Different Realities: Discrepancies in Sooner & Tide Fans Viewpoints

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I got those numbers from CBS, but I agree that they are wrong because this post prompted me to do the calculation myself.

For those who want to know the formula, it is [(8.4*yards)+(330*TDs)+(100*Comp)-(200*Ints)]/Attempts

I double checked your stats for those games and they were correct. I ran the formula against those numbers and here is what the math produced:

Fromm - 190.3
Murray - 188.9

Funny that I got the same calculation for Murray, but not for Fromm. Not sure what you did wrong, but I did the calculation 3 times and got 190.3 each time. Feel free to run the numbers again.

Finally, the UMass game - Fromm barely played. He threw only 5 passes, had only 106 yards in that game, and only 1 TD. Yeah, it moved his score up about 7 points. But he also had games against Kentucky, Auburn and Alabama in there. Those games, against very good defenses, really hurt his score.

So, once again, Fromm was the best QB in the second half of the season. It negates many of your posts in this thread. I know that it hurts, but it is a straight fact.

Murray is the best QB in the history of history - and that is a scientific fact!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Earlier in the thread a sooner touted the OU defense as being better, statistically, than 5 defenses we've played. I find this claim amazing/puzzling - considering we've played 13 games - as simple math, that even Alabama grads can do (but someone might want to check me) - means we've played 8 defenses better than Oklahoma's. I doubt it takes much research to find the answer to this question but I'll ask it (rhetorically) anyway: how many defenses has OU played that are better than Alabama's? The answer certainly won't be 8, or even 5.
Alabama's defense S&P+ ranking is 8. The highest ranked opponent for OU is TCU at 23.

To further show highlight the point OU fans seem to misunderstand about their defense:

Clemson defense S&P+ ranking: 1
Notre Dame defense S&P+ ranking: 4
Alabama defense S&P+ ranking: 8
Oklahoma defense S&P+ ranking: 89

No one (logical that is) is saying the Sooner defense is the worst defense in the history of the sport or in the nation for this season. The point here is how bad the defense is for a national title contending team.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Selmaborntidefan, that's a nice detailed football discussion. I appreciate it and I really can't disagree with many of your points.

I will say that prior to playing UGA last year, all we heard was that we were going to get snuffed by a real SEC defense. When UGA started their surge, I feel we got too conservative for a time in the second half. You're kidding yourself if you think OU had zero offense in the 4th quarter and overtime. I think most Sooners believe we should have won that game!
Mayfield threw a pick on the first play of the fourth quarter. It was returned 39 yards, so should I call that one -39?

I don't think they do that, but it WAS the offense that gave up those 39 yards right there.

In the fourth qtr and overtime you ran 26 plays for 147 yards and scored 10 points.
If I subtract the 39 yards your offense cost you, OU ran 27 plays for 108 yards and had a net gain on offense of +3, since the turnover led directly to a UGA TD.

So yeah, I'd say holding an offense that had 385 yards in three quarters to a net of 107 in a quarter plus two overtimes - and few points - would be considered good.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here are the defense S&P+ rankings for each playoff team since it started (order is based on seeding and CFP final teams in bold):

Alabama #5 (16.1)
Oregon #39 (24.5)
Florida State #38 (24.4)
Ohio State #14 (19.5)

Clemson #6 (16.0)
Alabama #1 (9.0)

Michigan State #13 (19.3)
Oklahoma #22 (21.3)

Alabama #1 (5.9)
Clemson #6 (13.8)

Ohio State #5 (13.6)
Washington #8 (17.9)

Clemson #2 (13.9)
Oklahoma #101 (32.2)
Georgia #11 (19.2)
Alabama #1 (13.8)

Alabama #8 (16.1)
Clemson #1 (12.8)
Notre Dame #4 (14.4)
Oklahoma #89 (31.1)

Really, the ranking from last year appears to blow the "they're a young, talented group" narrative out of the water. They were just as bad last year.

Trjtrjtrj

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2018
I got those numbers from CBS, but I agree that they are wrong because this post prompted me to do the calculation myself.

For those who want to know the formula, it is [(8.4*yards)+(330*TDs)+(100*Comp)-(200*Ints)]/Attempts

I double checked your stats for those games and they were correct. I ran the formula against those numbers and here is what the math produced:

Fromm - 190.3
Murray - 188.9

Funny that I got the same calculation for Murray, but not for Fromm. Not sure what you did wrong, but I did the calculation 3 times and got 190.3 each time. Feel free to run the numbers again.

Finally, the UMass game - Fromm barely played. He threw only 5 passes, had only 106 yards in that game, and only 1 TD. Yeah, it moved his score up about 7 points. But he also had games against Kentucky, Auburn and Alabama in there. Those games, against very good defenses, really hurt his score.
So, once again, Fromm was the best QB in the second half of the season. It negates many of your posts in this thread. I know that it hurts, but it is a straight fact.
Hmmm. I simply plugged in the correct numbers into this site and hit the "NCAA" button:

http://www.primecomputing.com/

I still get that Murray edged out Fromm using the above site, so I plugged them into another site:

https://captaincalculator.com/sports/football/ncaa-passer-rating-calculator/

The second site also gets the lower answer for Fromm.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
5) The Discussed Storyline: The SEC is head-and-shoulders better than the Big XII in football.

A Sooner’s Viewpoint: Those living in SEC country probably don’t realize the amount of hype that some media outlets shovel about the greatness of the SEC, and it's no surprise when you run into football fans from other conferences if the discussion turns to chagrin about how the SEC promotion. Certainly Bama has earned special recognition, but is the rest of the conference really head-and-shoulders better than other conferences? When Mizzu and Texas A&M went from Big XII to SEC – they remained at the same level or actually improved their in-conference records. That wouldn’t happen if the SEC was head-and-shoulders above the Big XII. [When comparing the last 3 years of Big XII play with the first 3 years of SEC play -- Mizzu went from a 15-10 record with 0 division championships in Big XII play to 16-8 and and 2 division championships in SEC; TAMU went from 13-12 in Big-XII to 13-11 in SEC]

[/INDENT]
So there's definitely some discrepancies among fan bases. It will be interesting to see how the game plays out.
I won’t get into the other stuff that you mentioned, as it has been discussed by others, but this paragraph is a common misguided stat from BIG12 fans. Truth is that both schools stepped up their game when they entered the SEC. TO WIT : TEXAS A&M smacked BIG 12 co champion OKLAHOMA 41-13 after the 2012 season and MIZZOU handled BIG12 ‘tied for second ‘ team Okie lite 41-31 after the 2013 season . MIZZOU’s division titles were more about SEC east failings than MIZZOUs rise to power as all the major players in the east hit major down cycles. The west was still solid though.

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
General question for the group: How many of us from this site go to other fan message boards to explain to them why we are going to beat them and why they are wrong about everything they think they know about college football?

The only one thing I will say in OU's somewhat defense is that maybe, just maybe, the reason their defense and the defenses of the rest of the Big 12 look so poor statistically is that they are always facing off against offenses that are up tempo, high flying attacks, or maybe just better in general. I have not looked up anything to back that up, but it might be true. Playing better offenses will make your defense look statistically bad.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Re: Different Realities: Discrepancies in Sooner & Tide Fans Viewpoints

Hello, one of the "eeyores" on this site, though I like to consider myself a slightly pessimistic realistic.

I do think that this game will be more difficult than the Bama fans are giving it credit for. I do think that there is an opinion regarding the b12 and OU due to the scores and particularly the defense that OU has had/played against this year.

My thoughts are that with nothing "expected" out of OU, they do have a chance to build a defensive scheme from scratch this month in preparing for the game. I don't think you change anything on the offense. That offense gives OU a punchers chance in any game vs any team they play.

If say the single biggest distance this year between Alabama now vs every Bama team before is our offense. I'm not gonna talk up the QBs cause you can't open a stick of bubble gum without hearing about them. I'm gonna talk about the WRs. Usually Bama has A wide receiver (Cooper, Ridley), a solid tight end, and a running back not bad at catching passes. THE wide receiver, compared to the other receivers, usually has a minimum of twice as many catches, sometimes three or more times the number as the next receiver. This year though......

This year, Alabama’s top five receivers all have had 30 or more catches — Jerry Jeudy (59), Henry Ruggs III (42), Jaylen Waddle (41), Irv Smith, Jr. (38), and DeVonta Smith (30). Smith is a tight end.

They don't mention a running back, Josh Jacobs, maybe my favorite guy on the team, who can catch whatever's thrown to him and usually gets surprising yardage after the fact.

I think this, on paper, gives Bama the edge even if this becomes a shootout situation.

You made some solid points re: assumptions by Bama fans. I don't believe the OU defense that played all season long will be the one that shows up at the game. They'll have new wrinkles, delayed blitzes, etc. Different eye candy to try and catch guys off balance.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The only one thing I will say in OU's somewhat defense is that maybe, just maybe, the reason their defense and the defenses of the rest of the Big 12 look so poor statistically is that they are always facing off against offenses that are up tempo, high flying attacks, or maybe just better in general. I have not looked up anything to back that up, but it might be true. Playing better offenses will make your defense look statistically bad.
That's why analytics like S&P+ are so good. They consider opponents, schedule, etc.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
General question for the group: How many of us from this site go to other fan message boards to explain to them why we are going to beat them and why they are wrong about everything they think they know about college football?

To your 1st paragraph: I have accounts on different sites so I do occasionally post on other sites. But this is by far my primary site. I would say about 80% of this board does not have an account on other sites, and about half of that 80% don’t even lurk on those sites.

It’s mostly due to the nature of most sites that many find uncomfortable. They can’t take the amount of smack that many boards encourage or allow. And some just get their feelings hurt after they create a novel of a post that is just smacked around by sarcasm and obnoxious banter. That along with the “We are going to blow you away because you kissed your cousins you dumb idiot gump” kinda remarks that are allowed on many sites.

Point is most here don’t like other sites due to the very loose rules on them and the lack of moderation. To say the least, most don’t want wrestling banter attached to observations.

Paragraph 2: I believe there can be some truth the fact that there are high powered offenses skewing the numbers, but I still find it hard to give this full credit when Kansas scored 40 on Oklahoma and Army took them to overtime.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

As for the bolded part, I gave that up many years ago. They don't want to hear anything logical and react hostilely. What I've gained from the OU boards are stances ranging from they will just blow us away with their offense, strength of defense be damned, to hoping that they can get 3 or 4 stops and pull off a close one. They're impregnable and I don't like wasting my time.

As for the second, it's a bit of both, I think. If your viewing audience doesn't value defense, but only high scoring, then high scoring is what you're going to see. People say the fans don't make any impact. I think that's wrong. In one sense of the word, football tends to be a TV product. The only time you can really see the relative strengths is in games like our upcoming game...

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
The move to high scoring games and expanded play-offs are the result of today's short attention span customer. I'm not talking about true, Informed, know what they are talking about fans. Everyone should get a participation trophy and UCF is undefeated so let's declare ourselves national champions. Today - people who don't know anything about football hate good defensive teams because the game is boring. The pundits are playing right into it because it generates revenue. I don't watch the NBA EVER because it's just evolved into crap. I loved the old days when the Lakers/Celtics/Pistons/Bulls really played the game. I love Defense in Football. To me, watching teams score 60 points on each other is not appealing. Outscoring your opponent is not good football (IMO).

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
At this point, I'm done discussing the game with OU fans - every one of them will "yeah but" the fact that have essentially no defense as if the offense is something mankind has never seen before. I've never seen a fan base so willingly drunk on the koolaid of their offense (specifically their QB).

Yes, they have a chance, but there's a reason that after 13 games they're 14 point underdogs. But they even have an excuse for that. So whatever.

I'm just going to drop out as the lack of rational discussion is maddening.
I agree with this. I can’t waste my time for the next two weeks weeks reading the same arguments over and over.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Just asking for unbiased opinions:

Which team has the better offensive line?

Which team has has better wide receivers?

Which team is better at the tight end position?

Which team is better at the running back position?

Which team is better at the quarterback position?
Which team has the better offensive line? Push

Which team has has better wide receivers? Alabama

Which team is better at the tight end position? Alabama

Which team is better at the running back position? Alabama

Which team is better at the quarterback position? Push

Trjtrjtrj

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2018
The move to high scoring games and expanded play-offs are the result of today's short attention span customer. I'm not talking about true, Informed, know what they are talking about fans. Everyone should get a participation trophy and UCF is undefeated so let's declare ourselves national champions. Today - people who don't know anything about football hate good defensive teams because the game is boring. The pundits are playing right into it because it generates revenue. I don't watch the NBA EVER because it's just evolved into crap. I loved the old days when the Lakers/Celtics/Pistons/Bulls really played the game. I love Defense in Football. To me, watching teams score 60 points on each other is not appealing. Outscoring your opponent is not good football (IMO).
I think media (especially television) definitely plays a part in the gradual shift towards higher scoring games, but I'd put the primary reason on rules changes centered around safety. The changes in kickoffs, helmet contact, protecting a defenseless qb or wr and so on are generally crouched in terms of safety. The exception may be the gradual shift in what gets called pass interference.

Personally, I enjoy the strategy involved. Blitzing and countering blitzes, offensive formations and countering alignments, play calling and so on are fascinating when done at a high level. All these strategies can be seen in either low-scoring or high-scoring games, so I guess it doesn't matter to me how many points go on the board as long as we're not just watching the same play over and over and over.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Isn’t the point of football is to outscore your opponent ;) ***blue***

The problem is that a great defensive performance is holding a team under 30. I mean the Greatest defense Alabama has had ever gave up 75 points to one of the greatest qbs ever in two games. Qbs and offensive minds have evolved to such a degree that they have made the ground and pound and have a great defense on the otherside a flawed strategy. It’s why CNS bringing Kiffin, Daboll, and Locks to Alabama has kept us at the top of the mountain. Had we stayed with the Mac and Nuss concept then you could most likely take two national championships away from our collection.

Steve Spurrier laid out the blue print of how to beat teams like Alabama. His admirers have just expanded on it and have made it normal to see high powered offenses that overwhelm big physical teams with great defenses. CNS adapted and put the pressure back on these offensive gurus. But the norm is now “ defenses don’t win championships but they sure can help”.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Which team has the better offensive line? Push

Which team has has better wide receivers? Alabama

Which team is better at the tight end position? Alabama

Which team is better at the running back position? Alabama

Which team is better at the quarterback position? Push
This is exactly the way I see it.

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
I've always considered myself pretty much a realist when it comes to watching football. I can usually see points of view from both and maybe its just me but I think there has been a shift in OU fans since we played the home and home in the early 2000's. I get it, they score a lot of points, win a lot of Heisman's and even beat us in the sugar bowl so I guess we might as well not even show.

On a less tongue and cheek note, I think Alabama has to fix the issue with the LB's sealing the edges, picking up crossing routes and ID'ing RB's out of the backfield. To me its been an issue all year and Oklahoma has the offensive minded people to exploit it. Mack and Moses have the speed to spy but I have't seen the consistency there

I also really hope the "mental fatigue" thing has been worked out (for those that will say its the playoffs and that alone will pump up the team I could have said the same thing about Auburn and SECCG)

I think Oklahoma can win this game, its one game with ample time to prepare and stranger things have happened. However, I do believe, if OU wins they will get killed by Clemson. Its not the individual teams that make the SEC strong, its the beating you take from week to week. Clemson is every bit as physical as Bama and running that gauntlet would be way too much for OU (being so one-sided) In my opinion

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
As for the bolded part, I gave that up many years ago. They don't want to hear anything logical and react hostilely. What I've gained from the OU boards are stances ranging from they will just blow us away with their offense, strength of defense be damned, to hoping that they can get 3 or 4 stops and pull off a close one. They're impregnable and I don't like wasting my time.

As for the second, it's a bit of both, I think. If your viewing audience doesn't value defense, but only high scoring, then high scoring is what you're going to see. People say the fans don't make any impact. I think that's wrong. In one sense of the word, football tends to be a TV product. The only time you can really see the relative strengths is in games like our upcoming game...
So could one then say that, based on this statement and RTR's stats above showing clearly what teams who go on to win it all look like in terms of defense(#'s 14, 1, 6, and 1, respectively), that these fans care more about scoring than winning championships? Because it sure appears that way to me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.