Oh boy! Now it's the Sooners and academics...

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
All this hate comes out of fear of knowing they have to play Bama. If the OK fans knew they had to play Tulane or Western Kentucky do you think they would be doing all this trash talking? No

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
Fan talk, nothing more. Sooner fans know that whatever Tide fan posted the picture of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building explosion and titled it: Oklahoma knows all about getting blown out" is an internet clown and not a true Tide fan.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
...and sorry for that. There's no room for that anywhere, I don't care what the situation is. Embarrassed.
Fan talk, nothing more. Sooner fans know that whatever Tide fan posted the picture of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building explosion and titled it: Oklahoma knows all about getting blown out" is an internet clown and not a true Tide fan.

Rodger Dodger

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2018
Then there was the poisoning of the trees. Some fans just can't see the fun in a game.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I've had lunch with Billy. He's an okay dude. Not sure how he got started on his annoying "Boomer" thing during the Heisman celebrations but other than that he's alright.
The guy has a very succccessful chain of BB Q restaurants, so he’s not stupid. But he looks like a total goofball in that Oklahoma blazer/sport coat that he wears.

Im assuming that Gary Danielson knows Billy pretty well too(they played together with the Detroit Lions). I bet he could tell some stories.

Rodger Dodger

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2018
Roger, Roger...revisionist history. I'm sure OU and their fans have never done anything to embarrass themselves or the University.
Please, keep going...
Just attending the OU/Texas game puts a quash on any idea that OU fans (or Texas fans) are angels. There was a time that if you were in an elevator and the door opened, you had to be prepared to answer OU or Texas to a gang of thugs staring at you. Answer wrong, and you got the crap kicked out of you. That kind of behavior has actually lessened over the years. It used to be real bad.

Last edited:

Rodger Dodger

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2018
The guy has a very succccessful chain of BB Q restaurants, so he’s not stupid. But he looks like a total goofball in that Oklahoma blazer/sport coat that he wears.
Actually, I like the sports coat. It's nice to see an old timer who still has that college spirit going. Far too many put the college in their rear view mirror. But Billy is all about OU football.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Also, I think in most degree programs...most classes on any campus really...if you show up and listen then you are probably going to do no worse than a C.
Graduated from U of A in Accounting. I showed up and I listened, and I worked hard. Still could never do much better than a C, with a handful of B's mixed in. I agree with you: showing up and showing that you are working hard counts for a lot, but it's not gonna make the best accountants nor the best college football players. You still have to be "equipped" to do well in those fields, some God-given talents, and a good "fit" for you as a person. I wasn't a good fit for accounting, and I often wish professors had failed me out if I didn't deserve the C, or told me to switch majors. Someone, anyone.

It made for a pretty miserable first 10 years out of college, and a slightly better last 10 years.

For the non-accountants, it's been now 20 (10+10) years since I graduated. :D

Back to calling out the Sooners, which I approve of.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That Bama and OU are in the same ballpark academically.
Now, if Sooners has some specific allegation to make, they should do it, rather than hiding behind unsubstantiated rumors. Better to to shut their pinholes than to make themselves look jealous and stupid.
Sometimes, the general rankings, which I looked at, can be a bit misleading. UA is in a process of rapid growth. (Its enrollment is around 38K vs. 22K+ for OU.) That makes it difficult to catch up to some critical criteria which US News weights heavily, such as teacher/pupil ratio. However, when you look at little more closely, the picture becomes clearer. UA's law school is ranked 27th in the country, public and private. OU's is a distant 63rd. In medical schools, UA's system in Birmingham ranks 32nd. Again, OU's is a distant 82nd. These are mind-boggling gaps. I would add that it's much, much easier to get admitted to OU, with an acceptance rate of 74%, as opposed to Bama's 56%. The Merit Scholar programs in the two schools are heading in drastically different directions. Also, with the $38 million gift to the law school, I expect a quantum leap in that area. These kinds of stats make it a little hard to take when barely literate keyboard warriors disparage both your school and your football team's outstanding and unique academic program...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Sometimes, the general rankings, which I looked at, can be a bit misleading. UA is in a process of rapid growth. (Its enrollment is around 38K vs. 22K+ for OU.) That makes it difficult to catch up to some critical criteria which US News weights heavily, such as teacher/pupil ratio. However, when you look at little more closely, the picture becomes clearer. UA's law school is ranked 27th in the country, public and private. OU's is a distant 63rd. In medical schools, UA's system in Birmingham ranks 32nd. Again, OU's is a distant 82nd. These are mind-boggling gaps. I would add that it's much, much easier to get admitted to OU, with an acceptance rate of 74%, as opposed to Bama's 56%. The Merit Scholar programs in the two schools are heading in drastically different directions. Also, with the $38 million gift to the law school, I expect a quantum leap in that area. These kinds of stats make it a little hard to take when barely literate keyboard warriors disparage both your school and your football team's outstanding and unique academic program...
Thanks. One of the odd things that USNWR does is to calculate using the cost of tuition and the successful employment of graduates.
Service academies (a) cost students nothing and (b) employ 99.9% of the graduating class 30 days after graduation. Of course, this puts USMA, USNA and USAFA at/near the top, but that is deceptive. They are all good schools, (they ought to be as well-funded as they are), but they are not near the top 20 of public colleges and universities.
USNWR thinks they are being patriotic by throwing the academies a bone, so they let it go without comment.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thanks. One of the odd things that USNWR does is to calculate using the cost of tuition and the successful employment of graduates.
Service academies (a) cost students nothing and (b) employ 99.9% of the graduating class 30 days after graduation. Of course, this puts USMA, USNA and USAFA at/near the top, but that is deceptive. They are all good schools, (they ought to be as well-funded as they are), but they are not near the top 20 of public colleges and universities.
USNWR thinks they are being patriotic by throwing the academies a bone, so they let it go without comment.
They weight different factors. Just on the law school alone, here is BusinessInsider's ranking of public law schools. OU is not present among the top 25. UA is 3rd in the country...

LINK

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
If there were ever a subject about which the arguers knew virtually nothing, this is it. I hear this argument a great deal up here in NC.
Let me give you an example:
I graduated from Wake Forest. Yes, Wake Foresters tell me that the average student at Wake is academically slightly above the average student at Alabama (SAT Scores, etc). My reply, yes, the average may be slightly higher. However, with 38,000 students Alabama has far more top students than does Wake Forest. Probably several times as many top students as Wake Forest. My Ph.D. is from the University of Virginia. Interestingly, there are only three people in this county who are UVa alums. And two of them live in my home (My wife and me). So I don't hear that much from Virginia folks. UNC people can't say too much after the African American Studies debacle.
It's like the perennial argument about who cheats. I get sick of the Auburn board because their only excuse for losing to Alabama is that Alabama cheats and Auburn doesn't. Can you believe that horse manure? What if the only reason you could give for losing to someone is that they cheat and you don't? Pathetic! All things considered-academics, coaching, campus life, facilities, reputation, (insert any measurement device)- why would any kid choose Auburn over Alabama, especially a football player? I suppose we could ask Cam Newton why he chose Auburn. I bet he would say it was because of the stimulating in-class discussions on classical vs. quantum mechanics.
I have already prepared myself to explain a loss (Heaven forbid) in the playoffs as Oklahoma cheats and we don't. Or Clemson cheats and we don't. And how about them refs? Haven't you noticed that every one of them grew up in either Oklahoma City, South Bend or Greenville, SC?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I haven't heard it phrased like that before, but I like it. I plan to use that in the future.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
What’s the total endowment figure for UA vs OU? I would think that OU is very well monied, given their alumni base connected to the petroleum industry.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
What’s the total endowment figure for UA vs OU? I would think that OU is very well monied, given their alumni base connected to the petroleum industry.
They’re very well-endowed. $1.65 billion according to Wikipedia. Alabama’s is about a $1 billion smaller. Is it too much to expect Jimmy Wales either to narrow the gap, or to alter the info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sevenmm

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 16, 2018
Lots of good information on this thread; I swear though I don't know where some of the anti Bama stuff comes from; I've never seen some of those OU sites claimed they come from; they probably exist, but sure aren't the top tier ones for OU, I do know that. Any reason to get upset and chippy at the opponent will usually do though I don't like seeing these two fan bases go at each other.
Besides the real "hicks" and other non disclosed names that are not complimentary is in no way meant for Bama or its fans, the Sooner who wrote that got his threads mixed up surely as those things are meant for LSU and its fan base; Our fans (OU) almost to a person have stated time and again for years now, the LSU fans were the absolute worst they have ever seen or been around, bar none; I haven't been around them but from the stories I was told later, they sounded much like the San Diego St. fans; where groups of 20ish age guys would gang up on elderly couples in the parking lot after the game and curse them, throw liquids on them, et al.
For me, I took a couple on while in the stadium and though bigger than me they backed down as I expected.....anyway, all this to say, enjoy the reading here by a very literate football group, as are we, that makes it that much better....but really the only statistic or data that matters is the numbers of the final score.........good, bad or indifferent, those numbers will live past us all. I've said before and I mean it still, I hope the best team does not win this game..........GO SOONERS !!!!

(pray no key injuries or career injuries, for either team)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.