Alabama in "Games That Matter" since 2008...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Given our upcoming opponent, a fair bit of talk has been made about whether Alabama "cared" about facing the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl. Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps they cared enough once the game rolled around but not enough during prep and practice time. Who knows? (Actually, the players do and some did speak to that point.)

Anyway, this post is not addressing that nor arguing one way or the other.

However, it is interesting to look at Alabama's record since the beginning of the 2008 season in games that matter, i.e., games played when Alabama still had a legitimate chance to end up playing for the National Championship by winning the rest of their games.

Overall: 135 - 11 (92.5%)

Versus AP Top 5 Teams: 16 - 5 (76.2%)

Versus AP Top 25 Teams: 56 - 11 (83.6%)

Versus Out-of-Conference Power 5 Teams: 17 - 2 (89.5%)

And here are the losses in each season that ended that season's run of games that matter:

2008: Florida - SECCG (Eventual National Champion)
2009: No one - Alabama is National Champion
2010: LSU
2011: No one - Alabama is National Champion
2012: No one - Alabama is National Champion
2013: Barn (Played for NC and lost)
2014: Ohio State (Eventual National Champion)
2015: No one - Alabama is National Champion
2016: Clemson CFPCG (Eventual National Champion)
2017: No one - Alabama is National Champion

In case you're wondering, Alabama has played in a total of six games since the start of the 2008 season where it was unable to control its own destiny, i.e., win out and play for / win the National Championship, and four of those came in the 2010 season. Alabama has a record of 3-3 in those games.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
Someday...in the future (hopefully not the near future)...we will all look back on this era of Nick Saban and just marvel at what he brought to us.
I am grateful and awestruck and thankful and happy and what ever positive adjective you can attach to it. We are truly blessed to be where we are.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Given our upcoming opponent, a fair bit of talk has been made about whether Alabama "cared" about facing the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl. Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps they cared enough once the game rolled around but not enough during prep and practice time. Who knows? (Actually, the players do and some did speak to that point.)

Anyway, this post is not addressing that nor arguing one way or the other.

However, it is interesting to look at Alabama's record since the beginning of the 2008 season in games that matter, i.e., games played when Alabama still had a legitimate chance to end up playing for the National Championship by winning the rest of their games.

Overall: 135 - 11 (92.5%)

Versus AP Top 5 Teams: 16 - 5 (76.2%)

Versus AP Top 25 Teams: 56 - 11 (83.6%)

Versus Out-of-Conference Power 5 Teams: 17 - 2 (89.5%)

And here are the losses in each season that ended that season's run of games that matter:

2008: Florida - SECCG (Eventual National Champion)
2009: No one - Alabama is National Champion
2010: LSU
2011: No one - Alabama is National Champion
2012: No one - Alabama is National Champion
2013: Barn (Played for NC and lost)
2014: Ohio State (Eventual National Champion)
2015: No one - Alabama is National Champion
2016: Clemson CFPCG (Eventual National Champion)
2017: No one - Alabama is National Champion

In case you're wondering, Alabama has played in a total of six games since the start of the 2008 season where it was unable to control its own destiny, i.e., win out and play for / win the National Championship, and four of those came in the 2010 season. Alabama has a record of 3-3 in those games.
love a good nerd post! bravo!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I was tempted to give an answer of ALL OF THEM.
BUT...
Some games always mean more to me.
LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma.
I list these teams because they can give us a run for our money, Maybe???
Even when unranked they play above their ranking when they play Alabama.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I always thought Coach used the Utah and OU games as prep for next season. But when he went after Mich State in 2010, it was completely designed as a message game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I always thought Coach used the Utah and OU games as prep for next season. But when he went after Mich State in 2010, it was completely designed as a message game.
You also have to remember that Saban had extra motivation to beat the team that he used to coach. No animosity - just ego.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
If I remember correctly MSU was pretty chatty too. That 2010 was LOADED. That game proved how good they were when they were locked in. That team could absolutely go toe to toe with this bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.