. First though, I must say that one of the most annoying things I find on message boards is so called "academic smack" and I apologize that people on the OU boards went there.

However, my other issue is with misinformation posted on message boards about rival teams. And this particular post is exactly that.

Darrell Shepard (the player mentioned) was given the Trans Am by backers of the University of Houston..............and that's who he signed with. The NCAA investigated the Trans Am and put Houston on probation. Shepard was ruled ineligible for bowl play and he then transferred to Oklahoma where his older brother was a senior on the team. It's truly amazing how much stuff Texans make up about the OU program.

https://newsok.com/article/1967863/shepards-story-a-study-in-irony
In the fall of 1977 Shepard was newly wed and newly enrolled at the University of Houston, where he seemed destined for a glorious career as the Cougars' quarterback. His new Pontiac Trans Am, a graduation gift from his mother, was still under warranty.
Then a story broke in a Dallas newspaper. Shepard's mother, it was revealed, had received help from Houston coach Bill Yeoman in landing a loan with which to buy the car. An NCAA investigation confirmed the violation while turning up other irregularities in the way Houston recruited Shepard.
The Cougars spent the rest of 1977 on probation. Soon afterward, Shepard was informed he could not participate in a bowl game as long as he played for Houston. The shining star had flickered out.
And I also wanted to apologize for our fans who have gone the "inbred, bumkin" route on the board. Lord knows we get that from Texans all the time.

As for the game itself, as an OU fan I'm concerned about you all having really good balance on offense. It's going to be a "pick your poison" type of deal against you all. As for OU on offense, Bama may be able to shut down the run without having to sell out to it. Our backs are good but not Rodney Anderson caliber. The funny thing about it is, if Rodney Anderson had played all year OU would likely be undefeated................. but Tua would have won the Heisman. Rodney Anderson would have cut into Kyler's stats quite a bit. So if you guys want to blame anybody for costing Tua the Heisman.........blame Rodney. :biggrin2:

Take care and thanks for hosting us Sooners on your board.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hi, newbie Sooner fan here who had to respond to this particular post. First though, I must say that one of the most annoying things I find on message boards is so called "academic smack" and I apologize that people on the OU boards went there.

However, my other issue is with misinformation posted on message boards about rival teams. And this particular post is exactly that.

Darrell Shepard (the player mentioned) was given the Trans Am by backers of the University of Houston..............and that's who he signed with. The NCAA investigated the Trans Am and put Houston on probation. Shepard was ruled ineligible for bowl play and he then transferred to Oklahoma where his older brother was a senior on the team. It's truly amazing how much stuff Texans make up about the OU program.

And I also wanted to apologize for our fans who have gone the "inbred, bumkin" route on the board. Lord knows we get that from Texans all the time.

As for the game itself, as an OU fan I'm concerned about you all having really good balance on offense. It's going to be a "pick your poison" type of deal against you all. As for OU on offense, Bama may be able to shut down the run without having to sell out to it. Our backs are good but not Rodney Anderson caliber. The funny thing about it is, if Rodney Anderson had played all year OU would likely be undefeated................. but Tua would have won the Heisman. Rodney Anderson would have cut into Kyler's stats quite a bit. So if you guys want to blame anybody for costing Tua the Heisman.........blame Rodney. :biggrin2:

This is the reason that the Alabama AD adopted a policy years ago of vetting every car title all the way back and verifying financing, no matter the crap coming from other ignorant fan bases. No reason for the NCAA even to investigate, because the books are open...

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Thanks for setting me straight. I went to Permian and all we knew back then was that Darrell all of a sudden had a new car. We all figured it came from Oklahoma but that’s probably because everyone I hung out with in high school were UT fans.

You probably remember my classmate Daryl Hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sooners918

Dec 15, 2018
On yet another Sooner board, it's speculation that our players are dumber, don't go to class, football factory, paid, etc., etc. Do any of these goons ever do any research? Or just go off blind prejudice. We emphasize academics more than any schools outside the Stanfords. It's Saban's main recruiting tool. If they ever read anywhere, they need to read this:

LINK

Every fanbase has idiots. Most sooner fans have respect for the bama program. Tired of you guys winning but there is respect for the greatness of the program

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Yes. We're primarily Mississippi Flyway, but we get a little of everything. Thanksgiving, my wife had a cold a little too bad to drive from Huntsville over to Decatur to my nephew's house for the celebration. My daughter drove me over. She's a very serious birder who lives most of the time in the SF Bay area. As we drove over the causeway, short of the Decatur bridge, she starts shouting "Bufflehead, Bufflehead!" "I can't believe I saw a Bufflehead." My response was to get her eyes back on the road... :D
It is a good thing she did not see a Whooping Crane. There is a project to teach cranes raised in captivity to migrate south to Florida, but some have decided to hang around Decatur instead.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.