Different Realities: Discrepancies in Sooner & Tide Fans Viewpoints

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
The move to high scoring games and expanded play-offs are the result of today's short attention span customer. I'm not talking about true, Informed, know what they are talking about fans. Everyone should get a participation trophy and UCF is undefeated so let's declare ourselves national champions. Today - people who don't know anything about football hate good defensive teams because the game is boring. The pundits are playing right into it because it generates revenue. I don't watch the NBA EVER because it's just evolved into crap. I loved the old days when the Lakers/Celtics/Pistons/Bulls really played the game. I love Defense in Football. To me, watching teams score 60 points on each other is not appealing. Outscoring your opponent is not good football (IMO).
Now, who from Alabama would not like to see Alabama put up, oh, about 45 points and hold Oklahoma to the combined scores vs LSU + Mittittippi Tate = "0" Is this possible? If so, it would be Alabama's GREATEST DEFENSE EVER!

I really love great DEFENSE by Alabama. It sends the opponents fans home unhappy!

Looks like the Big 12 plays Basketball on a football field.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Which team has the better offensive line? Push

Which team has has better wide receivers? Alabama

Which team is better at the tight end position? Alabama

Which team is better at the running back position? Alabama

Which team is better at the quarterback position? Push
Yea this is accurate. Brown is a great WR and Lamb is pretty solid but we still clearly have the advantage at WR.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So could one then say that, based on this statement and RTR's stats above showing clearly what teams who go on to win it all look like in terms of defense(#'s 14, 1, 6, and 1, respectively), that these fans care more about scoring than winning championships? Because it sure appears that way to me.
Oh, I think B12 fans would rather have it both ways, winning and high scoring. OTOH, I don't think it bothers them a bit if the other team scores 44, so long as OU scores. 45. As a defensive-minded Bama fan, it bothers the hell out of me. I still don't know how AR scored the number of points they did and it'll continue to bother me...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've always considered myself pretty much a realist when it comes to watching football. I can usually see points of view from both and maybe its just me but I think there has been a shift in OU fans since we played the home and home in the early 2000's. I get it, they score a lot of points, win a lot of Heisman's and even beat us in the sugar bowl so I guess we might as well not even show.

On a less tongue and cheek note, I think Alabama has to fix the issue with the LB's sealing the edges, picking up crossing routes and ID'ing RB's out of the backfield. To me its been an issue all year and Oklahoma has the offensive minded people to exploit it. Mack and Moses have the speed to spy but I have't seen the consistency there

I also really hope the "mental fatigue" thing has been worked out (for those that will say its the playoffs and that alone will pump up the team I could have said the same thing about Auburn and SECCG)

I think Oklahoma can win this game, its one game with ample time to prepare and stranger things have happened. However, I do believe, if OU wins they will get killed by Clemson. Its not the individual teams that make the SEC strong, its the beating you take from week to week. Clemson is every bit as physical as Bama and running that gauntlet would be way too much for OU (being so one-sided) In my opinion
The bolded part is my biggest worry going into this game. Lesser teams than OU have put enough pressure on us there to make us look confused at times. I hope there's a lot of work on it between now and 12/29...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Oh, I think B12 fans would rather have it both ways, winning and high scoring. OTOH, I don't think it bothers them a bit if the other team scores 44, so long as OU scores. 45. As a defensive-minded Bama fan, it bothers the hell out of me. I still don't know how AR scored the number of points they did and it'll continue to bother me...
I dig it. It is because historically we have made our bones on the defensive side of the ball. Defense wins championships is a creed and model we know works well. We are a defensive oriented team in a defensive oriented league and anything else just don't compute.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Arkansas had a big TE that was a mismatch for our defense from what I recall. And some weird circumstances at the end.

It’s a wonder why Kirby didn’t try Nauta more often against us, but then again we are talking about a guy that plays the qb hokey pokey and goes for it on 4th and 11.

Soonersrule1

Dec 9, 2018
Greetings from a fellow Sooner fan here, As much as it pains to me say this. I really don't see hanging around against you guys in the playoffs in a couple weeks. I think OU is a 'good' team, but Bama is a GREAT team and I really don't see a weakness at all(with the GOAT coach). As you guys know, OU is historically bad on defense, and they are facing a team which is just as good if not better than us on offense. We gave up about 17 yards a carry to the Kansas RB Pooka Williams. One of several 'landmark' achievements against our ....ty defense. You know Ole Saban will be out to trounce my Sooners after the 2014 Sugar Bowl. Proving the 2014 game was just a fluke. I think Kyler Murray will score some, but the Bama defense has playmakers all over the field unlike our defense. I was at the 2004 Orange Bowl against USC. We lost 55-19 to the Trojans. I could see something similar happening here. A 56-21, 56-24 type of game. Already have nightmares of what Jerry Jeudy, Jaylon Waddle, Henry Ruggs 3, Irv Smith, and those stud RB's are going to do to our defense. :redface:

Our defense has a long ways to go.

Have a tremendous respect for you fanbase though! Went to the 2003 game in Tuscaloosa, and your fans were the best. Thanks for hospitable environment. Never forget it.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Greetings from a fellow Sooner fan here, As much as it pains to me say this. I really don't see hanging around against you guys in the playoffs in a couple weeks. I think OU is a 'good' team, but Bama is a GREAT team and I really don't see a weakness at all(with the GOAT coach). As you guys know, OU is historically bad on defense, and they are facing a team which is just as good if not better than us on offense. We gave up about 17 yards a carry to the Kansas RB Pooka Williams. One of several 'landmark' achievements against our ....ty defense. You know Ole Saban will be out to trounce my Sooners after the 2014 Sugar Bowl. Proving the 2014 game was just a fluke. I think Kyler Murray will score some, but the Bama defense has playmakers all over the field unlike our defense. I was at the 2004 Orange Bowl against USC. We lost 55-19 to the Trojans. I could see something similar happening here. A 56-21, 56-24 type of game. Already have nightmares of what Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs 3, Irv Smith, and those stud RB's are going to do to our defense. :redface:

Our defense has a long ways to go.

Have a tremendous respect for you fanbase though! Went to the 2003 game in Tuscaloosa, and your fans were the best. Thanks for hospitable environment. Never forget it.
In reverse, I enjoyed the interaction with the Sooner fans at the 2003 game - a classy bunch. The 2014 game may mean something to Saban, considering how he hates to lose. However, our younger players, frosh and sophomores, weren't even in high school at the time, so I'm doubtful that OU beating us that long ago is worth much in the way of motivation of these kids.

As far as OU's chances, never say "never." I think you have a decent chance with a couple of TOs and a lucky bounce (or call) or two. The first thing I noticed about the line was how close it was to the line over UGA, and that was anything but a comfortable win...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
((100*87) + (8.4*1128) + (330*14) - (200*1))/124 = 182.219355
Jim's wife here - you are correct. Jim had 97 completions instead of 87 in his calculation (I see his data next to the laptop). Sorry for the confusion.

He will be home in a little while and I know that he wouldn't mind me pointing out his error. He believes in accuracy over ego.

I would wish you good luck in this game, but the best that I can do is wish that your team suffers no injuries.

Roll Tide!!!

Amy

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Arkansas had a big TE that was a mismatch for our defense from what I recall. And some weird circumstances at the end.

It’s a wonder why Kirby didn’t try Nauta more often against us, but then again we are talking about a guy that plays the qb hokey pokey and goes for it on 4th and 11.
I wondered the same, particularly with the confusion of our ILBs. If he's interfering in the play-calling, all I can say is that I sincerely hope that he continues...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Jim's wife here - you are correct. Jim had 97 completions instead of 87 in his calculation (I see his data next to the laptop). Sorry for the confusion.

He will be home in a little while and I know that he wouldn't mind me pointing out his error. He believes in accuracy over ego.

I would wish you good luck in this game, but the best that I can do is wish that your team suffers no injuries.

Roll Tide!!!

Amy
Why not "our team?" I thought you were the one with Bama connections. For that matter, it's long past time for him to drop the "your team"... :D

Trjtrjtrj

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2018
Roll Tide!!!
Amy
Thanks Amy. :smile:

Here's to a well-played game and no injuries!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Why not "our team?" I thought you were the one with Bama connections. For that matter, it's long past time for him to drop the "your team"... :D
I was talking to the Sooner fan quoted, so "your team" meant Oklahoma. You are correct - graduated from Alabama in 1989. My husband is fully converted except when we play the Buckeyes. He loves Ohio State, but he also loves Alabama now. I think that he gets more emotional during Alabama games than I do (could be a guy thing).

I don't post much anymore, but I read all the time. We share this laptop, and he bogarts the thing. :p

Roll Tide! We are going to win it all again this year, but without the drama.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was talking to the Sooner fan quoted, so "your team" meant Oklahoma. You are correct - graduated from Alabama in 1989. My husband is fully converted except when we play the Buckeyes. He loves Ohio State, but he also loves Alabama now. I think that he gets more emotional during Alabama games than I do (could be a guy thing).

I don't post much anymore, but I read all the time. We share this laptop, and he bogarts the thing. :p

Roll Tide! We are going to win it all again this year, but without the drama.
The same thing has happened with my wife and Ole Miss, although, with their recent troubles, I think she's abandoned the football program...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think there's enough "mystery" in this game, plus the tight Heisman campaign, plus the history of both programs, to attract and hold national attention...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.