Harvard Gender Pay Gap Study

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Why Do Women Earn Less Than Men? Evidence from Bus and Train Operators

Women make $.89 for every dollar the men make, but there is a reason.

We use confidential administrative data on bus and train operators from the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) to show that the weekly earnings gap can be explained by the workplace choices that women and men make. Women value time away from work and flexibility more than men, taking more unpaid time off using the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and working fewer overtime hours than men.
This study looks like the authors used a union environment in Boston (same jobs, same pay, etc.) and accounted for the seniority, promotion, etc. The base wage by tenure chart is on page 83.

I wonder how many of the women in the study were the primary providers of care for children (or elders) in their family versus how many men were the primary care providers. If, in your family, you've got primary responsibility for the kids (or the elderly), you can't accept short-notice overtime.

Last edited:

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Why Do Women Earn Less Than Men? Evidence from Bus and Train Operators

Women make $.89 for every dollar the men make, but there is a reason.

This study looks like the authors used a union environment in Boston (same jobs, same pay, etc.) and accounted for the seniority, promotion, etc. The base wage by tenure chart is on page 83.

I wonder how many of the women in the study were the primary providers of care for children (or elders) in their family versus how many men were the primary care providers. If, in your family, you've got primary responsibility for the kids (or the elderly), you can't accept short-notice overtime.
Not just overtime. For a while, I made more than my husband. And very nearly lost a great paying job because most employers don't exactly appreciate having to leave immediately due to a sick kid, or missing work because of the same. Luckily I was able to work from home sometimes and had a very understanding boss.
I didn't lose the job, but we knew long ago that his career was more lucrative than mine, so I was the one to miss work. Now I'm home with them.
When it's time for promotions or bonuses, the person who has to leave, or misses work more, will get passed over, no matter what gender.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.