Link: D.J. Durkin Helping Behind the Scenes at Alabama

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

[FONT=&quot]Former Maryland head coach D.J. Durkin, fired in October after a lengthy investigation into the death of one of his players, has resurfaced at Alabama.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In his first foray back into football since his October firing, Durkin has been helping Alabama this past week in a consultant-like capacity, sources told AL.com. It’s unclear at this point if Durkin could have a long-term role on Nick Saban’s Alabama staff though, according to sources.[/FONT]

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think a rehab analyst stint is gonna wash him clean of his priors. Would rather he stay well off the field if he's going to be here and definitely nowhere near the player's S&C.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Fairly certain we have a handle on practice tempo and player Safety, so I'm sure he's consulting in regards to another matter.

How great is it to have the best college football coach in modern history, who also understands that he doesn't know everything about football and is willing to learn more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't think a rehab analyst stint is gonna wash him clean of his priors. Would rather he stay well off the field if he's going to be here and definitely nowhere near the player's S&C.
To be fair, it has been said the same about Butch Jones, Lane Kiffin, Mike Locksley..... so if he can help us in some ways.. Go for it. Saban isn't going to let anyone ruin the program at Alabama.

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
I live close to the U of Md. The very lengthy investigation found that Durkin was NOT responsible and did NOT have a toxic culture. His trainer and another assistant coach were completely negligent in pushing the player to exhaustion and not getting him hydrated or to the hospital for many hours after he began to show severe symptoms. But Durkin was involved only to the extent he was the top man...thus the backlash to hold him accountable. Can't see how having him as an analyst or even an assistant would pose a danger to any of the players. He is a very sharp coach and great recruiter.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
To be fair, it has been said the same about Butch Jones, Lane Kiffin, Mike Locksley..... so if he can help us in some ways.. Go for it. Saban isn't going to let anyone ruin the program at Alabama.
^^^ THIS ... if he's proven anything, he's proven he knows how to utilize persons that have had controversial/trouble at outer programs for the best of the program. The only one to my knowledge who could have been problematic while here was CLK ... but that was the best honestly we could have expected from CLK with any program.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
^^^ THIS ... if he's proven anything, he's proven he knows how to utilize persons that have had controversial/trouble at outer programs for the best of the program. The only one to my knowledge who could have been problematic while here was CLK ... but that was the best honestly we could have expected from CLK with any program.
Agreed. Kiffin is a misfit at just about every program. He's perfect where he's at right now (FAU). I wouldn't put Durkin or the other coaches mentioned into his category.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I live close to the U of Md. The very lengthy investigation found that Durkin was NOT responsible and did NOT have a toxic culture. His trainer and another assistant coach were completely negligent in pushing the player to exhaustion and not getting him hydrated or to the hospital for many hours after he began to show severe symptoms. But Durkin was involved only to the extent he was the top man...thus the backlash to hold him accountable. Can't see how having him as an analyst or even an assistant would pose a danger to any of the players. He is a very sharp coach and great recruiter.
Careful with this. Remember, Ohio State released a similar statement about Meyer. Sometimes you find what you want to find, and I am pretty sure that the committee at OSU found a lot less than you or I would have found.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Careful with this. Remember, Ohio State released a similar statement about Meyer. Sometimes you find what you want to find, and I am pretty sure that the committee at OSU found a lot less than you or I would have found.
Yeah. I remember a tweet about the report that said something along the lines of "If you have to release a 192 page report to prove you don't have a toxic culture, you probably have a toxic culture."

There was enough referenced that pointed to Durkin being at fault more than they publicly acknowledged.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I don’t think UM should have fired him anyway. There have been many deaths due to heat throughout the history of football and I don’t ever remember the head coach getting fired, until now.

Our culture is just very vengeful right now. Every incident/accident must end with someone paying a huge price. The investigation found that he was not negligent but, he still got fired because of the angry mob. I don’t think that is right and I’m getting sick and tired of this part of our culture.

Anyway, since I don’t think he should have been fired in the first place, I’ve got no problem with him helping Bama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don’t think UM should have fired him anyway. There have been many deaths due to heat throughout the history of football and I don’t ever remember the head coach getting fired, until now.

Our culture is just very vengeful right now. Every incident/accident must end with someone paying a huge price. The investigation found that he was not negligent but, he still got fired because of the angry mob. I don’t think that is right and I’m getting sick and tired of this part of our culture.

Anyway, since I don’t think he should have been fired in the first place, I’ve got no problem with him helping Bama.
There was more to it than just the death.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The reality - he did not get fired because this player died. He was fired because he directly delayed treatment, which led to his death. Everyone here understands the risks of heat injuries, but there was a clear failure in this program, and this death might have been prevented.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
What happened at Maryland was absolutely tragic. A player dying with today's technology is ridiculous. But the reality is, and guys who have played football know, locker room cultures are brutal. It's an alpha male sport and sometimes people cross the line. Bullying cultures exist everywhere in the sport. I know because I've experienced it first hand when media coverage wasn't so prevalent.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
And of course, kudos to Saban for putting them in his Coaches' (Mis)Step Reform Program and rehabilitating them!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To clarify my opinion - if Saban thinks that Durkin can help Alabama win, then Saban will get exactly what he needs from Durkin without exposing the school to any risk. Win/Win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.