Different Realities: Discrepancies in Sooner & Tide Fans Viewpoints

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I’ve also never seen a stranger fumble. The Auburn defender came from the opposite side of the ball, not only caught Mark, but knocked it out of a normally sure-handed Mark’s arm. I’ll never understand how it disn’t Just roll out of bounds.
That's one reason I tend to approach big games with an anything can happen type attitude. That play changed what looked like a blowout completely. I mean it bounces out of bounds and Alabama is set up for a TD, instead it bounces through and the other team gets the ball. Plays like that can completely change a game, on a fluke, and that one sure did.

44boz

Dec 6, 2018
I agree the odds are in your defense favor. But you cant say what is gonna happen. No one can. You can predict what you think may happen but they still got to play the game.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Haven't read all the comments and replies, arguments. Yeah Oklahoma has a record setting offense this season. I just wonder what kind of records Bama's offense could have shattered this season had coach Saban let his offense go all "Steve Spurrier" on teams this season?

Has Bama ever had as bad a defense, stat wise, as what Oklahoma's defense has done this season? Bama has had some losing seasons but dang if I can recall Bama's defense ever being that bad!

Nevertheless...Oklahoma made it into the CFP and has to be respected. I keep reading the game could turn out to be a high scoring affair, a shootout, and it could be that way. It could also be a blowout with Bama holding Oklahoma to 21 points or less. Held Clemson to 6 points last year in the semi's.

I just don't see a highly motivated Bama team losing to Oklahoma this time the way they did a few years ago in the Sugar bowl. Just don't...

NorthernTide

Scout Team
Aug 7, 2006
Largo, FL.
One thing I think is being overlooked. Everyone is saying that "Bama hasn't faced an offense like OU's", but I contend that we face one very very close in practice everyday! Roll Tide!

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
One thing is OU will score some, they are good offense, but OU defense will get wore out by us for sure. That defense is about to get run on big time, and passed on. Our D will do enough to slow OU offense and win the game, I have no doubt about that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One thing I think is being overlooked. Everyone is saying that "Bama hasn't faced an offense like OU's", but I contend that we face one very very close in practice everyday! Roll Tide!
A number of people have pointed that out, plus Georgia's offense was very, very good by the time Alabama faced them. So, OU's offense is great, but let's not pretend that Alabama has not faced some very good offenses to prepare them for this game. The one thing that Alabama has not faced is Murray. We learned from the Clemson games that a single player can make a huge difference in a game (Watson). But Alabama has 2 guys like Watson on the team (Tua and Q), plus Jalen as player who can really add a twist.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree the odds are in your defense favor. But you cant say what is gonna happen. No one can. You can predict what you think may happen but they still got to play the game.
No, we believe we can win this game by posting on the internet!

Good grief, your first post is to tell us this little known fact???

44boz

Dec 6, 2018
I totally agree with everything you have said. Being a lifelong Sooner it amazes me to think we have had players on defense like the Boz, and Selmons. George Cumby and Tony Casillas and Ricky Bryan. I can't understand how Bob Stoops let that side of the team go downhill so bad. But I lay the majority of the defensive problems at this time on him and his brother. Hopefully we come out of it with a new DC worth a Damn. This DC hire will define LR at OU. Imo...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He was so OTL that he had the entire team drug-tested, coming back from the ARK game, because he was convinced that had to be the answer. At the same time, his assistants were wandering around the practice field during practice, glued to their cell phones, making their own deals, instead of coaching. There's "stupid," and there's monumentally, incurably "stupid"...
I didn't know this, but it doesn't surprise me.

I did not see the UCLA game, I was visiting family out in the country. But we looked horrible against Vandy even though the scoreboard suggested wipeout.

But that USM game was the nadir of my time as an Alabama fan. Worse than losing to Auburn in 89, worse than any of the probations, worse than Mike Price getting caught at the club. We literally did not even put up anything resembling a fight that night. Sometimes - and it was common during the Shula years - the other team is just that much better than you are. LSU in both 97 and 03. No big deal. But the lack of effort, motivation, or anything in that game...at that point I was ready to just jump teams it was so bad.

Ivan Maisel wrote a book about that season and after that game Dubious was sitting on a chair crying about how he couldn't get anything done even though he was doing the same stuff that had worked in 1999. That should have been the end of him that night, and I think if Mal was not concerned with looking like he was over-reacting to a coach only four games removed from an SEC championship, he would have.

So once UCF was actually giving us a game, I was loudly cheering for them to beat us. I had a church function I was dipping in and out of, and I got in my van to listen to the fourth quarter. When UCF won, I was raising arms and telling the (mostly) MSU fan base at the church, "Enjoy your win this year because Dubious is gone now." And even they agreed it was the end.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
But that USM game was the nadir of my time as an Alabama fan. Worse than losing to Auburn in 89, worse than any of the probations, worse than Mike Price getting caught at the club. We literally did not even put up anything resembling a fight that night.
Man, that was brutal. My brother and I were in the stands and I remember looking over to him at some point in the 4th quarter after Tyler threw a 4-yard out, saying “Our coaches know we are down by 3 TDs right?”

One of my lowest times as a Bama fan, for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.