Different Realities: Discrepancies in Sooner & Tide Fans Viewpoints

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
i stopped arguing with or worrying about what OU fans do or say the day one tried to tell me that Switzer was a better coach than Coach Bryant ever was.....

Can OU beat us? sure they can. will they? i don't know. that is why the game is played on grass not paper. i do know this, i would rather rely on the Tide defense stopping OU than on the OU defense stopping Bama. OU talks about murray murray murray while Bama talks Tua, Jerry, Devonta, Ruggs, D. Harris, Najee and Irv and Josh. who on the OU defense is talked about like Q, Buggs, Mack, Moses, Surtain, R. Davis and Thompson?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
i stopped arguing with or worrying about what OU fans do or say the day one tried to tell me that Switzer was a better coach than Coach Bryant ever was.....

Can OU beat us? sure they can. will they? i don't know. that is why the game is played on grass not paper. i do know this, i would rather rely on the Tide defense stopping OU than on the OU defense stopping Bama. OU talks about murray murray murray while Bama talks Tua, Jerry, Devonta, Ruggs, D. Harris, Najee and Irv and Josh. who on the OU defense is talked about like Q, Buggs, Mack, Moses, Surtain, R. Davis and Thompson?
I’ve heard more about Wilkinson being better than Saban more lately.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Well, like most Bama fans, I'll be pretty happy with a one point win. But what would make me really, really super happy is for Tyler Murray to be totally neutralized as a quarterback. I don't wish for him to suffer any injuries but I hope he is hurried and harried on every play and that TM spends half the game on his back or face down on the turf and the other half on the bench. Then I want Heisman voters to demand a re-vote and give the award unaninously to Tua.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A more appropriate comparison would be Bud vs Bear. The game is so different, cross-era comparisons are absolutely ridiculous and the province of fools...
Don’t get me wrong, the majority of Oklahoma fans that you’ll come across are like the majority of Alabama fans in that they love their team and can engage in civil discourse very well with others. But then you have those that have all the worst qualities of Texas, Nebraska, and Kansas fans that want to beat their chest and make you acknowledge their existence. Folks like Skip Bayless are the latter. It’s no secret of how the Bud is the GOAT campaign started when Skip started ripping CNS’s Championships.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Don’t get me wrong, the majority of Oklahoma fans that you’ll come across are like the majority of Alabama fans in that they love their team and can engage in civil discourse very well with others. But then you have those that have all the worst qualities of Texas, Nebraska, and Kansas fans that want to beat their chest and make you acknowledge their existence. Folks like Skip Bayless are the latter. It’s no secret of how the Bud is the GOAT campaign started when Skip started ripping CNS’s Championships.
If a third party had legal standing, I'd file a petition to change his name to "Skip Brainless," or "Skip Clueless," because he's the worst of the worst. He doesn't even believe his own BS. Should we beat OU by 40, I can guarantee you that his breakdown will begin with "but, but, but"...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
TideFans is the only forum I am a member of.
FWIW: TideFans is family friendly.

If I wanted something like Tigerdroppings, I would go to the zoo.

I have not, now will I ever join someone's football forum to bad mouth them.
I would never join a forum to argue why I think Alabama is better.
It's enough for me to know it...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To the OP - I want to offer my sincere apologies. My wife pointed out my mistake, and you deserve to hear (read) the apology from me directly. :redface:

Oh, and I still expect Alabama to trounce the Sooners. :biggrin2:

Roll Tide!!!

Trjtrjtrj

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2018
To the OP - I want to offer my sincere apologies. My wife pointed out my mistake, and you deserve to hear (read) the apology from me directly. :redface:
No problem -- but thanks for the gracious note. :cool:

Oh, and I still expect Alabama to trounce the Sooners. :biggrin2:
Bama is a great team this year -- they're certainly capable of steamrolling good teams. :eek:

I still think it will be a close game decided by mistakes.

southernoutlaw

Mar 26, 2018
i have two close friends who are both OU fans. We get together and hunt or fish several times a year, but since the playoff this year is between our schools we have been talklng a lot about football. The firm belief both have, and what I have seen most Sooner fans believe is the OU defense will get some stops on our offense. They also believe that our defense cannot stop the OU offense. there is no way to talk to these people in a reasonable manner. I finally told both of them that I am blocking their number until after the game, and we will talk more then. As good as the OU offense is it hasn't scored on every possession all year. Several teams have slowed them down, and I believe Bama will do a fairly good job of keeping them out of the endzone.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i have two close friends who are both OU fans. We get together and hunt or fish several times a year, but since the playoff this year is between our schools we have been talklng a lot about football. The firm belief both have, and what I have seen most Sooner fans believe is the OU defense will get some stops on our offense. They also believe that our defense cannot stop the OU offense. their is no way to talk to these people in a reasonable manner. I finally told both of them that I am blocking their number until after the game, and we will talk more then. As good as the OU offense is it hasn't scored on every possession all year. Several teams have slowed them down, and I believe Bama will do a fairly good job of keeping them out of the endzone.
This is pretty much the position across their boards, also. They don't really believe in Bama's offense or defense and they think the line is, well, out of line. They seem to vary from the slightly worried to the "not worried at all." Your decision not to discuss with them is a good one. Just raise your blood pressure...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is pretty much the position across their boards, also. They don't really believe in Bama's offense or defense and they think the line is, well, out of line. They seem to vary from the slightly worried to the "not worried at all." Your decision not to discuss with them is a good one. Just raise your blood pressure...
They are a mix between aTm’s behavior towards others and Auburn’s confidence.

I think they are worse now only because they feel that Alabama fans make excuses for their losses. They won that sugar bowl but want us to bow down for it. but here is the thing, Alabama fans don’t spend time obssessing over UGA and LSU fans excuses of why they lost to us we just enjoy the win. It’s like the GOT line goes, “ A lion doesn’t concern himself of the opinions of sheep”.

Point is “who cares as long as you come out as the winner”.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
i have two close friends who are both OU fans. We get together and hunt or fish several times a year, but since the playoff this year is between our schools we have been talklng a lot about football. The firm belief both have, and what I have seen most Sooner fans believe is the OU defense will get some stops on our offense. They also believe that our defense cannot stop the OU offense. there is no way to talk to these people in a reasonable manner. I finally told both of them that I am blocking their number until after the game, and we will talk more then. As good as the OU offense is it hasn't scored on every possession all year. Several teams have slowed them down, and I believe Bama will do a fairly good job of keeping them out of the endzone.
Ask them how many times did OU stop Pooka Williams. Tell them Pooka Williams couldn't play for Alabama.

southernoutlaw

Mar 26, 2018
One common thread that seems to keep coming up when discussing the game with any OU fan is they have only lost to Bama one time, and how we were favored the last time we played and they man handled us. For some reason they cannot comprehend what happened years ago isn't going to make any difference in the game this year, but don't try to tell them it won't.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Where I lose even the desire to discuss the game involves these twin points:

1) did Oklahoma score on every single drive this year? no

2) did Oklahoma play a defense better than Alabama this year? no

With those two scientific facts established, I cannot process the reasoning of, "You can't stop our offense," which is contradicted by the fact other teams have obviously stopped their offense at least some. Every single discussion THIS YEAR with this has come down to "but our offense," as though it's the greatest offense ever assembled. I think Tide fans who flippantly dismiss it with "but the Big 12 doesn't play defense" are wrong, too, but the idea this is the 83 Cornhuskers, 01 Miami, and 13 Seminoles offenses all rolled into one is flat out ridiculous.

I thought Georgia actually underachieved just a bit in the OU game last year, I thought they'd do a little bit better than they did at stopping the Sooners. But please Sooners - no appeals to your win over a four-loss Auburn in 2016 as proof of superiority of anything. UCF beat a better Auburn team in a bowl, too, but it wasn't proof of anything.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here's the thing about that Sugar Bowl - it's an afterthought to most Bama fans. It's not so much that we'd rather forget about it as that it was forgettable in every way, being sandwiched between two losses that hurt far more.
That's spot on. They want 2014 to really bother us - and it bothers the hell out of them that it doesn't bother us. Bama fans understand that game and just shrug. There's no doubt in my mind that they believe this game will duplicate that one...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
That's spot on. They want 2014 to really bother us - and it bothers the hell out of them that it doesn't bother us. Bama fans understand that game and just shrug. There's no doubt in my mind that they believe this game will duplicate that one...
Just a little further insight into their view of that game—They don’t buy the “our guys didn’t want to be there” excuse because we drove down on our initial drive in that game and scored a td. Hence, they feel like they took our best effort and still prevailed. Shortsighted IMO, but TIFWIW

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.